Dr Adam Jan Sadowski is a Senior Lecturer in Structural Engineering. His research interests include the theoretical and computational simulation of the strength and stability of complex metal shell structures, for which he employs methods from shell theory, finite element analysis, applied mathematics and solid mechanics.
Dr Sadowski plays an active role in European Standards development for thin-walled shell structures. He is:
- Convenor of CEN / TC250 / SC3 / WG6 on the Evolution of EN 1993-1-6 on the strength and stability of metal shells.
- Member of CEN / TC250 / SC3 / WG7, WG15 and WG16 on the Evolution of EN 1993-1-7 on plate assemblies, EN 1993-4-1 on silos and EN 1993-4-2 on tanks respectively.
- Former member of CEN / TC250 / SC3 / PT5 on the re-development of EN 1993-1-6 and EN 1993-1-7 (now completed) as part of Mandate M/515 (phase 2).
- Member of CEN / TC250 / SC3 / PT12 on the re-development of EN 1993-4-1 and EN 1993-4-2 (ongoing) as part of Mandate M/515 (phase 4).
- Member of CEN / TC250 / SC1 / WG5 on the Evolution of EN 1991-4 on actions on silos and tanks.
- Former member of CEN / TC250 / SC1 / PT10 on the re-development of EN 1991-4 (now completed) as part of Mandate M/515 (phase 2).
- Co-convenor of ECCS TWG 8.4 on the stability of steel shells.
- MEng in Structural and Fire Safety Engineering (The University of Edinburgh, 2007; 1st class Honours)
- PhD in Structural Engineering (The University of Edinburgh, 2010) - Thesis title "Modelling of Failures in Thin-Walled Metal Silos under Eccentric Discharge"
- MSc in Mathematics (The University of Edinburgh, 2012; with Distinction)
- MEd in University Learning and Teaching (Imperial College London, 2018; with Distinction)
- Member of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (MIMA) since 2014
- Chartered Mathematician (CMath) since 2015
- Chartered Scientist (CSci) since 2015
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) since 2016
- Associate Editor of Advances in Structural Engineering since 2018
Orcid ID: orcid.org/0000-0003-2099-1895
Scopus ID: 23493545700
ResearchGate profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Sadowski
Brief career history
- 2013-2018: Lecturer in Structural Engineering at Imperial College London, working amongst other things on an EPSRC-funded project on cylindrical shells under moment gradients.
- 2011-2013: Research Associate at The University of Edinburgh, working on the EU-funded "Combitube" project on the strength of massive tubular members in bending.
- 2012: Teaching Assistant at The University of Edinburgh, delivering the courses "Theory of Structures" and "Plastic Analysis of Frames and Slabs".
Sadowski AJ, Rotter JM, Nielsen J, 2021, A theory for pressures in cylindrical silos under concentric mixed flow, Chemical Engineering Science, Vol:230, ISSN:0009-2509
Sadowski A, Rotter JM, Nielsen J, 2020, A theory for pressures in cylindrical silos under concentric mixed flow, Chemical Engineering Science, Vol:223, ISSN:0009-2509
et al., 2020, Critical buckling strains in thick cold-formed circular hollow sections under cyclic loading, Asce Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol:146, ISSN:0733-9445, Pages:1-13
Wang J, Sadowski A, 2020, Elastic imperfect cylindrical shells of varying length under combined axial compression and bending, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol:146, ISSN:0733-9445, Pages:04020014-1-04020014-12
et al., 2020, Cylindrical shells under uniform bending in the framework of Reference Resistance Design, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol:166, ISSN:0143-974X