I) Haemostasis and thrombosis:
1.Research into recurrent miscarriage: this includes research into the underlying causes and the potential association with prothrombotic states and the influence of antithrombotic intervention. I led on the laboratory services, which ensured the delivery of the thrombophilia testing for the recurrent miscarriage services at St Mary’s Hospital. The work was published in several papers, which supported the genesis of national and international guidelines:
- Bose P; Black S; Kadyrov M; Bartz C; Shlebak A; Regan L; Huppertz B. (2004). Adverse effects of lupus anticoagulant positive blood sera on placental viability can be prevented by heparin in vitro. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 191:2125-2131. Publisher weblink DOI.
- Rai R; Backos M; Elgaddal S; Shlebak AA; Regan L. (2002). Factor V Leiden and recurrent miscarriage-prospective outcome of untreated pregnancies. Hum Reprod. 17:442-445. Publisher weblink
- Randle E, Bakos M, Rae R, Marriot K, Lopez L, Regan L, Shlebak AA. (2002). The prevalence of antibody isotopes against phosphlipids and b-2-glycoproteins in women with recurrent miscarriage. Brit J Haem, 117 (suppl. 1) 49-93
- Rai R; Shlebak AA; Cohen H; Backos M; Holmes Z; Marriott K; Regan L. (2001). Factor V Leiden and acquired activated protein C resistance among 1000 women with recurrent miscarriage. Hum Reprod. 16:961-965. Publisher weblink
2.Prevention of VTE: major interest in the VTE prevention strategies. I led on research and published data on how to improve uptake of VTE prevention on medical patients. This work contributed locally and nationally on VTE guidelines and attracted a massive response in the medical community and the media including a BBC news interview by the scientific editor. I later contributed significantly into local guidelines and was instrumental in the planning for, delivery, and implementation of DoH CQUIN VTE prevention initiative. I led on publishing this experience.
- Rashid ST; Thursz MR; Razvi NA; Voller R; Orchard T; Shlebak AA. (2005). Venous thromboprophylaxis in UK medical inpatients. J R Soc Med. 98:507-512. Publisher weblink DOI.
- Shlebak AA, Polly Sandhu, Vernisha Ali, Garth Jones, Christopher Baker.(2016). The impact of the DoH Commissioning for Quality and Innovation incentive on the venous thromboembolism risk assessment implementation in hospitalised patients: A single institution experience over a 4-year cycle, a quality improvement outcome. JRSM Open 6; 7(6): 2054270416632702
Optimisation and safety of anticoagulation: Investigation on methods of point of care testing for INR and root cause analysis for discrepancies between capillary and venous INR
- Milne M; Stevenson K J; Craig S; Shlebak A; Amponsah E; McCarthy P; Allaw A. (2003). Improving the quality of INR determination in the anticoagulantion clinic. Journal of thrombosis and Haemostasis. 1.
- Shlebak AA, Iqbal Malik. (2009) Managing heparin in patients with prosthetic cardiac valves “balancing the risk”. Heart 95:1643-1645.
- AF Lennox, J Smout, A Shlebak, JHN Wolfe. (2001). Warfarin-induced Skin Necrosis: Association with Heparin-induced Thrombocytopenia and Protein S Deficiency. EJVES Extra, 2001 – Elsevier
- Gallagher D; Shlebak AA. (2001). Outpatient treatment of DVT: time for a change?. Thrombus. 5.
3.Novel therapeutic approaches in Stroke
Contributed to the studying the use of CD-34 haemopoietic stem cells by arranging and ensuring aseptic technique in collection of bone marrows from patients in the study. This was first in humans study. The paper was short-listed for the The STEM CELLS Translational Medicine Young Investigator Award honors
- Bentley P, Banerjee S, Hamady M, Gordon M, Davis J, Marley S, Williamson D, McColgan P, Mehta A, Waldman A, Quest R, McRobbie D, Shlebak A, Nicholls J, Habib N, Chataway J. (2011). Phase I trial of intra-arterial autologous CD34 haematopoietic stem cells in acute ischaemic stroke. Int J Stroke.
4.Other haemostasis and thrombosis research publications
- Salem A. Beshyah, Issam M. Hajjaji2, Wanis H. Ibrahim, Asma Deeb, Ashraf M. El-Ghul5, Khalid Bel’eed Akkari, Ashref A. Tawil, Abdul Shlebak. (2018). The Year in Ramadan Fasting Research (2017): A Narrative Review of the literature. Ibnosina J Med Biomed Sci 10:2-39.
- Shlebak AA. (2017). Platelet genesis: Unraveling an incredible journey! Ibnosina J Med Biomed Sci ;9:4-101.
- Shlebak A A, Alexia D Katsarou, George Adams, Fiona Fernando. (2016). A novel mutation in exon 2 of FGB caused by c.221G>T substitution, predicting the replacement of of the native Arginine at position 74 with a Leucine (p.Arg74Leu) in a Kurdish family with dysfibrinogenaemia and familial venous and arterial thrombosis. Thromb and Thrombolysis Journal Thromb Thrombolysis 1-8. DOI:10.1007/s11239-016-1439-z.
- Shlebak AA. (2016). Cerebral venous thrombosis as a manifestation of antiphospholipid syndrome. J Clin Path 69 (4):337-43.
- Pintilie H, Raghunanan S, Shlebak A, Everitt A, Foster C. (2016). Venous sinus thrombosis in a patient with perinatally acquired HIV, a paediatric case report HIV MEDICINE 17:36-36.
- Shlebak AA, Anthony Poles, Richard Manning, Shaikha Almuhareb, Josu De La Funte, Mike Mitchell and Geoff Lucas.. A novel homozygous c.800C>G substitution in GP1BA exon2 predicting the replacement 1 of the native Serine at codon 267 with a premature termination codon (p.Ser267*) in a Kuwaiti family with Bernard-Soulier syndrome. Acta Haematology ;134:193-198 (DOI: 10.1159/000381328
- Victoria Campbell, Kevin Marriott, (2015). Rex Stanbridge, and Shlebak AA. Successful Aortic Aneurysm Repair in a Woman with Severe von Willebrand (Type 3) Disease. Case Rep Hematol. Case Rep Hematol 19;2015:703803.
- Shlebak AA. (2013). Novel Oral Anticoagulants: A New Era in Anti-Thrombotic Therapy. Ibnosina J Med BS :247-253.
- Samantha Coulson, Aruchuna Mohanaruban, Abdul Shlebak and Antoni Sergot. (2012). An unusual cause of bleeding in an elderly patient. Clinical Medicine, Vol 12, No 2: 150–2.
II) Research in education
Contributed to the literature in education by exploring difference between training eras. Some of the proposed recommendation in our work is being considered in the forthcoming changes in the training curriculum in haematology
- Shlebak AA, Bain BJ. (2017). Training Future Haematologists, a privilege or a burden? “A trainer’s view”. BJH. DOI: 10.1111/bjh14697
Contributed to several chapters in books relevant to trainees in surgery and other disciplines
- Shlebak AA. Haematology and Transfusion for MRCS, Royal College of Surgeons Training Manual.
- Purkayastha Sanjay; Shlebak Abdul. Haematological Considerations: thrombosis in surgery. In Hospital Surgery, foundations in surgical practice, 41-47.. Cambridge Uni Press, USA (01 Apr 2009).
- Purkayastha Sanjay; Shlebak Abdul. Haematological Considerations: Bleeding. In Hospital Surgery, Foundations in Surgical Practice, 48-56. Eds: Omer Aziz, Sanjay Purkayastha and Paraskevas Paraskeva. Cambridge Uni Press, USA (2009).
- Purkayastha Sanjay; Shlebak Abdul. Haematological Considerations: Blood Products and Transfusion. In Hospital Surgery: Foundations in Surgical Practice. 1, 1:59-63. Eds: Omer Aziz, Sanjay Purkayastha, Paraskevas Paraskeva. Cambridge Uni Press, USA (2009).
- Purkayastha Sanjay; Uprichard James; Shlebak Abdul. Haematological Considerations: Haemorrhage (massive-bleeding protocol). In Hospital Surgery: Foundations in Surgical Practice. 1, 1:57-58. Eds: Omer Aziz, Sanjay Purkayastha, Paraskevas Paraskeva. Cambridge Uni Press, USA (2009).
- Shlebak AA. Pathophysiological Aspects of Coagulation. In HAEMOSTASIS IN SURGERY. 1, 1:1-92. Eds: Nadey S Hakim & Ruben Canelo. Imperial College Press, UK (2007).
III) General and haemato-oncology;
- Neave EL, Schwarb H, Shlebak A, Layton DM, Apperley JF, Pavlu J. (2012) Lymphodepletion chemotherapy followed by donor leukocytes for post transplantation relapse of myelofibrosis after previous donor leukocyte infusion failure. Eur J Haematol.
- Brooks C; Burbridge J; Marks S; Shlebak A; Ryley S. A novel rearrangement in an atypical myeloproliferative neoplasm with subsequent development of an unrelated clone following transformation to AML. British Human Genetics Conference 2011; 48:S85-S85.
- Hutchinson CV, Burthem J, Bisland M, Carey P, Crotty G, Devalia V, Janda B, Gordon W, Harrison CN, Murray J, Shlebak A, Thomas A, Wilkins B, McMullin MF. British Society for Haematology, slide session, annual scientific meeting, Glasgow, 2008. Int J Lab Hematol. 2010 Apr;32(2):174-83.Publisher weblink DOI
- Shlebak AA; Marley SB; Roberts IA; Davidson RJ; Goldman JM; Gordon MY. (Jan 1999). Optimal timing for processing and cryopreservation of umbilical cord haematopoietic stem cells for clinical transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 23:131-136. Publisher weblink DOI.
- Shlebak AA; Roberts IA; Stevens TA; Syzdlo RM; Goldman JM; Gordon MY. (Dec 1998). The impact of antenatal and perinatal variables on cord blood haemopoietic stem/progenitor cell yield available for transplantation. Br J Haematol. 103:1167-1171. Publisher weblink.
- Shlebak AA; Lewis JL; Marley SB; Davidson RJ; Roberts IAG; Goldman JM; Gordon MY. (15 Nov 1998). The influence of the cytokine receptor signalling class on cord blood progenitor; cell self replication kinetics. Blood. 92:580A-581A.
- Shlebak AA; Marley SB; Roberts IAG; Goldman JM; Gordon MY. (May 1998). Variables affecting umbilical cord blood progenitor stem cell yield for clinical transplantation. Br J Haematol. 101:96-96.
- Shlebak AA; Smith DB. (1997). Incidence of objectively diagnosed thromboembolic disease in cancer patients undergoing cytotoxic chemotherapy and/or hormonal therapy. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 39:462-466. Publisher weblink.
- Shlebak AA; Clark PI; Green JA. (1995). Hypersensitivity and cross-reactivity to cisplatin and analogues. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 35:349-351. Publisher weblink.
- Clark RE; Shlebak AA; Creagh MD. (Dec 1994). Delayed commencement of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor following autologous bone marrow transplantation accelerates neutrophil recovery and is cost-effective. Leuk Lymphoma. 16:141-146. Publisher weblink.
Therapeutic options in management of cancer associated thrombosis, Imperial College, London, 2019
Cancer associated thrombosis: recent developments, Masterclass Royal Marsden Hospital, London., London, 2019
New therapeutic developments in cancer associated thrombosis., . The national association of UK anaesthetist, London, 2018
Perioperative anticoagulation in Bariatrics., London Bariatric & renal disease group., London, 2018
Anticoagulants today "spoilt for choice", London Cardiovascular Society, London, 2016
Optimising Community Anticoagulation, Brent CCGs, London, 2016
Novel Anticoagulants today, SSBMT, Riyadh, 2016
Cancer Associated Thrombosis, Saudi Society Bone Marrow Transplantation, Riyadh, KSA, 2016
Anticoagulation "old and New", London Cardiovascular Society, London, 2015
Venous thromboembolism "The silent killer", Libyan Doctors Society, 1ST Annual meeting, Manchester
Haemophilia care in the 21th Century, 1st Libyan Doctors Conference, Tripoli