Ahmer Wadee is Professor of Nonlinear Mechanics in the Structures Section and leads the research group specializing in the field of Nonlinear Structural Stability. His primary research interests involve modelling buckling instabilities in metallic and composite material structures using analytical methods. In 2014, he was listed as one of the 100 leading UK practising scientists by The Science Council.
Ahmer has won prizes for his research work from the Institution of Civil Engineers and the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications. He serves as an Associate Editor for the international journal Thin-Walled Structures and on the Editorial Board of Structures, the research journal of the Institution of Structural Engineers. He served as Chair of the Stability Committee of the ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute from 2017-19. He was also co-editor of the book 50 Visions of Mathematics published by Oxford University Press.
Ahmer is the Director of Postgraduate Research and oversees the academic progression of PhD students within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. In 2021, he was awarded the Imperial President's Medal for Excellence in Teaching, while in 2018 he received an Imperial President's Award for Excellence in Research Supervision.
- 1994: BEng (1st class honours) - Civil Engineering at Imperial College London
- 1995: MSc (Distinction) - Structural Steel Design at Imperial College London
- 1998: PhD - Nonlinear Mechanics Group, Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath
- 2011: FIMA - Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (Member: 2002-11)
- 2019: MASCE - Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Associate Member: 2014-19)
- 2002: CMath - Chartered Mathematician
- 2005: CSci - Chartered Scientist
Brief career history
- Since 09/2015: Professor of Nonlinear Mechanics at Imperial
- 08/2011 - 08/2015: Reader in Nonlinear Mechanics at Imperial
- 10/2007 - 07/2011: Senior Lecturer at Imperial
- 09/1999 - 09/2007: Lecturer at Imperial
- 10/1998 - 09/1999: Research Officer (PDRA) at University of Bath, Centre for Nonlinear Mechanics
Wu K, Wadee MA, Gardner L, 2020, Interactive buckling in prestressed stayed beam-columns, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol:174, ISSN:0020-7403
Wadee MA, Phillips ATM, Bekele A, 2020, Effects of disruptive inclusions in sandwich core lattices to enhance energy absorbency and structural isolation performance, Frontiers in Materials, Vol:7, ISSN:2296-8016
Hadjipantelis N, Gardner L, Wadee MA, 2018, Prestressed cold-formed steel beams: concept and mechanical behaviour, Engineering Structures, Vol:172, ISSN:0141-0296, Pages:1057-1072
Shen J, Wadee MA, 2018, Length effects on interactive buckling in thin-walled rectangular hollow section struts, Thin-Walled Structures, Vol:128, ISSN:0263-8231, Pages:152-170
et al., 2017, Nonlinear mode interaction in equal-leg angle struts susceptible to cellular buckling, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences, Vol:473, ISSN:1364-5021, Pages:1-22
Lapira L, Wadee MA, Gardner L, 2017, Stability of multiple-crossarm prestressed stayed columns with additional stay systems, Structures, Vol:12, ISSN:2352-0124, Pages:227-241
Yu J, Wadee MA, 2017, Mode interaction in triple-bay prestressed stayed columns, International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics, Vol:88, ISSN:1878-5638, Pages:47-66