Ahmer Wadee is Professor of Nonlinear Mechanics in the Structures Section and leads the research group specializing in the field of Nonlinear Structural Stability. His primary research interests involve modelling buckling instabilities in metallic and composite material structures using analytical methods. In 2014, he was listed as one of the 100 leading UK practising scientists by The Science Council.
Ahmer has won prizes for his research work from the Institution of Civil Engineers and the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications. He serves as Editor for Thin-Walled Structures and is on the Editorial Board of Structures, the research journal of the Institution of Structural Engineers. He served as Chair of the Stability Committee of the ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute from 2017-19. He was also co-editor of the book 50 Visions of Mathematics published by Oxford University Press.
Ahmer is the Director of Postgraduate Research and oversees the academic progression of PhD students within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. In 2021, he was awarded the Imperial President's Medal for Excellence in Teaching, while in 2018 he received an Imperial President's Award for Excellence in Research Supervision.
- 1994: BEng (1st class honours) - Civil Engineering at Imperial College London
- 1995: MSc (Distinction) - Structural Steel Design at Imperial College London
- 1998: PhD - Nonlinear Mechanics Group, Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath
- 2011: FIMA - Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (Member: 2002-11)
- 2019: MASCE - Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (Associate Member: 2014-19)
- 2002: CMath - Chartered Mathematician
- 2005: CSci - Chartered Scientist
Brief career history
- Since 09/2015: Professor of Nonlinear Mechanics at Imperial
- 08/2011 - 08/2015: Reader in Nonlinear Mechanics at Imperial
- 10/2007 - 07/2011: Senior Lecturer at Imperial
- 09/1999 - 09/2007: Lecturer at Imperial
- 10/1998 - 09/1999: Research Officer (PDRA) at University of Bath, Centre for Nonlinear Mechanics
Bekele A, Wadee MA, Phillips ATM, 2023, Enhancing energy absorption through sequential instabilities in mechanical metamaterials, Royal Society Open Science, Vol:10, ISSN:2054-5703, Pages:1-19
et al., 2023, Probing in-situ capacities of prestressed stayed columns: Towards a novel structural health monitoring technique, Royal Society of London. Philosophical Transactions A. Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, Vol:381, ISSN:1364-503X
Köllner A, Wadee MA, 2022, A novel discrete coordinate approach to modelling nonlinear structural instability problems with material damage, European Journal of Mechanics A - Solids, Vol:96, ISSN:0997-7538, Pages:1-13
Lapira L, Wadee MA, Gardner L, 2021, Nonlinear analytical modelling of flat and hyperbolic paraboloidal panels under shear, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical & Engineering Sciences, Vol:477, ISSN:1364-5021, Pages:1-19
et al., 2021, Behaviour and design of fixed-ended steel equal-leg angle section columns, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol:182, ISSN:0143-974X
Wu K, Wadee MA, Gardner L, 2020, Interactive buckling in prestressed stayed beam-columns, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol:174, ISSN:0020-7403
Hadjipantelis N, Gardner L, Wadee MA, 2018, Prestressed cold-formed steel beams: concept and mechanical behaviour, Engineering Structures, Vol:172, ISSN:0141-0296, Pages:1057-1072