Bamber's research interests include:
- Fracture mechanics of engineering adhesive joints
- Surface pre-treatment and adhesive bonding
- Delamination of composite materials
- High speed impact response and high speed photography
- Structure-property relationships (including atomic force microscopy and dynamic mechanical analysis)
- Standardisation of fracture test methods
Bamber has authored over 80 refereed papers and book chapters to date. He has presented research at many international conferences and has co-authored and managed the development of British Standard 7991:2001, a method to measure GIC in structural adhesive joints.