Bikash Pal is Professor of Power Systems at Imperial College London. He is research active in power system stability, control and computation. His research is sponsored by EPSRC, National Grid, GE, ABB,SIEMENS, UK Power Networks. He is currently leading a six-university UK-China research consortium (2020-2023) in Sustainable Energy Networks. In the past he led an eight-university UK-India research consortium (2013-2017) on Smart Grid and Storage and a six-university UK-China research consortium (2014-2017) in Smart Grid and Control . SIEMENS R&D collaborated with him to develop fast power flow and volt-var control tools in Spectrum Power, an advanced module for distribution management system solution from SIEMENS. This is now commissioned in distribution control centres in Columbia, Bosnia Norway and Azerbaijan serving 15 million customers in these countries. GE commissioned sequel of projects with him to analyse and solve wind farm HVDC grid interaction problems (2013-2019). His research group has received 2016 President Award for Outstanding Research. He served as consultant to United Nations, GE, ALSTOM, National Grid, UK Power Networks . He has graduated 23 PhDs and published about 140 technical papers in IEEE Transactions and IET journals. He has co-authored four books and two award winning IEEE Task Force/Working Group reports.
As Vice President of Publication, Power and Energy Society (PES), of IEEE he sets and lead the delivery of the plan to sustain the growth in quality, impact and annual revenue ( currently about $5M) and also offers leadership as Governing Board member for the growth of the society. As IEEE Periodical committee member he was part of team that approves new periodicals and reviews the performance of the current periodicals. He chaired an IEEE Working Group in state estimation for power distribution applications. Since 2008 , as an IEEE Distinguished Lecturer he has been offering special lectures and tutorials in power system control and computation . He was Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. He is Series Editor of Elesevier series on Sustainable Energies and Fellow of IEEE for his contribution to power system stability and control. He was Otto Monstead Internatonal Professor at Denmark Technical University (DTU) in 2019, and Mercator Professor at University of Duisburg-Essen in 2011 invited respectively by the Ottomonstead Foundation and German Research Foundation (DFG). He holds a Visiting Professorship at Tsinghua University, China.
Prospective PhD Positions
PhD positions are available for outstanding students having master with background of power system modelling and simulations. Information about general scholarships are available in college scholarship section
DYNAMICS, stability & Control
- N. A. Cifuentes Otto, M. Sun, R. Gupta and B. C. Pal, "Black-Box Impedance-Based Stability Assessment of Dynamic Interactions Between Converters and Grid," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2021.3128812.
- Y. Cheng et al., "Real-World Subsynchronous Oscillation Events in Power Grids with High Penetrations of Inverter-Based Resources," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2022.3161418.
- N. Hatziargyriou et al., "Definition and Classification of Power System Stability – Revisited & Extended," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 3271-3281, July 2021, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2020.3041774.
- B Pawar, E. I. Batzelis, S Chakrabarti, B. C. Pal , “Grid-Forming Control for Solar PV Systems with Power
Reserves” , IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 12, no 4, pp 1947-59, October 2021
- X. He, H. Geng, R. Li and B. C. Pal, "Transient Stability Analysis and Enhancement of Renewable Energy Conversion System During LVRT," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 1612-1623, July 2020.
- M. Ghazavi Dozein, B. C. Pal and P. Mancarella, "Dynamics of Inverter-Based Resources in Weak Distribution Grids," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2022.3142016.
- H. R. Ali, L. P. Kunjumuhammed, B. C. Pal, A. G. Adamczyk and K. Vershinin, "A Trajectory Piecewise-Linear Approach to Nonlinear Model Order Reduction of Wind Farms," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 894-905, April 2020, doi: 10.1109/TSTE.2019.2912037.
- H. R. Ali and B. C. Pal, "Model Order Reduction of Multi-Terminal Direct-Current Grid Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 699-711, Jan. 2021, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2020.3005773.
- J. Liu, R. Singh and B. C. Pal, "Distribution System State Estimation With High Penetration of Demand Response Enabled Loads," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 3093-3104, July 2021, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2020.3047269.
- J. Zhao et al., "Roles of Dynamic State Estimation in Power System Modeling, Monitoring and Operation," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 2462-2472, May 2021, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2020.3028047.
- Y. Liu et al., "Dynamic State Estimation for Power System Control and Protection," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 5909-5921, Nov. 2021, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2021.3079395.
- Y. Guo, B. C. Pal, R. A. Jabr and H. Geng, "Global Optimality of Inverter Dynamic Voltage Support," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2021.3133715.
- Y. Guo, B. C. Pal and R. A. Jabr, "On the Optimality of Voltage Unbalance Attenuation by Inverters," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, doi: 10.1109/TSTE.2022.3163074.
- F. Ul Nazir, B. C. Pal and R. A. Jabr, "Affinely Adjustable Robust Volt/VAr Control without Centralized Computations," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2022.3158816.
- F. U. Nazir, B. C. Pal and R. A. Jabr, "Approximate Load Models for Conic OPF Solvers," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 549-552, Jan. 2021, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2020.3029370.
- F. U. Nazir, B. C. Pal and R. A. Jabr, "Distributed Solution of Stochastic Volt/VAr Control in Radial Networks," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 5314-5324, Nov. 2020, doi: 10.1109/TSG.2020.3002100.
- H. Karbouj, Z. H. Rather and B. C. Pal, "Adaptive Voltage Control for Large Scale Solar PV Power Plant Considering Real Life Factors," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 990-998, April 2021, doi: 10.1109/TSTE.2020.3029102.
- Y. Gupta, S. Doolla, K. Chatterjee and B. C. Pal, "Optimal DG Allocation and Volt–Var Dispatch for a Droop-Based Microgrid," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 169-181, Jan. 2021, doi: 10.1109/TSG.2020.3017952.
FAULT ANALYSIS AND PROTECTION
- J. Nsengiyaremye, B. C. Pal and M. M. Begovic, "Microgrid Protection Using Low-Cost Communication Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 2011-2020, Aug. 2020, doi: 10.1109/TPWRD.2019.2959247.
- J. Nsengiyaremye, B. C. Pal and M. M. Begovic, "Low-Cost Communication-Assisted Line Protection for Multi-Inverter Based Microgrids," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 3371-3382, Dec. 2021, doi: 10.1109/TPWRD.2020.3039176.
- N. Cifuentes and B. C. Pal, "A New Approach to the Fault Location Problem: Using the Fault’s Transient Intermediate Frequency Response," IEEE Open Access Journal of Power and Energy, vol. 8, pp. 510-521, 2021, doi: 10.1109/OAJPE.2021.3089678.
Anagnostou G, Puthenpurayl Linash K, Pal B, 2019, Dynamic state estimation for wind turbine models with unknown wind velocity, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:34, ISSN:0885-8950, Pages:3879-3890
Majumdar A, Pal BC, 2018, Bad data detection in the context of leverage point attacks in modern power networks, Ieee Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol:9, ISSN:1949-3061, Pages:2042-2054
Anagnostou G, Pal BC, 2017, Derivative-free Kalman filtering based approaches to dynamic state estimation for power systems with unknown inputs, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:33, ISSN:1558-0679, Pages:116-130
Cai L, Thornhill NF, Pal BC, 2017, Multivariate detection of power system disturbances based on fourth order moment and singular value decomposition, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:32, ISSN:1558-0679, Pages:4289-4297
Singh A, Pal B, 2016, An extended linear quadratic regulator for LTI systems with exogenous inputs, Automatica, Vol:76, ISSN:0005-1098, Pages:10-16
et al., 2016, The adequacy of the present practice in dynamic aggregated modelling of wind farm systems, Ieee Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol:8, ISSN:1949-3037, Pages:23-32
et al., 2016, Benchmark models for the analysis and control of small-signal oscillatory dynamics in power systems, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:32, ISSN:1558-0679, Pages:715-722
Ariff MAM, Pal BC, 2016, Adaptive Protection and Control in Power Systemfor Wide-Area Blackout Prevention, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol:31, ISSN:0885-8977, Pages:1815-1825
et al., 2016, Electrical Oscillations in Wind Farm Systems: Analysis and Insight Based on Detailed Modeling, Ieee Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol:7, ISSN:1949-3029, Pages:51-62
Singh AK, Pal BC, 2015, Decentralized Control of Oscillatory Dynamics in Power Systems using an Extended LQR, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:31, ISSN:1558-0679, Pages:1715-1728
et al., 2015, Data compression in smart distribution systems via singular value decomposition, Ieee Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol:8, ISSN:1949-3061, Pages:275-284
Anagnostou G, Pal BC, 2015, Impact of Overexcitation Limiters on the Power System Stability Margin Under Stressed Conditions, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:31, ISSN:1558-0679, Pages:2327-2337
Singh A, Pal BC, 2014, Decentralized Dynamic State Estimation in Power Systems Using Unscented Transformation, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:29, ISSN:0885-8950, Pages:794-804
Jabr RA, Pal BC, Martins N, 2010, A Sequential Conic Programming Approach for the Coordinated and Robust Design of Power System Stabilizers, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:25, Pages:1627-1637