Bikash Pal is Professor of Power Systems at Imperial College London. He is research active in power system stability, control and computation. His research is sponsored by EPSRC, National Grid, GE, ABB, UK Power Networks. He is currently leading a six-university UK-China research consortium (2020-2023) in Sustainable Energy Networks. In the past he led an eight-university UK-India research consortium (2013-2017) on Smart Grid and Storage and a six-university UK-China research consortium (2014-2017) in Smart Grid and Control . His research group has received 2016 President Award for Outstanding Research. He is consultant to United Nations, GE, ALSTOM, National Grid, UK Power Networks . He has graduated 20 PhDs and published about 120 technical papers in IEEE Transactions and IET journals. He has co-authored four books and two award winning IEEE Task Force/Working Group reports.
As Vice President of Publication, Power and Energy Society (PES), of IEEE he sets and delivers plan to sustain the growth in quality, impact and annual revenue (currently about $5M) and also offers leadership as Governing Board member for the growth of the society. As IEEE Periodical committee member he was part of team that approves new periodicals and reviews the performance of the current periodicals. He chaired an IEEE Working Group in state estimation for power distribution applications. Since 2008 , as an IEEE Distinguished Lecturer he has been offering special lectures and tutorials in power system control and computation . He was Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. He is Series Editor of Elesevier series on Sustainable Energies and Fellow of IEEE for his contribution to power system stability and control. He was Otto Monstead Internatonal Professor at Denmark Technical University (DTU) in 2019, and Mercator Professor at University of Duisburg-Essen in 2011 invited respectively by the Ottomonstead Foundation and German Research Foundation (DFG). He holds a Visiting Professorship at Tsinghua University, China.
Prospective PhD Positions
PhD positions are available for outstanding students having master with background of power system modelling and simulations. Information about general scholarships are available in college scholarship section
monitoring, stability & Control
- C. Lianfang, N. F. Thornhill, S. Kuenzel, and B. C. Pal, “A Test Model of a Power Grid with Battery Energy Storage and Wide-Area Monitoring”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 380-390, January 2019.
- A. Singh amd B. C. Pal,“Decentralized Nonlinear Control for Power Systems using Normal Forms and Detailed Models”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 33, no. 2, March 2018
- G. Anagnostou, F. Boem, S. Kuenzel, B. C. Pal, and T. Parisini, “Observer based Anomaly Detection of Synchronous Generators for Power System Monitoring,”IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 33, no.4, 4228-4237, July 2018.
- F. Ul-Nazir, B. C. Pal and R. A. Jabr “A Two-Stage Chance Constrained Volt/Var Control Scheme for Active Distribution Networks with Nodal Power Uncertainties”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 314-325, January 2019
Power SYstem STATE EsTIMATIONS
- A. K. Singh and B. C. Pal , “Rate of Change of Frequency Estimation for Power Systems using Interpolated DFT and Kalman Filter”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. PP, no. 99, 2018, available through early access.
- A. Singh and B. C. Pal,“ Decentralized Robust Dynamic State Estimation in Power Systems using Instrument Transformers”, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 66, no 6, pp. 1541-1550, March 2018.
- G. A. Anagnostou and B. C. Pal, ”Derivative-free Kalman ﬁltering based Approaches to Dynamic State Estimation for Power Systems with Unknown Inputs”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 116 - 130 , January 2018.
- A. Majumdar and B. C. Pal,“ Bad Data Detection in the Context of Leverage Point Attacks in Modern Power Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 2042-2054, May 2018.
mODELLING & CONTROL of RENEWABLES integration
- H. Ali, P. K. Linash; and B. C. Pal, A. Adamczyk and V Konstantin,“Model Order Reduction of Wind Farms: Linear Approach” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. PP, no. 99, 2018, available through early access.
- Efstratios I. Batzelis, Georgios Anagnostou and Bikash C Pal, “A State-Space Representation of Irradiance Driven Dynamics in Two-Stage Photovoltaic Systems”, IEEE journal of Photovoltaics, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 1119-1124, July 2018.
- O. S. Nduka, and B. C. Pal,“Quantitative Evaluation of Actual Loss Reduction Beneﬁts of a Renewable Heavy DG Distribution Network”, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 1384-1396, July 2018.
- G. Xuan, S. Kuenzel and B. C. Pal, “Optimal wind farm cabling”,IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 1126-1136, July 2018.
Anagnostou G, Puthenpurayl Linash K, Pal B, 2019, Dynamic state estimation for wind turbine models with unknown wind velocity, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:34, ISSN:0885-8950, Pages:3879-3890
Majumdar A, Pal BC, 2018, Bad data detection in the context of leverage point attacks in modern power networks, Ieee Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol:9, ISSN:1949-3061, Pages:2042-2054
Anagnostou G, Pal BC, 2017, Derivative-free Kalman filtering based approaches to dynamic state estimation for power systems with unknown inputs, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:33, ISSN:1558-0679, Pages:116-130
Cai L, Thornhill NF, Pal BC, 2017, Multivariate detection of power system disturbances based on fourth order moment and singular value decomposition, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:32, ISSN:1558-0679, Pages:4289-4297
Singh A, Pal B, 2016, An extended linear quadratic regulator for LTI systems with exogenous inputs, Automatica, Vol:76, ISSN:0005-1098, Pages:10-16
et al., 2016, The adequacy of the present practice in dynamic aggregated modelling of wind farm systems, Ieee Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol:8, ISSN:1949-3037, Pages:23-32
et al., 2016, Benchmark models for the analysis and control of small-signal oscillatory dynamics in power systems, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:32, ISSN:1558-0679, Pages:715-722
Ariff MAM, Pal BC, 2016, Adaptive Protection and Control in Power Systemfor Wide-Area Blackout Prevention, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol:31, ISSN:0885-8977, Pages:1815-1825
et al., 2016, Electrical Oscillations in Wind Farm Systems: Analysis and Insight Based on Detailed Modeling, Ieee Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol:7, ISSN:1949-3029, Pages:51-62
Singh AK, Pal BC, 2015, Decentralized Control of Oscillatory Dynamics in Power Systems using an Extended LQR, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:31, ISSN:1558-0679, Pages:1715-1728
et al., 2015, Data compression in smart distribution systems via singular value decomposition, Ieee Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol:8, ISSN:1949-3061, Pages:275-284
et al., 2015, Impact of Overexcitation Limiters on the Power System Stability Margin Under Stressed Conditions, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:31, ISSN:1558-0679, Pages:2327-2337
Singh A, Pal BC, 2014, Decentralized Dynamic State Estimation in Power Systems Using Unscented Transformation, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:29, ISSN:0885-8950, Pages:794-804
Jabr RA, Pal BC, Martins N, 2010, A Sequential Conic Programming Approach for the Coordinated and Robust Design of Power System Stabilizers, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:25, Pages:1627-1637