ACTIVE RESEARCH GRANTS
- MiDER European Commission: H2020-MSCA-IF-2019 EESC-P83616-891035, €212k, 2012-2021
- Resilient Operation of Sustainable Energy Systems (ROSES) EPSRC-NSFC Programme on Sustainable Energy Supply (EP/T021713/1 (EESC-P83130)) £775k. Prof. Pal leads the UK side of this six-university (Imperial, Southampton and Warwick, Hohai, NCEPU and Tsinghua) consortium project, 2020-2023.
- WinGrid: European Commission: H2020-MSCA-ITN-2019 EESC-P79159-861398, €606k, 2019-2023
- Estimation in PV dominated power network for stability and control ,EESC P78479, EPSRC, UK, £100k, 2019-2020.
- A Novel Hybrid Microgrid Control Framework Including Multi-Mode Large Scale EVs Integration, TGOOD, Hong Kong, £500k, 2018-2022
- Joint UK-India Clean Energy Centre (JUICE): EP/P003605/1: £5M, 2016-2020. Prof leads Imperial on this multi-university programme with Imperial's share of £1M.
COMPLETED RESEARCH GRANTS
- PV Control and Integration (PVCI): European Commission: H2020-MSCA-IF-2016 Marie Curie programme: £ 158k, 2017-2019
- Stability and Control of Power Networks with Energy Storage (STABLE-NET) UK-China Grid Scale Storage, EPSRC, UK, £1.1M, (01/07/2014- 30/06/2016. Prof. Pal leads this three-university consortium.
- Reliable and Efficient System for Community Energy Solution- RESCUES, UK-India Smart Grid programme, EPSRC, UK; (01/01/2014-31/12/2016) (£953k); PI of the consortium with share of (£315k).
- Advanced Communication and Control for the Prevention of Blackouts (ACCEPT), UK-India Smart Grid programme, (01/01/2014-31/12/2016), EPSRC, UK; (£310k); PI from Imperial.
- PV2025 - Potential Costs and Benefits of Photovoltaics for UK-Infrastructure and Society, (01/07/2013-31/03/2016), EPSRC, UK, (£308k); PI from Imperial.
- Stability and Performance of Photovoltaics (STAPP), Funded by EPSRC under UK-India Solar Energy programme ( EP/H040331/1), Dr Pal as Co-I with a share of £571K ( 01/1/2011-31/12/2013)
- Modelling and control of AC-DC system with significant generation from wind, top up funding National Grid, UK, P33528 (£45K),01/10/2010-30/09/2013
- Using real-time measurements for monitoring and management of power transmission dynamics for the Smart Grid, CEC: FP7 IAPP programme. Â£178K,01/10/2010-30/09/2014.
- Control for Sustainability and Energy, Funded by EPSRC, UK, (EP/G066477/1), PI Prof R Vinter, Dr Pal as one of the Co Is with Prof R Vinter (Co-I) (£ 5.78M)(01/10/2009-30/09/2014)
- SUPERGEN Flexnet Top up from Beit Trust: Â£33K (01/03/2008-28/02/2011)
- Power System Wide-area GPS Synchronized Monitoring with Phasor
Measurements and Low-Frequency Oscillation Mitigation Analysis: PIEF-GA-2009-235880: CEC FP7 Marie Curie grant (01/06/2010 - 30/11/2011); Dr Pal as Co-I with Prof Tim Green (PI)
- SUPERGEN Flexnet: Funded EPSRC UK (EP/E04011X/1), Dr Pal as one of the Co PIs with a share of Â£330K, 1/10/2007-30/09/2011)
- A Wide-Area System for Power Transmission Security
Enhancement using a Process Systems Approach Funded by EPSRC, UK (EP/E3032435/1), PI: Dr Pal ( Â£272K) ( 01/09/2007-28/02/2011
- Risk Assessment of Distribution System for Operation purposes: Funded by EDF Energy, UK ( EESC P10176) PI: Dr. Pal and Prof G Strbac Co-I (Â£454K) (01/01/2007-31/07/2011)
- State Estimation in power distribution network: Methodologies and applications ( Â£400,000) (04/2006-08/2008) Dr Pal (PI) and Prof G Strbac Co-PI
- "Future Network Technologies for Sustainable Energy Generation " Funded by EPSRC GR/S28082/01 (Â£5,20,000) Dr Pal (Co-I) and Dr. Green (PI) (03/2003-02/2006)
- "Measurement Based FACTS Control" Funded by ABB Switzerland ($300,000 USD) (07/2004-06/2007) Dr Pal (PI) and Dr Green (Co-I).
- Feasibility of Risk assesment in EDFE distribution network operation (Â£48,370) (01/2006-06/2006) Dr Pal (PI) and Dr
- "Single and Multiple UPFCs as Aids to the Improvement of Supergrid Dynamic and Transient Performance" Funded by EPSRC (GR/R31676) (Â£3,50,000) (01/2002-12/2007) Dr Pal (CI) Dr. Green (CI) and Dr. Jaimoukha (PI)
- "Single and Multiple UPFCs as Aids to the Improvement of Supergrid Dynamic and Transient Performance" Funded by ABB USA (EESC PX0231) (Â£2,04,600) (01/2002-12/2004) Dr Pal (CI), Dr. Green (PI) and Dr. Jaimoukha (Co-I)
- "Robust Damping of Oscillations in Large Power Grid Through FACTS Controllers Employing Global Signals" Funded by EPSRC (GR/S06158) (Â£1,23,000) (01/2003-12/2005) Dr Pal (PI)
ACTIVE RESEARCH AREAS
- Wide Area Monitoring
- Robust Control of Power System
- FACTS Controllers
- System Modelling and Control of Renewable Energy Sources
- Small Signal Stability Analysis of Power Systems
- State estimation in power systems
- Grid Integration of Solar Energy
Industrial Research and Technology Transfer
-Technical methodology and tool development to support Clean Development Mechanism (CDM), United
-Nations Framework on Climate Change. Appointed as technical consultant to review and recommend
-revised methodology and tool for transmission constraint and losses calculation, United Nations, Bonn,Germany Aug-Oct 2017.
- Small scale energy storage (SSES), UK Power Networks, 2016-2017
- Windfarm dynamic equivalencing, GE Grid Solutions UK Ltd, 2016-2019.
- Technical investigation of sub-synchronous interaction between wind turbine generators and series capacitors, National Grid, UK, 2014-2015.
- Aggregated wind farm dynamic interconnection model and analysis involving Type-IV turbines, ALSTOM
- Aggregated wind farm dynamic interconnection model and analysis involving Type-III turbines, ALSTOM
- Investigation of synchronisation problem of o
shore wind farm with the grid, ALSTOM, UK, 2013-
- North Sea power grid vision for Norwegian power grid operator, STATNET, Norway, 2012.
Robert Thorton Jones, Brush Electric Machines, Power Generation Control, 2017
Tobi Babalola, UK Power Networks, Power distribution automation and storage - data analysis, 2016 - 2018
Khadim Hussain, National Grid, wind farm and transmission system dynamic interaction, 2014 - 2017
Prof Haifeng Wang, North China Electric Power University, Wind energy modelling and control, 2013
Dr Hua Geng, Tsinghua University, wind energy modelling and control, 2013
Prof Tapas Mallick, University of Exeter, Microgrid, Solar integration, 2013
Prof Bhim Singh, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, renewable energy integration to grid, 2013
Prof Li Xue, University of Strathclyde, HVDC control and Microgrid Control, 2013
Antonio Padilha Feltrin is Professor of Electrical Engineering, UNESP – Universidade Estadual Paulista, Campus of Ilha Solteira, Brazil. He is Academic Visitor at Imperial College London, UK., Universidade Estadual Paulista, Campus of Ilha Solteira, Brazil., power distribution analysis, 2012 - 2013
Elizete Maria Lourenco Associate Professor, Federal University of Parana (UFPR), Curitiba, Brazil. She is Academic Visitor at Imperial College London, UK., University of Parana, Power system state estimation, 2012 - 2013
Odilon Luis Tortelli is Adjunct Professor, Federal University of Parana (UFPR), Curitiba, Brazil. He is Academic Visitor at Imperial College London, UK, Federal University of Parana (UFPR), power system computation, 2012 - 2013
Adam Hawkes, Imperial College London, Solar Energy, 2012
Dr Chiara Candelise, Centre for Environment Policy and Technology (CEPT) Imperial College London, renewable energy and grid impact, 2012
Dr I Dzafic, SIEMENS, Power Distribution system, 2012
Prof Istvan ErlichChair Professor of Department of Electrical Engineering and Information TechnologiesHead of the Institute of Electrical Power SystemsUniversity of Duisburg-EssenAddress: Bismarckstr. 81, 47057 Duisburg, GermanyTel.: (+49) 203-3791032 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (+49) 203-3791032 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlightingFax: (+49) 203-3792749E-mail: email@example.com, University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany, Wind energy, 2011 - 2011
Prof Chandan Chakraborty, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, Microgrid and renewable energy integration, 2009
Prof Ralph Gottschalg, Loughborough University, Solar energy integration to grid, 2009
Prof Nina Thornhill, Chemical Engg, Imperial College London, wide area monitoring and control, 2006
Prof Nina Thornhill, Imperial College London, Process System Control, Chemical Engineering, 2004
Prof Rabih A Jabr, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, Power System State Estimation, 2002
Prof Arturo Roman Messina, CINVESTAV, Mexico, Wide Area Monitoring
Role of Robust Control in Smart Grid, CIGRE,, 12th SEPOPE Conference,, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2012
2010 Role of Robust Control in Smart Grid, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, IEEE Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems: PEDES-2010, 21-23 December, New Delhi , India
Advances in Computations and Control in Power Systems, University of Notredame, 2009 International Conference on Advances in Computational Tools For Engineering Applications July 15-17, Beirut, Lebanon
2012 Control and Computation in Smart Grid, IEEE Conf. on Power, Control, Signal Processing and Computations (EPSCICON), January 2012, Kerala, India.
Dr Ravindar Singh,SEIPDSO
Research Student Supervision
Agalgaonkar,Y, Stability and Performance of Photovoltaics (STAPP)
Anagnostou,G, Fast Dynamic Security Assessments in Power Systems
Chauhan,M, Wind Energy Modelling and Control
Cifuentes,N, Protection and Control in Distribution System
Kuenzel,S, Modelling and Control and ACDC system
Majumdar,A, State Estimation in Power Distribution Systems
Mohammed,AB, Controlled Islanding
Nanchian,S, Distribution system state estimation
Nduka,O, Impact assessment of harmonics in power distribution loss calculation
Nsengiyaemye,J, Protection of Active Power Distribution Networks
PK,ML, Robust Control Design
Rui,H, Wind farm dynamic equivalencing
Rui,HA, Wind farm modelling and control
Ruis,H, Wind farm dynamics simplification
Simfukwe,D, Flexnet: Smart and Flexible Control
Singh,A, Power System Stability
Ul Nazzir,F, Robust voltage and Var Optimisation in power distribution
Zhang,L, Optimal Scheduling in Sensor Networks;