Céline Mougenot is a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Design Engineering at the Dyson School of Design Engineering. Céline's research is in Design Cognition and Collaborative Design. She investigates the socio-cognitive aspects of innovation processes and examines what conditions favour multidisciplinary and multicultural collaborations. The findings inform the development of tools that can support user-centered innovation.
Developed with a team of research assistants and students, previous research outcomes include a web-based app that provides visual inspiration to designers, a Mixed Reality system that supports co-design between designers and end-users. These tools can be used in any user-centered innovation projects, e.g. consumer goods, transport, healthcare devices.
Her roles at Imperial College include advising Ph.D students, leading the Final Year Solo Project module on the Design Engineering M.Eng. programme and tutoring on the Innovation Design Engineering and Global Innovation Design M.Sc. / M.A. programmes run jointly with the Royal College of Art.
From 2011 to 2018, Céline was the Design Research Group lead at Tokyo Institute of Technology. She previously worked at the University of Tokyo (Japan) and Dassault Systemes (France). She is currently involved in research projects with Tokyo Institute of Technology, the University of Tokyo and Telecom Paris Tech.
- Yuki Taoka. Development of culturally-sensitive co-design tools in a Japanese context, Tokyo Institute of Technology (2019)
- Lalita Haritaipan. Effect of Magic-based External Stimuli on Creativity and User Experiences in Product Design, Tokyo Institute of Technology (2019)
- Santosh Maurya. Development of a Mixed Reality-based co-design system, Tokyo Institute of Technology (2019)
- Sander Välk. Creativity in Design and Science collaborations (ongoing)
- Mimi Quynh Trang Nguyen. Socio-cognitive study of creativity in multidisciplinary collaborations (ongoing)
- Shu Huang. Creativity-supporting tools in Product Design (ongoing)
Arrighi PA, Mougenot C, 2019, Towards user empowerment in product design: a mixed reality tool for interactive virtual prototyping, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol:30, ISSN:0956-5515, Pages:743-754
Taoka Y, Kagohashi K, Mougenot C, 2018, A cross-cultural study of co-design: The impact of power distance on group dynamics in Japan, Codesign, ISSN:1571-0882
Haritaipan L, Saijo M, Mougenot C, Impact of technical information in magic-based inspiration tools on novice designers, International Journal of Technology and Design Education, ISSN:0957-7572
et al., 2017, Cultures of collaboration in engineering design education: a contrastive case study in France and Japan, International Journal of Design Creativity and Innovation, Vol:5, ISSN:2165-0349, Pages:104-128
Mougenot C, Watanabe K, 2013, Sensory stimulation of designers, Emotional Engineering, Pages:63-71, ISBN:9781447149835
Valk S, Mougenot C, 2019, Towards creativity stimulating design intervention for multidisciplinary innovation teams, International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED 2019), Cambridge University Press, Pages:239-248