Dr. Céline Mougenot is a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) at the Dyson School of Design Engineering. Céline's research is in Collaborative Design. She investigates the socio-cognitive aspects of innovation processes and examines what conditions favour multidisciplinary and multicultural collaborations. The findings inform the development of tools that can support human-centred innovation activities. An example is a Mixed Reality system for co-design between designers and end-users.
Céline's teaching roles include leading the Human Centered Design Engineering module on the Design Engineering M.Eng. programme and coordinating the Year 2 in the Innovation Design Engineering M.Sc. / M.A. programme run jointly with the Royal College of Art.
From 2011 to 2018, Céline was the Design Research Group lead at Tokyo Institute of Technology. She previously worked as a JSPS post-doctoral fellow at the University of Tokyo (Japan) and as an engineer at Dassault Systemes (France). She holds a M.Eng in Mechanical Engineering (INSA Lyon), a MSc. in Product Design (UTC) and a PhD in Industrial Design Engineering (ENSAM Paris Tech).
(picture: Kazue Yawase for Tanpopo-no-ye Foundation, 2019)
- Yuki Taoka. Development of culturally-sensitive co-design tools in a Japanese context - with Prof. Shigeki Saito. Tokyo Institute of Technology (2019) - now Assistant Professor at Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
- Lalita Haritaipan. Effect of Magic-based External Stimuli on Creativity and User Experiences in Product Design - with Prof. Miki Saijo. Tokyo Institute of Technology (2019) - now Management Consultant at LiB consulting, Thailand
- Santosh Maurya. Development of a Mixed Reality-based co-design system - with Prof. Yukio Takeda. Tokyo Institute of Technology (2019) - now Digital Engineer at Hitachi, Japan
- Sander Välk. Science and Design multidisciplinary collaboration (3rd year)
- Mimi Quynh Trang Nguyen. Online multidisciplinary collaboration (2nd year)
- Shu Huang. Cultural diversity in Collaborative Design (2nd year)
- Malak Sadek. Collaborative Design and AI (1st year)
There are positions available in our research group for excellent prospective PhD students interested in Design Engineering and Design Studies. To apply for a PhD, please check that you fulfill the entrance requirements for Postgraduate Study (PhD) in the Dyson School of Design Engineering and email to Dr. Mougenot: your CV, brief research proposal and Ph.D intended starting date.
Taoka Y, Kagohashi K, Mougenot C, 2021, A cross-cultural study of co-design: the impact of power distance on group dynamics in Japan, Codesign, Vol:17, ISSN:1571-0882, Pages:22-49
Maurya S, Mougenot C, Takeda Y, 2021, Impact of Mixed Reality implementation on early-stage interactive-product design process, Journal of Engineering Design, Vol:32, ISSN:0954-4828, Pages:1-27
et al., 2020, Argumentation, Eureka and emotion: an analysis of group projects in creative design training, Learning, Culture and Social Interaction, Vol:26, ISSN:2210-6561
Arrighi PA, Mougenot C, 2019, Towards user empowerment in product design: a mixed reality tool for interactive virtual prototyping, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol:30, ISSN:0956-5515, Pages:743-754