I am a Professor in the department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London (ICL), UK. I am also head of the Applied Computation and Modelling Group (AMCG), which is the largest department research group at ICL and comprises of about 70 research active scientists. AMCG specialises in the development and application of innovative and world leading modelling techniques for earth, engineering and biomedical sciences. The group has core research interests in numerical methods for ocean, atmosphere and climate systems, engineering fluids including multiphase flows, neutral particle radiation transport, coupled fluids-solids modelling with discrete element methods, turbulence modelling, inversion methods, imaging, and impact cratering. I was honoured by Imperial College London by winning its Research Excellence Award in 2010, in recognition my world-leading research.
As of 2017, I have authored over 200 journal publications (which have so far received over 5000 citations), 2 book chapters, 1 patent, graduated 45 PhD students and completed 40 industry and research council grants.
Career Highlights and Awards (as of 2017)
- Published 200 journal papers, 2 book chapters, 1 patent, and 2 published reports.
- Graduated 45 PhD students.
- Rector’s Award for Research Excellence 2010 – only one awarded at Imperial annually.
- Rector’s Award for Research 2004.
- Attracted more than 40 industry, research council and European grants.
- Attracted over £23M in research funding over the last 10 years.
- Chair and organiser of a number of conferences e.g. Ocean Modelling, Transport Theory and the Japanese Todai Forum 2010.
et al., Vanishing artifficial diffusion as a mechanism to accelerate convergence for multiphase porous media flow, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, ISSN:0045-7825
et al., Image based simulations of absolute permeability with pseudo-compressible stabilised finite element., Computational Geosciences.
et al., 2019, A domain decomposition method for the non-intrusive reduced order modelling of fluid flow, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, ISSN:0045-7825
et al., An Enriched Control Volume Finite Element Method for Multi-Phase Flow in Porous Media on Challenging Meshes, EAGE annual
et al., Numerical Modelling of Coupled Flow and Fluid-Driven Fracturing in Fractured Porous Media using the Immersed Body Method, Interpore 2019