I am a Reader at Imperial College London, mostly working on carbonate systems, either in the context of oil and gas reservoirs, or for blue sky research.
My main interests include:
- Clumped isotope geochemistry for carbonate paleo-thermometry, notably in the context of carbonate diagenesis
- Numerical methods and programming, such as forward modelling of stratigraphy or development of software for geochemistry
- Application of neural networks and machine learning for geological applications, for instance, image recognition to automatically extract information from core and thin sections.
The information presented here is just a brief summary. If you are interested in more information, for instance if you want to work with me, visit the my carbonate research group website: CarbonateResearch.com
- 2018-current: Reader in carbonate systems and carbonate reservoirs, Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College London, UK.
- 2013-2018: Senior Lecturer, Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College London, UK.
- 2008-2013: Lecturer, Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College London, UK.
- 2005-2008: Staff scientist, Integrated Ocean Drilling Program, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX.
- 2004-2005: Postdoctoral fellow, Department of Earth Sciences, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA.
- 2003 : Ph.D. (Dr. Rer. Nat.), magna cum laude, University of Potsdam, Germany.
- Forward modeling of sedimentary processes to constrain the architecture of carbonate systems and the distribution of different facies
- Use of machine learning, notably neural network, for automatic feature extraction from unstructured geological data (for instance, image recognition of facies in cores)
- Clumped isotope geochemistry and thermal history of carbonate, notably applied to carbonate diagenesis
- Continental margin sediment and shallow-water carbonates. notably linked to field research
John CM, Bowen D, 2016, Community software for challenging isotope analysis: first applications of ‘Easotope’ to clumped isotopes, Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, Vol:30, ISSN:0951-4198, Pages:2285-2300
et al., 2016, Paired stable isotopes (O, C) and clumped isotope thermometry of magnesite and silica veins in the New Caledonia Peridotite Nappe, Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta, Vol:183, ISSN:1872-9533, Pages:234-249
et al., 2008, North American continental margin records of the Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum: Implications for global carbon and hydrological cycling, Paleoceanography, Vol:23, ISSN:0883-8305
et al., 2007, Environmental precursors to rapid light carbon injection at the Palaeocene/Eocene boundary, Nature, Vol:450, ISSN:0028-0836, Pages:1218-U5
John CM, Karner GD, Mutti M, 2004, delta O-18 and Marion Plateau backstripping: Combining two approaches to constrain late middle Miocene eustatic amplitude, Geology, Vol:32, ISSN:0091-7613, Pages:829-832
et al., 2007, The Palaeocene-Eocene carbon isotope excursion: constraints from individual shell planktonic foraminifer records, ROYAL SOCIETY, Pages:1829-1842