My general interests are in Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing.
Some specific interests are:
- Compatible finite element methods for atmosphere and ocean simulation [includes my contributions to the design of the Met Office next generation atmosphere model]
- High performance (non)linear iterative solvers for continuum mechanics
- Finite element methods and data science tools for geoscientific modelling
- Time-parallel algorithms for weather and climate
- Numerical methods for diffeomorphic shape registration
- Data assimilation and stochastic filtering
- Geometric integrators
- Moving mesh adaptivity
- Phase averaging and balanced dynamics in highly oscillatory systems
- Variational and Hamiltonian PDEs and SPDEs
I wrote a book with Sebastian Reich, entitled "Probabilistic Forecasting and Bayesian Data Assimliation".
Current Team Members
- Hiroe Yamasaki (funded by EPSRC)
- Karina Kowalczyk (funded by EPSRC Roth studentship)
- Thomas Gregory (funded by EPSRC MPECDT, joint-supervised by David Ham)
- Reuben Nixon-Hill (funded by SSCP DTP, joint-supervised by David Ham)
- Sophia Vorderwuelbecke (funded by Roth studentship, joint-supervised by David Ham)
Previous team members
- Werner Bauer was my PDRA from November 2019 until January 2022, and is now a lecturer at the University of Kingston.
- Mariana Clare (funded by EPSRC MPECDT, lead supervisor is Matthew Piggott) passed her PhD viva on 14th January 2022.
- Golo Wimmer (funded by EPSRC MPECDT, joint-supervised by Werner Bauer) passed his viva on 29th October 2020.
- Andreas Bock (funded by Roth Studentship), passed his PhD viva on 30th April 2020.
- Thomas Bendall (funded by EPSRC MPECDT), passed his PhD viva on 19th December 2019.
- Jack Betteridge (funded by EPSRC) was my PDRA from October 2019 to April 2020, and has now works with Dr David Ham, still at Imperial College London.
- Thomas Gibson (funded by EPSRC MPECDT, joint-supervised by David Ham) passed his PhD viva on 5th September 2019.
- Jemma Shipton was my PDRA from 2010 until August 2019, and is now a lecturer at the University of Exeter.
- Alastair Gregory (funded by the Science and Solutions for a Changing Planet DTP) passed his viva on 26th March 2018.
- Andrea Natale (funded by Roth Studentship) passed his viva on 22nd August 2017.
- Andrew McRae (jointly supervised with Dr David Ham, funded by Grantham Institute for Climate Change) passed his PhD viva on 27th November 2015.
- Bastien Jordi (jointly supervised with Spencer Sherwin, funded by Marie Curie ANADE programme) passed his PhD viva on 7th October 2015.
- Abeed Visram (funded by EPSRC CASE award with UK Met Office) passed his PhD viva on 18th July 2014.
- Flora MacTavish (funded by Grantham Institute for Climate Change) passed her PhD viva on 19th December 2012.
- Allan Clark (funded by Aeronautics department Doctoral Training Grant) passed his PhD viva on 9th September 2011.