Dr Declan O'Regan is an MRC Clinical Scientist and Consultant Radiologist who heads the Robert Steiner MRI suite (Mansfield Centre for Innovation) at the MRC London Institute of Medical Sciences. He is lead clinician for imaging research at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. He is committed to science engagement and is a past Roentgen (UK) and Rowan-Williams (Australasia) travelling professor.
His research is focussed on developing artificial intelligence to understand the genetic and physiological mechanisms that underpin cardiovascular disease using cardiac imaging. His team recently developed the 4Dsurvival algorithm for predicting outcomes in heart disease from cardiac motion analysis (Nature Machine Intelligence). His projects include:
- Developing advanced computer vision algorithms in cardiac MRI.
- Predicting time-to-events from cardiac motion analysis.
- Automated discovery of cardiac genotype-phenotype associations in health and disease.
- Designing artificial reasoning systems to classify heart disease.
- Accelerating drug discovery using machine learning in UK Biobank.
- Discovering new quantitative imaging risk factors in heart disease.
His interdisciplinary collaborators include Prof Stuart Cook, Prof Daniel Rueckert, and Prof Ewan Birney. This research is funded by NIHR, BHF and MRC.