Ferdinando Rodriguez y Baena is Professor of Medical Robotics in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College, where he leads the Mechatronics in Medicine Laboratory and the Applied Mechanics Division. He has been the Engineering Co-Director of the Hamlyn Centre, which is part of the Institute of Global Health Innovation, since July 2020. Alongside this, he is the Mechanical Engineering Postgraduate Tutor and the co-chair of the Mechanical Engineering Equality, Diversity and Departmental Culture Committee. He is a founding member and the current Speaker of the Imperial College Robotics Forum, now the first point of contact for roboticists at Imperial College.
His 20-strong team of staff and PhD students has a translational focus, though their work encompasses both “blue skies” research and “near-to-market” development. He is the Chair of the Programme Committee for the International Society for Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery (CAOS International), CAOS UK, and the Hamlyn Symposium; He is also the founding Chair of the IET’s recently established Communities Committee for Technical Networks (CC TN), a Leverhulme Prize winner (engineering), a former ERC grant holder, and the coordinator of an €8.3M European project on robotic-assisted neurosurgical drug delivery (EDEN2020). He has published over 160 papers and secured in excess of £12M in research funding to date.
Current Committee Appointments
- Committee Chair: The IET Communities Committee for Technical Networks (CC-TPN).
- Executive Committee Secretary: British Society for Computer Aided Orthopedic Surgery.
- PC Chair: International Society for Computer Assisted Orthopedic Surgery.
- PC Chair: The Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics (HSMR, UK).
- PC Member: International Symposium of Medical Robotics (ISMR, USA).
- PC Member: Conference on New Technologies for Computer & Robot Aided Surgery (CRAS, EU).
- PC Cochair and Organising Committee Member: The 2023 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2023), London, UK, 28 May - 2 June 2023.
2020 The IC 2020 President’s Award for Excellence in Research - Outstanding Research Team.
2020 The IC 2020 President’s Award for Excellence in Culture and Community – Leadership.
2019 SACAs 2019 Finalist for Research Supervision, as nominated by PhD students.
2016 Talented Young Italians Research and Innovation Prize, Italian Chamber of Commerce.
2013 Peter Leverhulme Prize for Engineering (£70,000).
2011 Imperial College Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence in Engineering Education (£10,000).
10-20 Student Choice Awards, every year since 2010, for outstanding teaching, as nominated by students.
2003 Institution of Mechanical Engineers Best Medical Engineering Recent (2003-2006) PhD Thesis.
2000 King’s College KCLEA Medal for the best undergraduate final year project.
- Acrobot Ltd.: Apparatus and method for registering […], 19/11/01, WO03043515.
- Acrobot Ltd.: Positional estimation method, 01/11/04, WO2006048651.
- Acrobot Ltd.: A tool constraint mechanism, 20/10/05, WO2007045810.
- Imperial College: A Device for Limiting Movement, 10/09/09, WO2011030112.
- Imperial College: Steerable Probes, 30/11/09, WO2011064602.
- Imperial College: Patient-Specific Surgical Guide, 11/03/15, WO2016142711A1.
- Imperial College: Soft Robotic Manipulator, 30/07/18, WO2020025938A1.