Dr Fei Teng is the director of education at Energy Futures Lab, a pan-university hub promoting inter-disciplinary research in energy, and a senior lecturer in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Imperial College London. He is holding visiting positions at MINES ParisTech, France, and PolyU, Hong Kong.
Dr Teng graduated with a BEng from Beihang University, China in 2009 and obtained Ph.D. from Imperial College London in 2015. He worked as a Research Associate at Imperial from 2015 to 2017 and as an Assistant Professor in Smart Grids at PERSEE, MINES ParisTech, France in 2017.
His research focuses on the power system operation with high penetration of Inverter-Based Resources (IBRs) and the cyber resiliency of digitalized power systems. He has authored more than 80 scientific publications in leading power system journals and conferences. His research has been funded by EPSRC, ESRC, Innovate UK, Research England, Royal Society, EDF Energy, Hitachi, and National Grid ESO.
- Power System Operation with High Penetration of Inverter Based Resources (IBRs)- Stability-constrained Optimization for System Operation and Planning, System Service Provision from RES and DSR (including both GFM and GFL), Forecasting for System Stability (e.g. Inertia, System Strength).
- Cyber Resiliency of Digitalized Power Systems - Cyber-resilient Control and Operation, Wireless Emergency Communication for Power Grids, Data Privacy and Trading.
- CYBER SECURE Grids of the Future - Schneider Electric, August 2022
- Promoting Energy Data Sharing through Privacy Protection - Energy Systems Catapult, June 2022
- Balancing Privacy and Access to Smart Meter Data - Energy Futures Lab White Paper Launch, May 2022
- Using Physical Networks to Enhance the Cyber Resilience of Power Grids - IEEE PES Task Force on Resilient and Secure Large-Scale Energy Internet Systems, Nov 2021
- Optimal Operation of Low-carbon Power System with High Penetration of Power Electronics - Panel session "How to Operate Low-inertia Power System" at the IEEE PES General Meeting, July 2021
SELECTED RESEARCH GRANTS
- “Blockchain-enabled cloud-edge coordination for demand side management”, EPSRC, 2022-2023, PI
- “ICT-enabled Platform for Development and Verification of Distributed Resilient Control of Cyber-Physical Power Systems”, Royal Society, 2021-2022, PI
- “The Royal-Imperial Black Box: A low cost and novel approach for enhanced power system cyber-security featuring moving target defence.”, Innovate UK, 2021-2022, PI (Collaborating with Prof Keith Mayes at Royal Holloway U)
- "Technology Transformation to Support Flexible and Resilient Local Energy Systems", EPSRC/NSFC, 2020-2023, Co-I (Collaborating with Cardiff U, Zhejiang U, Tsinghua U, and HFUT)
- "Consumer-centric Privacy Protection Scheme for Energy Consumption Data", EPSRC (through Supergen Energy Networks), 2019-2021, PI
- “Short-term System Inertia Forecast - A Data-driven Approach”, National Grid ESO (through Network Innovation Allowance), 2019-2021, PI
- “Socio-Techno-Economic Pathways for sustainable Urban energy develoPment (STEP-UP)”, ESRC-NWO-NSFC, 2019-2022, Co-I (Collaborating with TU Delft, Tsinghua U, and Zhejiang U)
Current Ph.D. Students:
Mr Saurab Chhachhi, 4th year, MEng from Imperial, UK
Mr Pudong Ge, 3rd year, MEng from Southeast University, China
Ms Jemima Graham, 2nd year, MSci from Imperial, UK
Ms Jia Lu, 1st year, (co-supervised with Dr. Balarko Chaudhuri), MSc from Imperial, UK
Mr Jiaruijue Wang, 1st year, MSc from Imperial, UK
Mr Guoxuan Cui, 1st year, MSc from Imperial, UK
Mr Michael Nestor, 1st year, MEng from Oxford U, UK
Dr Mingyu Yan, PhD from IIT, USA
Mr Zhongda Chu, PhD from Imperial, UK
Mr Zhongda Chu, PhD student, 2018-2022, Thesis: Towards Optimal Operation of Power Systems with High IBG Penetration: A Stability-Constrained Optimization Approach, Current Position: PDRA at Imperial
Mr Martin Higgins, PhD student, 2018-2021, Thesis: Operational Moving Target Defences for Improved Power System Cyber-Physical Security (co-supervised with Prof Thomas Parisini), Current Position: PDRA at Oxford U
Dr Luis Badesa, PhD student, 2016-2020, Thesis: Towards a Cost-Effective Operation of Low-Inertia Power Systems, Current Position: Assistant Professor at Technical University of Madrid
Dr Evelyn Heylen, PostDoc, 2019-2020, PhD from KU Leuven, Current Position: Head of Research, Centrica Business Solutions
Prospective PhD Students:
PhD positions are available in the areas of Power System Optimisation under Uncertainty, Privacy-preserving Data Analytics, and Cyber-physical Modelling of Future Power Systems. The applicants should have a Distinction/First class grade Master’s degree in electrical engineering or a related field, and strong knowledge in optimization, programming, and mathematics.
Informal inquiries and requests for additional information can be made to Dr Fei Teng by email at email@example.com.
Applications will be assessed as received and all applicants should follow the standard College application procedure (indicating Dr Fei Teng as supervisor) (http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pgprospectus/howtoapply).
- IEEE Senior Member
- Members-at-Large, IEEE Technical Committee on Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) and IEEE Technical Committee on Carbon Neutrality
- Committee member of CES and CSEE UK Branch.
- Associate Editor for 1) IEEE Transactions on Power System, 2) Control Engineering Practice, 3) IEEE Open Access Journal of Power and Energy, and 4) IEEE Power Engineering Letters.
- Guest Editors for 1) "Challenges in Future Grid-Interactive Power Converters: Control Strategies, Optimal Operation, and Corrective Actions" in IET Renewable Power Generation; 2)“Advanced Approaches and Applications for Electric Vehicle Charging Demand Management” in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications; 3) “Privacy and Security in Smart Grids” in IET Smart Grids 4) “Cloud-Edge-End Orchestrated Computing for Smart Grid”, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, 5) “Artificial Intelligence and Data Analytics for Smart Grids with High Penetrations of Renewables”, IET Energy Systems Integration 6) "Demand Response in Smart Energy Systems" Applied Energy
- Reviewer for IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, IEEE Trans. Power Syst., IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, IEEE Trans. Autom. Sci. Eng., Applied Energy, Energy, ICE–Energy, J MOD POWER SYST CLE, Energy Policy, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Review, and Nature Energy.
Xu W, Jaimoukha IM, Teng F, 2023, Robust Moving Target Defence Against False Data Injection Attacks in Power Grids, Ieee Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol:18, ISSN:1556-6013, Pages:29-40
et al., 2022, Stochastic energy community trading model for day-ahead and intraday coordination when offering DER's reactive power as ancillary services, Sustainable Energy, Grids and Networks, Vol:32
et al., 2022, Cyber-physical risk assessment for false data injection attacks considering moving target defences Best practice application of respective cyber and physical reinforcement assets to defend against FDI attacks, International Journal of Information Security, ISSN:1615-5262
et al., 2022, HA-grid: security aware hazard analysis for smart grids, IEEE International Conference on Communications, Control, and Computing Technologies for Smart Grids, IEEE, Pages:446-452
et al., 2022, A Wireless-Assisted Hierarchical Framework to Accommodate Mobile Energy Resources, IEEE International Conference on Communications, Control, and Computing Technologies for Smart Grids (SmartGridComm), Singapore