Ioanna Papatsouma is a Senior Teaching Fellow in Statistics in the Department of Mathematics, and a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA). Before joining Imperial, she held an associate lecturer position in the Department of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics at Birkbeck, University of London.
Ioanna currently teaches Statistics for Year 3 & 4 Mechanical Engineering students (elective module, one year long) and Mathematics of Business & Economics for Year 3 & 4 Mathematics students and MSc Applied Mathematics students (elective module, spring term). She was the project lead of the StudentShapers Maths project in summer 2021, titled Engagement in Blended Learning, and she is currently involved with the project running in summer 2022, titled Maths Curriculum Mapping.
Her research interests lie broadly in the area of clustering; developing clustering of mixed-type data, constrained clustering and robust clustering.
Her admin roles in the Statistics Section, the Department, and the Faculty are (in chronological order):
- Imperial Award Assessor, June 2022 – present
- Department’s LMS Teaching Mathematics as a Career (TeMaC) initiative representative, February 2022 – present
- FoNS Data Science Ambassador, January 2022 – present
- Seminar Series Coordinator for the online MSc in Machine Learning and Data Science, October 2021 – present
- Statistics – DUGS (director of undergraduate studies), July 2021 – present
- Exam Editor for the MSc in Statistics, September 2020 – present
She is a member of the following professional bodies:
- Fellow, Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
- Fellow, Royal Statistical Society – member of the Emerging Applications Section committee
- Member, London Mathematical Society
- Member, Association for Mathematics Education Teachers
Costa E, Papatsouma I, Markos A, 2023, Benchmarking distance-based partitioning methods for mixed-type data, Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Vol:17, ISSN:1862-5347, Pages:701-724
Papatsouma I, Farmakis N, 2020, Approximating symmetric distributions via sampling and coefficient of variation, Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods, Vol:49, ISSN:0361-0926, Pages:61-77
Papatsouma I, Mahmoudvand R, Farmakis N, 2019, Evaluating the goodness of the sample coefficient of variation via discrete uniform distribution, Statistics, Optimization & Information Computing, Vol:7, ISSN:2311-004X, Pages:642-652