Peer-reviewed Research Articles:
- Ahmetaj-Shala B, Marei I, Kawai R, Rothery S, Pericleous C, Mohamed NA, Gashaw H, Bokea K, Samuel J, Vandenheste A, Shala F, Kirkby NS, Mitchell JA. Activation and Contraction of Human "Vascular" Smooth Muscle Cells Grown From Circulating Blood Progenitors. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2021 Aug 23;9:681347.
- Venu VKP, Saifeddine M, Mihara K, Faiza M, Gorobets E, Flewelling AJ, Derksen DJ, Hirota SA, Marei I, Al-Majid D, Motahhary M, Ding H, Triggle CR, Hollenberg MD. Metformin Prevents Hyperglycemia-Associated, Oxidative Stress-Induced Vascular Endothelial Dysfunction: Essential Role for the Orphan Nuclear Receptor Human Nuclear Receptor 4A1 (Nur77). Mol Pharmacol. 2021 Nov;100(5):428-455.
- Triggle CR, Ding H, Marei I, Anderson TJ, Hollenberg MD. Why the endothelium? The endothelium as a target to reduce diabetes-associated vascular disease. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2020;10.1139/cjpp-2019-0677.
- Al-Ansari DE, Mohamed NA, Marei I, et al. Internalization of Metal-Organic Framework Nanoparticles in Human Vascular Cells: Implications for Cardiovascular Disease Therapy. Nanomaterials (Basel). 2020;10(6):E1028.
- Ahmetaj-Shala B, Kawai R, Marei I*, et al. A bioassay system of autologous human endothelial, smooth muscle cells, and leukocytes for use in drug discovery, phenotyping, and tissue engineering. FASEB J. 2020;34(1):1745-1754 (*equal contribution).
- Marei I, Chester A, Carubelli I, Prodromakis T, Trantidou T, Yacoub MH. Assessment of Parylene C Thin Films for Heart Valve Tissue Engineering. Tissue Eng Part A. 2015;21(19-20):2504-2514.
- Arunachalam G, Samuel SM, Marei I, Ding H, Triggle CR. Metformin modulates hyperglycaemia-induced endothelial senescence and apoptosis through SIRT1. Br J Pharmacol. 2014;171(2):523-535.
- Rizk NM, El-Menyar A, Marei I, et al. Association of adiponectin gene polymorphism ( T45G) with acute coronary syndrome and circulating adiponectin levels. Angiology. 2013;64(4):257-265.
- Triggle CR, Samuel SM, Ravishankar S, Marei I, Arunachalam G, Ding H. The endothelium: influencing vascular smooth muscle in many ways. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2012;90(6):713-738.
Conferences (Selected titles):
- I Marei, B Ahmetaj-shala, O Chidiac, D E. Al- Ansari, B Thomas, A Jayyousi, M Aouida, H AbuSaleh, H Ding, C AbiKhalil, J A. Mitchell, C R. Triggle. Blood outgrowth endothelial cell-based endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene therapy for the protection from the vascular complications of diabetes. ISSCR/JSRM 2021 Tokyo International Symposium 2021, Oct 2021.
- I Marei, O Chidiac, B Thomas, J Muhammed, A Jayyousi, J M Al Suwaidi, C AbiKhalil. Stimulated Release of Apoptosis- Induced Endothelial Microparticles in Patients with Diabetes and Coronary Artery Disease. AHA scientific sessions, 2021.
- I. Marei, B. Ahmetaj Shala, J. Samuel, C. Triggle, J. A. Mitchell, Modeling hyperglycemia using a vessel-on-a-chip technology and endothelial progenitor cells, Termis EU 2020, UK.
- NA. Mohamed, H. Abou Saleh, Y. Kameno, I. Marei, G. de Nucci, B. Ahmetaj-Shala, Fisnik Shala, N. S. Kirkby, L. Jennings, R. P. Davies, P. D. Lickiss, J. A. Mitchell; Sildenafil-Mil-89 Formulation as Potential Drug Delivery System in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension, Canadian Cardiovascular Congress 2019: 71st Annual Meeting of the Canadian Cardiovascular Society.
- NA Mohamed, HA Saleha, Y Kameno, I Marei, G de Nuccie, BA Shala, F Shala, NS Kirkby, L Jennings, RP Davies, PD Lickiss, and JA Mitchell. Novel Sildenafil-nanoformulation as A Potential Therapy for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. British Pharmacological Society (BPS), London-UK 2019
- I Marei, H. Al Shammari, N. Latif, B. Ahmetaj-Shala, M. Yacoub, A. Chester, J. Mitchell; Effect of toll-like receptor antagonists on side specific aortic valve endothelial cells; Pharmacology 2018 (London, UK).
- I Marei, R. Mongey, H. Gashwa, J. Mitchell; Isolation of Blood Outgrowth Endothelial Cells Under Shear Conditions: A Move Towards a More Physiological Vascular Cell Platform; Pharmacology 2018 (London, UK).
- B. Ahmetaj-Shala*, R. Kawai*, I. Marei*, Bhatti Konain, H. Gashwa, N.S. Kirkby, J.A. Mitchell; A bioassay system of autologous human endothelial and smooth muscle cells for use in cardiovascular drug discovery and patient phenotyping; Pharmacology 2018 (London, UK).
- I. Marei, Y. Tseng, J. Sohier, M. Gabriel, N. Latif, M. Yacoub, J. Mitchell, A. Chester; Effect of flow on BOECs capture and alignment on TPS-modified nanofibrous Polycaprolactone tissue engineering scaffolds; Pharmacology 2017, (Dec 2017, London, UK).
- I. Marei, Y. Tseng, J. Sohier, M. Gabriel, N. Latif, M. Yacoub, J. Mitchell, A. Chester; In Vitro Testing of a Biofunctionalised Tissue Engineering Scaffold Capable of Capturing Endothelial Cells from Blood Progenitors; British Heart Valve Society Meeting / Young Investigator Award, (Oct, 2017, London, UK).
- I. Marei, Y. Tseng, J. Sohier, M. Gabriel, N. Latif, M. Yacoub, J. Mitchell, A. Chester; Design and In Vitro Testing of a Biofunctionalised Polycaprolactone Nanofibrous Scaffold Capable of Recruiting Endothelial Progenitor Cells; Euopen chapter meeting of the Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society TERMIS-EU 2017, (June 2017, Davos, Switzerlan).
- I. Marei, D. Al Dabhani, Z. Nikolakopoulou, H. Gashaw, A. Chester, J. Mitchell.; Effect of the TPS, a peptide designed to specifically recruit blood outgrowth endothelial cells, on a novel smooth muscle cell phenotype derived from human blood; Pharmacology 2016, (Dec 2016, London, UK).
Awards and Honors
- Early Career Award (ECRA) by Qatar National research fund, May 2021 (Doha).
- L’Oréal-UNESCO for Women in Science Middle East Regional Young Talents program, Nov 2020
- Pickford award by the British Pharmacological Society, 2020 (UK)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Award (PDRA) by Qatar National research fund, 2019 (Doha).
- Recognition Letter from Her Excellency Sheikha Hind bint Hamad Al Thani, Nov 2018 (Doha).
- Qatar Research Leadership Program (postgraduate scholarship), 2012-2018 (Doha).
- Thanaa Award by Qatar Foundation in recognition of professional excellence, 2013 (Doha).
- Medal of Excellence by Qatar University for scoring of the top 10 GBAs among class 2008 (Doha).