Jochen Cremer works on driving the energy world to a sustainable future. He is a Postgraduate student working on the optimisation and control of energy systems. As Co-Chair of the next International Student Energy Summit 2019 he works on uniting 650 future energy leaders in July 2019 to discuss over 3 days the energy system. He also chairs the Imperial IEEE Student Branch and is Postgraduate Representative of 350 Postgraduate students at Electrical Engineering.
Jochen was recently awarded the John & Frances Jones Prize 2017-2018. He was judged as the Postgraduate student who has ‘made the best all-round contribution to College life, taking into account academic achievement, social and extra-curricular activities, for the academic year in question’.
Jochen's research focuses on the massive integration of renewables in very large energy systems. He has published on how this massive integration of renewables and the corresponding operational uncertainty can be handled. Jochen develops radical new computational methods for system operation that combine statistical machine learning and mathematical optimisation.
- Master thesis with a focus on control systems at the Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston
- Master study in Process Engineering at RWTH Aachen University, 3 months of full-time placement at BASF in Shanghai
- Bachelor study in Electrical Engineering at RWTH Aachen University, 3 months full-time placement at EON Energy Research Center, Aachen
- Bachelor thesis and 1-year studies abroad with a focus on optimisation at the Department of Chemical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh
- Bachelor study in Mechanical Engineering at RWTH Aachen University, 3 months full-time placement at Thyssen Krupp, Siegen
Cremer J, Konstantelos I, Strbac G, 2019, From optimization-based machine learning to interpretable security rules for operation, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:34, ISSN:0885-8950, Pages:3826-3836
et al., 2019, Data-driven power system operation: Exploring the balance between cost and risk, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:34, ISSN:0885-8950, Pages:791-801
Sun M, Cremer J, Strbac G, 2018, A novel data-driven scenario generation framework for transmission expansion planning with high renewable energy penetration, Applied Energy, Vol:228, ISSN:0306-2619, Pages:546-555
et al., 2019, Day-Ahead Scheduling of Electric Heat Pumps for Peak Shaving in Distribution Grids, Pages:27-51, ISSN:1865-0929
et al., 2018, Sample-derived disjunctive rules for secure power system operation, International Conference on Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems (PMAPS), IEEE