Research Keywords: Materials and process modelling, Multiscale modelling, Damage mechanics, Crystal plasticity, Metal forming, Hot forging, Hot rolling, Creep-age-forming
Current Research Projects include:
- Advanced damage modelling - edge cracking in hot rolling. (Corus-Tata)
- Development of a cold-rolled steel mezzanine floor system, (Kingspan).
- A novel process: solution-Heat-treatment, Forming and cold-die Quenching (HFQ) - forming complex-shaped, high strength & light-weight Al-panel parts, (EPSRC).
- Process modelling for tomorrow's engines (PROMOTE) - Microstructure modelling for inertia welding for similar and dissimilar metals, (Rolls-Royce, DTI & EPSRC).
- A hybrid technique for section rolling (Kingspan).
- Process and microstructure evolution modelling for hot-stamping of Boron steel - Forming safety critical parts for passenger cars(Arcelor-Mital, France)
- Mass production of miniature and micro components (MASMICRO), (EU FP6).
- Multiscale Modelling for Multilayered Surface Systems (M3-2S), (EU FP7)
- Investigation of microstructure evolution & tool wear in forming IN718 airfoils (Rolls-Royce)
- Distortion investigation in hot forging of gas-turbine blades, (Doncasters Bleanavon Ltd).
Details for research, please visit: Metal Forming, Materials & Process Modelling (HOT LINK)
Research Student Supervision
Cao,K, "Evolutionary Algorithms in materials modelling"
Cheong,BH, "Modelling of microstructure and damage evolution in superplastic forming"
Foster,A, "Modelling of the effects of stress-states and strain paths on damage evolution"
Garrett,R, "Solution Heat Treatment forming and cold-die quenching"
HO,KC, "Modelling of age-hardening and springback in creep-age forming"
LIU,Y, Characterisation of microstructure and damage evolution in hot deformation"
WANG,CC, "A study into the incremental flow forming of solid cylindrical components"