I have been part of the Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine at the National Heart and Lung Institute (Imperial College) since 2005.
Current research interests
- Employment issues in asthma and other respiratory diseases including surveillance
- Causes and consequences of lung disease at work
I am the lead investigator of Lungs at Work – a large population-based project funded by the Colt foundation, looking at the relationship between breathlessness, airflow obstruction (spirometry) and work performance and disability in older workers.
I have also been involved in the following projects:
- Cross-sectional study of RAF personnel with current asthma (funded by Burrow Hill Grant, British Lung Foundation), in collaboration with RAF respiratory and occupational health physicians
- Respiratory and cardiovascular effects of welding
- Respiratory health in compost workers
- Non-invasive markers of occupational rhinitis
I am Consultant in Occupational Lung Disease at the Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust. We run the largest and busiest department of its kind in Europe. The department holds regular external courses for occupational health practitioners, designed to assist management of all aspects of respiratory health in the workplace.
I also give presentations and provide independent consultancy on aspects of respiratory health and occupational lung disease to a variety of healthcare providers.
- Deputy Postgraduate Dean, and Clinical Lead for Physician Specialty Recruitment Office (PSRO), Health Education England (HEE) South London
- Core Medical Training Programme Director, HEE North West London
- Royal College of Physicians London (RCP) Mentor including the Emerging Women Leaders programme
- RCP (London) elected Council member and Linacre Fellow
- Member of the Group of Occupational Respiratory Disease Specialists (GORDS), working to align UK based occupational lung disease services with a focus on best practice and integrated care
- National Association of Clinical Tutors (NACT UK) Chair and Honorary Treasurer, and currently representing North Central and East London (NCEL)
Education and Training
Lead for internal and external education and training by the group, encompassing:
- occupational health, respiratory and allergy specialist physicians, nurses, advisors and technicians
primary care health professionals
undergraduate students and postgraduate trainees
visitors to the department, from work experience for sixth form students, to shadowing, observerships and fellowships
I am a CASLAT graduate (2006) and a Fellow of the HEA (2007).
For further information and contact details, please see our website: www.lungsatwork.org.uk.
et al., 2019, COPD and breathlessness in older workers predict economic inactivity; A prospective cohort study, American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Vol:200, ISSN:1073-449X, Pages:1228-1233
Vaux E, Szram J, 2019, Learning to speak up and to learn differently., Future Healthc J, Vol:6, ISSN:2514-6645, Pages:150-151
et al., 2019, Creation of novel training programmes mapped to the Joint Royal Colleges of Physicians Training Board Internal Medicine stage 1 curriculum., Future Healthc J, Vol:6, ISSN:2514-6645
et al., 2018, Update of the British Occupational Health Research Foundation (BOHRF) guidelines on occupational asthma., 28th International Congress of the European-Respiratory-Society (ERS), EUROPEAN RESPIRATORY SOC JOURNALS LTD, ISSN:0903-1936
et al., 2017, UPDATE OF THE BRITISH OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH FOUNDATION (BOHRF) EVIDENCE-BASED GUIDELINES ON THE PREVENTION AND MANAGEMENT OF OCCUPATIONAL ASTHMA, Winter Meeting of the British-Thoracic-Society, BMJ PUBLISHING GROUP, Pages:A205-A205, ISSN:0040-6376