Brujic D, Chappell KE, Ristic M. Accuracy of Collagen Fibre estimation under noise using directional MR Imaging. Computer Medical Imaging and Graphics. 2020 Oct: 10796:1-25.
Chappell KE, Brujic D, Van Der Straeten C, et al., 2019, Detection of maturity and ligament injury using magic angle directional imaging, Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, ISSN: 0740-3194
Logan KM, Chappell KE , Emsley RJ, Jeffries S, Andrzejewska I, Hyde MJ, Gale C, Development of early adiposity in infants of mothers with gestational diabetes mellitus Diabetes care 2016 39 (6), 1045-1051
Gale C, Jeffries S, Logan KM, Chappell KE, Uthaya SN, Modi N. Avioding sedation in research MRI and spectroscopy in infants: our approach, success rate and prevalence of incidental findings. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neontal Ed. 2013 May:98(3):F267-8 Epub 2012 Sep 26.
Yiannakas MC, Wheeler-Kingshott CA, Berry AM, Chappell KE, Henderson A, Kolappan M, Miller DH, Tozer DJ. A method for measuring the cross sectional area of the anterior portion of the optic nerve in vivo using a fast 3D MRI sequence. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2010 Jun:31(6):1486-1491.
Reichert IL, Robson MD, Gatehouse PD, He T, Chappell KE, Holmes J, Girgis S, Bydder GM. Magnetic resonance imaging of cortical bone with ultrashort TE pulse sequences. Magn Reson Imaging. 2005 Jun;23(5):611-618.
Reichert IL, Benjamin M, Gatehouse PD, Chappell KE, Holmes J, He T, Bydder GM. Magnetic resonance imaging of periosteum with ultrashort TE pulse sequences. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2004 Jan;19(1):99-107.
Chappell KE, Robson MD, Stonebridge-Foster A, Glover A, Allsop JM, Williams AD, Herlihy AH, Moss J, Gishen P, Bydder GM. Magic angle effects in MR neurography. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2004 Mar;25(3):431-40.
Chappell KE, Patel N, Gatehouse PD, Main J, Puri BK, Taylor-Robinson SD, Bydder GM. Magnetic resonance imaging of the liver with ultrashort TE (UTE) pulse sequences. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2003 Dec;18(6):709-13.
Chappell KE, Patel N, Gatehouse PD, Main J, Puri BK, Taylor-Robinson SD, Bydder GM. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Liver with ultrashort TE (UTE) pulse sequences. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2003 Dec, Vol:18(6) 709-713.
ISMRM_SMRT 2020 MSK Forum - Educational program.
Magic Angle Direction Imaging (MADI)
A novel extremity MRI scanner with a moving magnetic field led to the development of the Magic Angle Directional Imaging (MADI) technique. This technique harnesses the Magic Angle phenomenon, totally rethinking the way we scan and process images in light of the moving magnetic field. The MADI technique provides a non-invasive way to evaluate the underlying collagen fibre structure in the knee.
- - Revise dipoles and dipole-dipole interactions.
- - Revise the Magic Angle phenomenon, how and why it occurs.
- - Describe the MADI technique, optimal number of scan directions, potential uses.
Presentation is available here: https://youtu.be/ONMa-WKO8Yk
Q&A Session is available here:
Proton Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (1H MRS) of the Liver
In conventional MR imaging, the protons from chemicals such as water, fat and amino acids produce a combined signal that is used to generate an image. However, valuable information regarding metabolite and chemical composition within a volume is lost when phase and frequency encoding is used to generate the image. Instead of using the frequency variation of the signal within a voxel to create a cross-sectional image, MRS uses the frequency or position along the x-axis to separate and characterise the actual metabolites or chemicals within the voxel. Proton MRS (1HMRS) is widely considered the most accurate non-invasive method to measure liver fat (Charatcharoenwitthaya et al. 2007).
This session will outline how proton liver MRS works and focus on using liver MRS in practice. We will address the advantages and disadvantages of this technique, as well as practical issues. The session will be illustrated with clinical examples.
MEMBERSHIPS OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- SOR / COR - Society and College of Radiographers
- HCPC - Health and Care Professions Council
- BAMRR - British Association of MR Radiographers
- ISMRM - International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine
- SMRT - Society for MR Radiographers and Technologists
- EORS - European Orthopaedic Research Society
- Chappell KE, Ristic M, McRobbie D, Gedroyc W, Brujic D. Van Der Straeten C, Magic Angle Directional Imaging (MADI) visualises changes to collagen fibre orientation in patellar tendons after freezing. ISMRM 2020 https://cds.ismrm.org/protected/20MPresentations/abstracts/2802.html
- Chappell KE, Van Der Straeten C, McRobbie D, Gedroyc W, Ristic M, Brujic D. Meeson R. Magic Angle Directional Imaging (MADI) standard deviation maps correlate with knee pathology in a spontaneous injury model. ISMRM 2020 https://cds.ismrm.org/protected/20MPresentations/abstracts/2803.html
- Thangarajah A, Frost G, Thomas EL, Chappell KE, MRI assessment of body composition in paediatric Crohn's disease; intra-abdominal adipose tissue association with disease severity. BSPGHAN 2014
- Jenkins TM, Mancini L, Toosy AT, Ciccarelli O, Altmann D, Chappell KE, Plant GT, Miller DH, Thompson AJ. Using structural and functional MRI to explain visual loss in acute optic neuritis. ECTRIMS 2008
- Reichert I, Gatehouse PD, Firmin DN, Chappell KE, Herlihy AH, Holmes J, Young IR, Bydder GM. Proton Imaging of Periosteum and Coritical Bone with Ultrashort TE Pulse sequences. ISMRM 2003.
- Curati WL, Nanchahal J, Gilderdale DJ, Williams AD, Chappell KE, Gishen P, Bydder GM. MRI of the Wrist for preoperative Assessment of Tendon Involvement in Rheumatoid Arthritis. ISMRM 2003.
- Chappell KE, Gatehouse PD, Williams AD, Holmes J, Bydder GM, Taylor-Robinson SD. Clinical Imaging of the Liver with ultrashort TE Pulse sequences. ISMRM 2003.
- Chappell KE, Williams AD, Bydder M, Gilderdale DJ, Herlihy AH, Curati WL, Bydder GM. Magic angle imaging of the Median Nerve. ISMRM 2003.
ISMRM 2020, Virtual
Magic Angle Directional Imaging (MADI) visualises changes to collagen fibre orientation in patellar tendons after freezing https://youtu.be/PAV5OvDbQyg
Magic Angle Directional Imaging (MADI) standard deviation maps correlate with knee pathology in a spontaneous injury model https://youtu.be/UFxBfjKVl2w
ISMRM 2018, Paris
Analysis of collagen fibrillogenesis of a caprine patella tendon with magic angle imaging Poster
British Chapter ISMRM Postgraduate Symposium 2018, London
The Alignment Index (AI): A Collagen fibre orientation distribution analysis Poster
SMRT 2017, Honolulu
MRI but not as you know it! Poster
Hounsfield Lecture 2015, London
Novel Visualisation of Collagen using the Magic Angle Phenomenon Poster
1st Prize for the Best Poster at the Postgraduate Symposium of the British Chapter of ISMRM 2018 London.
2nd Prize for Best Poster Pitch at the Postgraduate Symposium of the British Chapter of ISMRM 2018 London.
Proffered Paper Prize - BAMRR Conference 2017 Glasgow, for a presentation titled "Making the invisible visible: Magic angle a source of artefact or a new technique for imaging?"
ISMRM 2018, Paris
Visualisation and quantification of collagen fibers in a partially torn ligament using magic angle imaging. Presentation Slides
ISMRM 2017 Honolulu
Advances in Angle Sensitive MRI: Towards in-vivo analysis of collagen fiber tracts in the Anterior Cruciate Ligament. Presentation Slides
EORS 2017, Munich
The Alignment Index: A new method to analyse collagen fibre orientation distribution in the knee. Presentation Slides
BAMRR 2017, Glasgow
Making the invisible visible: Magic angle a source of artefact or a new technique for imaging? Presentation Slides