Welcome to my profile!
I am a Research Associate supporting the transition to a net-zero emissions energy system, and a Fellow within the Council on Clean Electrification at the World Economic Forum. My research aims to facilitate a cost-effective integration of renewable energies: I develop mathematical models to operate electricity grids and markets efficiently. You can see a summary of my research here.
I did my PhD in Electrical Engineering under the supervision of Prof. Goran Strbac and Dr. Fei Teng, working on stochastic economic optimisation. In particular, I focused on the low-inertia challenge in modern electricity grids, which increases the risk of frequency instability. In plain words, I studied how to optimally buy "insurance" against power blackouts. This is done by deducing frequency-stability conditions and implementing them as constraints into optimisation routines, all while achieving computational efficiency.
POSITIONS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
- PhD opportunities in the area of power systems operation and economics will be available. Please contact me to discuss the details.
- I regularly supervise MEng and MSc students in Energy Modelling and Electrical Engineering. Drop me an email to discuss opportunities.
- Energy Consultant at Arup's Business and Investor Advisory unit, analysing and modelling future electricity markets for advising public and private clients.
- PhD thesis on optimal operation and market design for low-inertia power grids.
- Instructor at the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth, teaching robotics to gifted middle school students (summer 2016).
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering at the University of Maine (USA), supported by an Iberdrola Scholarship for Postgraduate Studies in Energy & Environment.
- Bachelor's thesis on design of a position sensor for induction cooktops, supported by a BSH Home Appliances research scholarship.
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering at the University of Zaragoza (Spain), with a 2 month internship at Titan International.
Badesa L, Teng F, Strbac G, 2021, Conditions for regional frequency stability in power system scheduling—Part II: application to unit commitment, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, ISSN:0885-8950
Badesa L, Teng F, Strbac G, 2021, Conditions for regional frequency stability in power system scheduling—part I: theory, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, ISSN:0885-8950, Pages:1-1
et al., 2021, Ancillary services in Great Britain during the COVID-19 lockdown: A glimpse of the carbon-free future, Applied Energy, Vol:285, ISSN:0306-2619, Pages:1-10
Badesa L, Teng F, Strbac G, 2020, Optimal portfolio of distinct frequency response services in low-inertia systems, Ieee Transactions on Power Systems, Vol:35, ISSN:0885-8950, Pages:4459-4469