- Reader in Geotectonics, Imperial College, 2002-
- Royal Society University Research Fellow, Imperial College, 1996-2003
- Fina Lecturer in Petroleum Structural Geology, Imperial College, 1994-1996
- Research Geologist, Shell Research, Rijswijk, The Netherlands, 1992-1994
- D.Phil. Department of Earth Sciences, Oxford University, 1988-1991
- Research sabbatical, BP Exploration, 2006-2008
- Visiting Scholar, Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences, Stanford University, California, 1999-2000
- First Virtual Remote Field Trip taught at Imperial College 2020; https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196961/imperial-geoscientists-complete-uks-first-msc/
If you are interested in learning more about the scenery and geology of Italy -take a look at Lidia's talk at the Imperial Festival May 2016
- Gravity driven deformation and related sedimentary systems in deep water slope environments.
- Formation of the South Atlantic passive margin.
- Shale tectonics and fold growth in Caspian Sea
- Salt Tectonics- onshore analogues, western Alps
- Formation of Sichuan Basin, China
- Deformation in sedimentary basins: insights from 3D seismic interpretation.
- Development of polygonal fault systems in mudrocks and the link with compaction and fluid flow in sedimentary basins.
- Quaternary ice-sheets extents on the continental shelf of NW Europe; subglacial tunnel valleys.
- Sand remobilization and injection (clastic intrusion)
Invited Lectures and Presentations
- Invited oral presentation "Seismic attributes and their use in interpreting structural and sedimentological relationships in sedimentary basins at SEISMIX 2016; Seismology at the cross-roads; Scotland, May 2016
- Invited lecture on “The Geology and Scenery of Italy: The Role of Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tectonic Plates” in the XIII Settimana della Lingua Italiana nel Mondo: “Research, Discovery, Innovation: Italy of Knowledge” series; Italian Cultural Institute, Dublin, Ireland; 14-20 October 2013.
- Invited oral presentation British Geophysical Association Annual Meeting- on Geophysics in Future Energy Challenges; February 2013: "Advances in understanding 'deepwater' salt and shale dominated passive margins and the hydrocarbon challenges'.
- Invited lecture to British Italian Society, London, September 2012: "Geology and Scenery: 100 Million years of Italian History".
- Invited Oral Presentation in INQUA 2011 session 88 "The British-Irish Ice Sheet: recent advances from terrestrial and marine investigations".
- Keynote presentation AAPG Hedberg conference "Deepwater fold and thrust belts"; Italy October 2009.
- AAPG US Distinguished Lecturer Tour 4-15 November 2002.
Talks given at University of California, Davis; University of Colorado, Boulder; Four Corners Geological Society, New Mexico; Forth Worth Geological Society, Texas; Montana Geological Society; University of Oklahoma, University of Missouri, Rolla; University of Arkansas, Fayetteville.
- Geoscience 98, Symposia on Dynamics of Subduction and Orogensis, Keele April 1998.
- GSA Penrose Conference, 1999. Mid-Cretaceous to Recent Plate Boundary Processes in the SW Pacific, New Zealand; March 1999.
- GSSEPM “Deepwater reservoirs of the world”, December 2000, Houston, Texas.
- Force Seminar on Polygonal Faults and Sand Injection; Norwegian Petroleum Directorate, Stavanger Norway 22 October 2002.
Galindo PA, Lonergan L, 2021, Sigmoidal normal faults and evidence for vertical-axis block rotation in an oblique convergent margin: a 3D seismic example from offshore Colombia, The Leading Edge, Vol:40, ISSN:1070-485X, Pages:923-930
et al., 2021, New statistical quantification of the impact of active deformation on the distribution of submarine channels, Geology, Vol:49, ISSN:0091-7613, Pages:926-930
et al., 2021, The formation of the Sichuan Basin, South China, during the Late Ediacaran to Early Cambrian, Basin Research, Vol:33, ISSN:0950-091X, Pages:2328-2357
et al., 2021, Quantifying the relationship between structural deformation and the morphology of submarine channels on the Niger Delta continental slope, Basin Research, Vol:33, ISSN:0950-091X, Pages:186-209
et al., 2020, Growth of a thrust fault array in space and time: An example from the deep-water Niger delta, Journal of Structural Geology, Vol:137, ISSN:0191-8141, Pages:1-20
Galindo PA, Lonergan L, 2020, Basin evolution and shale tectonics on an obliquely convergent margin: the Bahia Basin, offshore Colombian Caribbean, Tectonics, Vol:39, ISSN:0278-7407, Pages:1-32
et al., 2019, Seismic velocity structure of seaward-dipping reflectors on the South American continental margin, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Vol:521, ISSN:0012-821X, Pages:14-24
et al., 2019, The role of structural growth in controlling the facies and distribution of mass transport deposits in a deep-water salt minibasin, Marine and Petroleum Geology, Vol:104, ISSN:0264-8172, Pages:106-124
et al., 2018, Characterization of seaward-dipping reflectors along the South American Atlantic Margin and implications for continental breakup, Tectonics, Vol:37, ISSN:0278-7407, Pages:3303-3327