Leor Roseman, PhD, is a Research Fellow at the Centre for Psychedelic Research, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London. Leor received his MRes and PhD at Imperial, under the mentorship of Prof. Robin Carhart-Harris and Prof. David Nutt, and with the support of the Imperial College President's Scholarship.
With an interdisciplinary approach, Leor's research encompasses neuroscience, psychology, phenomenology, anthropology and conflict resolution; using a wide array of research methods (fMRI, quantitative, qualitative, microphenomenology, ethnographic, and participatory research)
He has conducted groundbreaking research into
- the neural correlates of the psychedelic state
- the role of the visual cortex in psychedelic imagery
- the therapeutic potential of the psychedelic experience
- the communal use of psychedelics, and their potential use for peacebuilding.
Leor believes that the social and communal aspects of psychedelic practices are crucial for their therapeutic potential and societal change, and much of his current research is dedicated towards this inquiry.
Some notable publications (for more publications, see publications tab):
- Roseman, L., Leech, R., Feilding, A., Nutt, D. J., & Carhart-Harris, R. L. (2014). The effects of psilocybin and MDMA on between-network resting state functional connectivity in healthy volunteers. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.
This is the first paper to show increased between-network functional connectivity – a result which has been replicated many times since then.
- Carhart-Harris, R. L., Muthukumaraswamy, S., Roseman, L., Kaelen, M., Droog, W., Murphy, K., ... & Nutt, D.J. (2016). Neural correlates of the LSD experience revealed by multimodal neuroimaging. PNAS.
- Roseman, L., Nutt, D. J., & Carhart-Harris, R. L. (2017). Quality of acute psychedelic experience predicts therapeutic efficacy of psilocybin for treatment-resistant depression. Frontiers in Pharmacology.
- Roseman,L., Demetriou, L., Wall, M. B., Nutt, D. J., & Carhart-Harris, R. L. (2017). Increased amygdala responses to emotional faces after psilocybin for treatment-resistant depression. Neuropharmacology.
- Carhart-Harris, R. L., Roseman, L., Haijen, E., Erritzoe, D., Branchi, I., & Kaelen, M. (2018). Psychedelics and the essential importance of context. Journal of Psychopharmacology.
- Roseman, L., Haijen, E., Idialu-Ikato, K., Kaelen, M., Watts, R., & Carhart-Harris, R. (2019). Emotional breakthrough and psychedelics: Validation of the Emotional Breakthrough Inventory. Journal of Psychopharmacology.
- Kettner, H., Rosas, F. E., Timmermann, C., Kärtner, L., Carhart-Harris, R. L., & Roseman, L. (2021). Psychedelic Communitas: intersubjective experience during psychedelic group sessions predicts enduring changes in psychological wellbeing and social connectedness. Frontiers in Pharmacology.
- Roseman, L., Ron, Y., Saca, A., Ginsberg, N., Luan, L., Karkabi, N., Doblin, R., & Carhart-Harris, R. (2021). Relational processes in ayahuasca groups of Palestinians and Israelis. Frontiers in Pharmacology.
- Roseman, L., & Karkabi, N. (2021). On Revelations and Revolutions: drinking Ayahuasca among Palestinians under Israeli occupation. Frontiers in Psychology.
- Roseman, L., Preller, K., Fotiou, E., & Winkelman, M. (2022). Editorial: Psychedelic Sociality: Pharmacological and Extrapharmacological Perspectives. Frontiers in Pharmacology
- Watts, R., Kettner, H., Geerts, D., Gandy, S., Kartner, L., Mertens, L., Timmermann, C., Nour, M., Kaelen, M., Nutt, D., Carhart-Harris, R. & Roseman, L. (2022). The Watts Connectedness Scale: a new scale for measuring a sense of connectedness to self, others, and world. Psychopharmacology
- Aqil, M., & Roseman, L. (2022). More than meets the eye: The role of sensory dimensions in psychedelic brain dynamics, experience, and therapeutics. Neuropharmacology.
- Timmermann, C., Roseman, L., Haridas, S., Rosas, F., Luan, L., Kettner, H… & Carhart-Harris, R. (2023). Human Brain Effects of DMT determined via fMRI-EEG. PNAS
ABOUT THe Centre
et al., 2023, In vivo mapping of pharmacologically induced functional reorganization onto the human brain's neurotransmitter landscape., Sci Adv, Vol:9
et al., 2023, Time-resolved network control analysis links reduced control energy under DMT with the serotonin 2a receptor, signal diversity, and subjective experience., Biorxiv
Mosurinjohn S, Roseman L, Girn M, 2023, Psychedelic-induced mystical experiences: an interdisciplinary discussion and critique, Frontiers in Psychiatry, Vol:14, ISSN:1664-0640, Pages:1-12
et al., 2023, Human brain effects of DMT assessed via EEG-fMRI, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of Usa, Vol:120, ISSN:0027-8424, Pages:1-12
Aqil M, Roseman L, 2023, More than meets the eye: The role of sensory dimensions in psychedelic brain dynamics, experience, and therapeutics., Neuropharmacology, Vol:223