I graduated with honours from “La Sapienza University” from Rome in 2016 and after my Erasmus and my Research Assistant internship at Heriot- Watt University in Edinburgh, I got a MSCA-ITN Early Stage Researcher position (Horizon 2020 EU programme). Awarded PhD in November 2020, currently Research Associate within the Polymer and Microfluidics Group.
- 2020-Present Research Associate, Imperial College London, Effect of surface topography and high throughput microfluidic formulation in cleaning applications
- 2017- 2020 Early Stage Researcher (ESR) and PhD student ,Imperial College London, Patterning and Microflow techniques in Biofilm prevention and removal
- 2017 Research Assistant, Smart textiles for cold water applications, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.
- 2016 Erasmus Traineeship, Modelling Mechanical properties in polymer- silica nanocomposites, Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh.
- 2014-2016 Laurea Magistrale (MSc 2 years) in Industrial Chemistry (Polymeric Materials curriculum), Poly (L-lactide) functionalization with taurine, Universitá degli studi di Roma “La Sapienza”, Rome.
- 2011-2014 Laurea Triennale (BSc) in Industrial Chemistry, Carboxylate Poly (L-Lactide) for microparticles preparation, Universitá degli studi di Roma “La Sapienza”, Rome.
My background in focused on polymer synthesis modification and characterization, especially on aliphatic and biodegradable polyesters. Thanks to my previous research, I extensively employed characterization techniques as FTIR, NMR, Dynamical Mechanical analysis and thermal analysis as TGA and DSC. I have always been fascinated by surface modification of polymers and soft materials. During my doctoral project, I investigated and modelled complex patterns generated through mechanical instabilities (buckling, wrinkling, folding and creasing) in soft material surfaces as PDMS and how this modified surface are able to interact with cells and bacterial morphology. In my current research project I am combining the expertise gained in wrinkling surface modification exploring dynamic condition, investigating the effect of surface topography and high throughput microfluidic formulation in removal and cleaning applications.
Pellegrino, L., Cocchiola, R., Francolini, I., Lopreiato, M., Piozzi, A., Zanoni, R., ... & Martinelli, A. (2017). Taurine grafting and collagen adsorption on PLLA films improve human primary chondrocyte adhesion and growth. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 158, 643-649.
Pellegrino, L., Khodaparast, S., & Cabral, J. T. (2020). Orthogonal wave superposition of wrinkled, plasma-oxidised, polydimethylsiloxane surfaces. Soft Matter, 16(3), 595-603.
Aoki, Y., Sharratt, W., Wang, H., O’Connell, R., Pellegrino, L., Rogers, S., ... & Cabral, J. T. (2020). Effect of Tacticity on the Phase Behavior and Demixing of PαMSAN/dPMMA Blends Investigated by SANS. Macromolecules, 53(1), 445-457.
Poster prize at Symposium on Topics in Molecular Science and Engineering, Imperial College London, UK
Alexei Likhtman Poster Prize at Physical Aspects of Polymer Science meeting, September 2019, University of Lincoln, UK
Marie Curie, ITN ESR grant, Imperial College London, 2017-2020 (Horizon 2020)
Erasmus Traineeship Sapienza 2016/2017 in Heriot-Watt University