I graduated with honours from “La Sapienza University” from Rome in 2016 and after my Erasmus and my Research Assistant internship at Heriot- Watt University in Edinburgh, I am a MSCA-ITN Early Stage Researcher within the Polymer and Microfluidics Group.
- 2017- Present Early Stage Researcher (ESR) and PhD student ,Imperial College London, Patterning and Microflow techniques in Biofilm prevention and removal
- 2017 Research Assistant, Smart textiles for cold water applications, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.
- 2016 Erasmus Traineeship, Modelling Mechanical properties in polymer- silica nanocomposites, Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh.
- 2014-2016 Laurea Magistrale (MSc 2 years) in Industrial Chemistry (Polymeric Materials curriculum), Poly (L-lactide) functionalization with taurine, Universitá degli studi di Roma “La Sapienza”, Rome.
- 2011-2014 Laurea Triennale (BSc) in Industrial Chemistry, Carboxylate Poly (L-Lactide) for microparticles preparation, Universitá degli studi di Roma “La Sapienza”, Rome.
My background in focused on polymer synthesis modification and characterization, especially on aliphatic and biodegradable polyesters. Thanks to my previous research, I extensively employed characterization techniques as FTIR, NMR, Dynamical Mechanical analysis and thermal analysis as TGA and DSC. I have always been fascinated by surface modification of polymers and soft materials. In my current project, I am investigating and modelling complex patterns generated through mechanical instabilities (buckling, wrinkling, folding and creasing) in soft material surfaces as PDMS and how this modified surface are able to interact with cells and bacterial morphology. My research focuses on developing fast, inexpensive and scalable approaches for surface patterning and microfabrication. I seek to couple these with microfluidics to investigate biofilm formation, prevention and removal.
L. Pellegrino, R. Cocchiola, A. Scotto D’Abusco, A. Martinelli, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 158 643–649 (2017)
- Poster prize at Symposium on Topics in Molecular Science and Engineering, Imperial College London, UK
- Alexei Likhtman Poster Prize at Physical Aspects of Polymer Science meeting, September 2019, University of Lincoln, UK