I am interested in understanding the effects of mechanical forces on human body and designing systems that can enhance this interaction. I lead a group of researchers at the HEAD lab. Our current focus is biomechanics of traumatic brain injury (TBI) and designing advanced protective devices. For this research, we use advanced computational techniques and design tools and collaborate with neurologists and neurosurgeons at Imperial Neurotrauma Centre. This work will improve head protection systems and treatment, leading to a reduction in death and disability after TBI.
If you are are interested in doing a PhD in my group, please send me an email.
My areas of interest are:
- Computational mechanics
- Energy absorbing materials
- Safety standards
- Imperial College Research Fellowship, 2013
- Young Researcher Award of the International Research Council of Biomechanics of Injury in 2009 for my work on helmet standards
- Best presentation award of the Dementia Research Symposium, 2017
I have consulted on a number of industrial projects. I currently work with Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) and St Mary's Major Trauma Centre on a research project related to TBI in road traffic collisions, co-funded by EPSRC CDT in Neurotechnology.
- Member of the ISO head protection committee (CEN/TC158-WG11)
- Member of the BSI head protection committee (BSI-P/H6)
- Member of the management committee of the COST Action TU1407
- Chartered engineer (CEng) and member of IMechE
- Fellow of Higher Educational Academy (FHEA)
- Invited speaker, Neurotrauma, Dec 2018
- Invited speaker, Frontiers in TBI, July 2018
- Invited session chair, CBIS annual conference, Nov 2018
I lead two modules in our MEng Design Engineering programme, Mechanics and Finite Element Analysis. I designed both modules in a way to enhance student engagement, a key contributor to deep learning. The labs that I designed for these modules have been highly rated by students: the catapult lab and the water tower lab.
My other departmental roles include:
Psarras S, Muñoz R, Ghajari M, 2023, Compression performance of composite plates after multi-site impacts: A combined experimental and finite element study, Composite Structures, Vol:322, ISSN:0263-8223, Pages:117342-117342
et al., 2023, An instrumented mouthguard for real-time measurement of head kinematics under a large range of sport specific accelerations, Sensors, Vol:23, ISSN:1424-8220, Pages:1-15
et al., 2023, A review of cyclist head injury, impact characteristics and the implications for helmet assessment methods, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol:51, ISSN:0090-6964, Pages:875-904
et al., 2023, Micromechanics in biology and medicine, Iet Nanobiotechnology, Vol:17, ISSN:1751-8741, Pages:125-126
et al., 2023, In-depth bicycle collision reconstruction: from a crash helmet to brain injury evaluation, Bioengineering, Vol:10, ISSN:2306-5354, Pages:1-16