I am interested in understanding the effects of mechanical forces on human body and designing systems that can enhance this interaction. I lead a group of researchers at the HEAD lab. Our current focus is biomechanics of traumatic brain injury (TBI) and designing advanced protective devices. For this research, we use advanced computational techniques and design tools and collaborate with neurologists and neurosurgeons at Imperial Neurotrauma Centre. This work will improve head protection systems and treatment, leading to a reduction in death and disability after TBI.
If you are are interested in doing a PhD in my group, please send me an email.
My areas of interest are:
- Computational mechanics
- Energy absorbing materials
- Safety standards
- Imperial College Research Fellowship, 2013
- Young Researcher Award of the International Research Council of Biomechanics of Injury in 2009 for my work on helmet standards
- Best presentation award of the Dementia Research Symposium, 2017
I have consulted on a number of industrial projects. I currently work with Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) and St Mary's Major Trauma Centre on a research project related to TBI in road traffic collisions, co-funded by EPSRC CDT in Neurotechnology.
- Member of the ISO head protection committee (CEN/TC158-WG11)
- Member of the BSI head protection committee (BSI-P/H6)
- Member of the management committee of the COST Action TU1407
- Chartered engineer (CEng) and member of IMechE
- Fellow of Higher Educational Academy (FHEA)
- Invited speaker, Neurotrauma, Dec 2018
- Invited speaker, Frontiers in TBI, July 2018
- Invited session chair, CBIS annual conference, Nov 2018
I lead two modules in our MEng Design Engineering programme, Mechanics and Finite Element Analysis. I designed both modules in a way to enhance student engagement, a key contributor to deep learning. The labs that I designed for these modules have been highly rated by students: the catapult lab and the water tower lab.
My other departmental roles include:
Duckworth H, Sharp DJ, Ghajari M, 2021, Smoothed particle hydrodynamic modelling of the cerebrospinal fluid for brain biomechanics: accuracy and stability, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, Vol:37, ISSN:1069-8299
et al., 2021, Player position in American Football influences the magnitude of mechanical strains produced in the location of chronic traumatic encephalopathy pathology: a computational modelling study, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol:118, ISSN:0021-9290
et al., 2021, Ranking and Rating Bicycle Helmet Safety Performance in Oblique Impacts Using Eight Different Brain Injury Models, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol:49, ISSN:0090-6964, Pages:1097-1109
et al., 2021, From biomechanics to pathology: predicting axonal injury from patterns of strain after traumatic brain injury., Brain: a Journal of Neurology, Vol:144, ISSN:0006-8950, Pages:70-91
et al., 2020, Mechanisms of tensile failure of cerebrospinal fluid in blast traumatic brain injury, Extreme Mechanics Letters, Vol:38, ISSN:2352-4316, Pages:1-9