Born in Leeds in the north of England, Michael Paraskos is a writer, art historian and occasional broadcaster. He is an active member of the Imperial College community and teaches undergraduate and adult education students diverse aspects of art and design history whilst also being the Manager for Imperial College's adult education programme.
- Art History 19th and 20th Centuries
- British Art History
- Architectural History in Britain
- Mythology in Art
- Member of Imperial College's Expert Network: Science and Engineering Research for Cultural Heritage
- Member of the Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
Michael has written for academic journals including The Journal of the History of Education, The Sculpture Journal and The Journal of Women's Studies and for other publications including The Guardian, The Spectator and Art Review.
In broadcasting he has appeared on radio and television, including as a reviewer on BBC Radio 4's Front Row and a competition judge on Channel 4 Television's The Big Breakfast. Outside Britain he has featured on Tariq Ali's The World Today for TeleSur television, the discussion programme Saskia Unreserved on CyBC Classic (Cyprus) and the SVT (Sweden) art programme Utblick, amongst others.
Previously Michael has taught at British universities including the University of Leeds, University of Nottingham and University of Hull, where he was Head of Art History for Fine Art, and he was Director of the Cornaro Art Institute in Larnaca, Cyprus from 2007 to 2014.
He is a visiting lecturer at the City and Guilds of London Art School where he delivers courses and supervises undergraduate and postgraduate research into architectural and sculpture history for the Department of Conservation Studies and the Department of Historic Carving.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- BA (Hons) Art History and English Literature, University of Leeds (1992)
- MRes Art History, 'English Expressionism', University of Leeds (1997)
- PhD, 'The Elephant and the Beetles: The Aesthetic Theory of Herbert Read', University of Nottingham (2005)
- ASET Level 4 Award in Post-16 Teaching (2008)
- OHSC Level 5 Advanced Diploma for Workplace Health and Safety (2020)
Paraskos M, 2020, Review of bauhaus goes west: modern art and design in britain and america, by alan powers, History of Education, Vol:49, ISSN:0046-760X, Pages:425-426
Bohm-Duchen M, 2019, Insiders/Outsiders Refugees from Nazi Europe and Their Contribution to British Visual Culture, ISBN:9781848223462
Paraskos M, 2017, Stass Paraskos A Celebration: at Pafos 2017 European Capital of Culture, ISBN:9780995713017
Paraskos M, 2017, Rabbitman, ISBN:9780995713000