Prof Templeton's Google Scholar profile can be found here.
His EPSRC Grants on the Web profile can be found here. A full list of funded projects is provided below.
Conference presentation video: ISNTD Water, Natural History Museum, London, November 2017.
- Laure Sione, PhD in progress, Citizen science for assessing the causes, characteristics, and costs of water supply intermittency in developing countries
- Laura Braun, PhD in progress, Water and sanitation interventions for the prevention of schistosomiasis
- Lucinda Hazell, PhD in progress, Sustainable water treatment methods for preventing schistosomiasis
- Benedict Krueger, PhD in progress, co-supervised, Novel methods for treating pit latrine sludge
- Joe Croft, PhD in progress, co-supervised, Dissolved organic carbon mineralisation, transformation and treatability in UK drinking water catchments
- Liliane Auwerter, PhD in progress, co-supervised, Low-energy water transmission in pipelines by hydrophobic coatings
- Lindsay Todman, PhD completed 2013, co-supervised, Modeling irrigation by pervaporative water transfer
- May Sule, PhD completed 2013, Salt and contaminant removal by pervaporative water treatment
- Kate Ellis, EngD completed 2014 (registered at the University of Sheffield), co-supervised, Towards zero bacteriological failures in water distribution networks
- Ian Mayor-Smith, EngD completed 2015, Improved methods for quantifying polychromatic UV disinfection dose
- Nurul Hana Mokhtar Kamal, PhD completed 2015, Nitrogenous disinfection by-products in drinking water - occurrence, formation and control
- Jack Grimes, PhD completed 2016, The impact of water, sanitation and hygiene on schistosomiasis
- Jonny Ritson, PhD completed 2016, co-supervised, The impact of climate change on surface water quality and drinking water treatment
- Sofia Semitsoglou-Tsiapou, PhD completed 2017, co-supervised, By-products of UV advanced oxidation
- Chrissa Sfynia, PhD completed 2018, co-supervised, Minimising regulated and unregulated disinfection by-products in drinking water
- Wan Norazrina Wan Rusli, PhD completed 2018, Plant-derived biocides for water treatment and other hygienic applications
- Acile Hammoud, PhD completed 2019, co-supervised, Modelling and controlling nitrate pollution of groundwater by pit latrines in developing countries
- Rosi Destiani, PhD completed 2019, Occurrence and control of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in water supply systems
- James Blyth, PhD completed 2019, Biochemical methods for estimating online UV disinfection dose
- Dr Zhuo Chen, 2007-09
- Dr Tom Bond, 2009-14
- Dr Claire Furlong, 2011-12
- Dr Lindsay Todman, 2013*
- Dr Jack Grimes, 2016-17
- Dr May Sule, 2018-present
- Dr Ana Pitol Garcia, 2019-present*
(*independently sponsored researcher)
RESEARCH TOPICS AND FUNDING
- Understanding and Managing the Risk of Water-Related Diseases Under Hydro-Meteorological Extremes, Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) grant reference NE/S003053/1, Z. Zulkafli and W. Buytaert (co-PIs), M.R. Templeton, A. Mijic, others, 2019-2021.
- Pathways to Equitable Healthy Cities, Wellcome Trust, M. Ezzati (PI), M.R. Templeton, others, 2018-2022.
- 'WISER: Water Infrastructure for Schistosomiasis-Endemic Regions', EPSRC Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) grant reference EP/P028519/1, M.R. Templeton (PI), S.M. Kingung'Hi, F. Beshah, A. Emery, P.S Freemont, F.E. Allan, 2017-2020.
- 'WISER: Water Treatment Information for Schistosomiasis-Endemic Regions', Royal Society-Royal Society of Chemistry International Exchanges Award, M.R. Templeton (PI), F. Beshah, 2017-2019.
- 'Water and Sanitation Interventions for Prevention of Schistosomiasis', Merck KGaA contribution to PhD studentship in the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Sustainable Civil Engineering, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2016-2020.
- 'Water and Sanitation Engineering Solutions for Controlling Schistosomiasis', EPSRC Global Challenges Research Fund project via institutional sponsorship award EP/P510798/1, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2016-17.
- 'Intermittent Water Supplies in Cities in Developing Countries', EPSRC Global Challenges Knowledge Exchange project via institutional sponsorship award EP/P510798/1, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2016-17.
- 'Schistosomiasis Elimination Demonstration Project', Global Schistosomiasis Alliance, J. Grimes (PI), M.R. Templeton, others, 2016.
- 'TWENTY 65: Tailored Water Solutions for Positive Impact', EPSRC grant reference EP/N010124/1, J. Boxall (PI), M.R Templeton, N. Graham, others, 2016-2021.
- 'Waterhubs: Modular Infrastructure for Urban Slums', EIT Climate KIC SME voucher, S. Saraf (PI), M.R. Templeton, 2015.
- 'Delivering Water Security for All during Shale Gas Production', Innovate UK / Technology Strategy Board, D. Arscott (PI), O. Holmstrom, M. Casey, C.C. Took, A. Babatunde, M.R. Templeton, 2015.
- 'EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Engineering for the Water Sector', EPSRC grant reference EP/L015412/1, P. Jeffrey (PI), D. Savic, J. Shucksmith, J. Amezaga, M.R. Templeton, 2014-2022.
- 'Minimising Disinfection By-Products in Drinking Water', Anglian Water, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2013-2016.
- 'Computational Chemistry to Elucidate NDMA Formation in Drinking Water', EPSRC National Service for Computational Chemistry Software, T. Bond (PI), M.R. Templeton, 2013-2014.
- 'The Sustainable Onsite Sanitation (SOS) Project: Research and Capacity-Building in Sanitation Engineering in West Africa', Royal Society-DFID, M.R. Templeton (PI), S. Faye, J.-P. Jourda, M. Boukari, 2013-2014.
- 'Quantitative Evaluation of the Effect of Improved Water, Sanitation and Hygiene on Schistomiasis Re-infection Following Mass Drug Administration', Wellcome Trust Institutional Strategic Support Fund (ISSF), M.R. Templeton (PI), W. Harrison, 2012-2015.
- 'Reaction Products from the UV Advanced Oxidation of Recalcitrant Micro-pollutants in Drinking Water', Wetsus and Anglian Water, L. Hernandez Leal (PI), N. Graham, M.R. Templeton, others, 2012-2016.
- 'Impact of Climate Change on Surface Water Quality and Drinking Water Treatment', Grantham Institute for Climate Change, N. Graham (PI), J. Clark, C. Freeman, T. Bond, M.R. Templeton, 2012-2015.
- 'Biodesalination: From Cell to Tap', EPSRC grant reference EP/J004871/1, A. Amtmann (PI), L. Lawton, C.A. Biggs, J. Amezaga, M.R. Templeton, 2011-2014.
- 'Treatment and Beneficial Reuse of Produced Waters Using a Novel Pervaporation-Based Irrigation Technology', Research Partnerships to Secure Energy for America (RPSEA), J. Brant (PI), M.R. Templeton, 2011-2014.
- 'Monitoring of Nitrogenated Disinfection By-Products in Drinking Water', Defra, M.R. Templeton (PI), N. Graham, R. Kanda, 2011-2012.
- 'Dolphin-Skin Ultra-Smooth Pipes: Using Cutting-Edge Chemistry and Biomimicry to Drastically Reduce the Energy Requirements of Water Transmission', Imperial-UCL Kick-Start programme, M.R. Templeton (PI), A. Wills, 2011.
- 'Nitrogenous Disinfection By-Products in Drinking Water: Occurrence and Formation', Malaysia-Imperial Doctoral Programme, M.R. Templeton (PI), H.A. Aziz, 2010-2013.
- 'Next Generation Onsite Sanitation Technologies for Developing Countries', subcontract via Sanitation Ventures / LSHTM, S. Sugden (PI), W. Gibson, C. Furlong, M.R. Templeton, others, 2010-2012.
- 'Meeting the Challenges of Microbial Pathogens in Drinking Water with Chemical-Free Disinfection Processes, EPSRC Stream IDC and Hanovia/Berson UV Ltd, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2010-2014.
- 'Review of the Current Toxicological and Occurrence Information Avaliable on Nitrogen-Containing Disinfection By-Products', Defra, M.R. Templeton (PI), M. Nieuwenhuijsen, N. Graham, 2009-2010.
- 'Stream - Skills, Technology, Research and Management: An Industrial Doctorate Centre for the Water Sector', EPSRC grant reference EP/G037094/1, P. Jeffrey (PI), D. Butler, D. Savic, R.M. Ashley, A. Saul, N. Graham, M.R. Templeton, T. Curtis, 2009-2018.
- 'Towards Zero Bacteriological Failures in Distribution Systems', EPSRC Stream IDC and Severn Trent Water, C.A. Biggs (PI), M.R. Templeton, 2009-2013.
- 'Ensuring Cryptosporidium-Free Drinking Water Using Ultraviolet Disinfection', EPSRC Stream IDC and Trojan UV Technologies, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2009-2013.
- 'The Formation and Occurrence of N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) and Other N-Nitrosamines in UK Drinking Water', EPSRC grant reference EP/F001940/1, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2007-2010.
- 'Development of an Appropriate Safe Drinking Water Supply System for Slum Dwellers and Squatters in Nepal, British Council-DFID DelPHE programme, M.R. Templeton (PI), S. Tripathi, 2007-2010.
- 'The Formation and Occurrence of Haloacetic Acids in Drinking Water', EPSRC grant reference EP/D502411/1, N. Graham (PI), M. Nieuwenhuijsen, C. Collins, M.R. Templeton, 2005-2009.