Professor Templeton's research focuses on addressing public health challenges related to water supply and sanitation.
His Google Scholar profile can be found here.
A full list of funded projects is provided in the tab below.
Websites: 'WISER': Water Infrastructure for Schistosomiasis-Endemic Regions; International Worm-Based Sanitation Association; Mapping water supply intermittency in Nepal; Enhancing engineering education in Sierra Leone
Blog articles: World Toilet Day: Making sanitation sustainable and safe; World Water Day: Controlling schistosomiasis; Africa Day: Towards eliminating schistosomiasis in Africa - a multi-disciplinary effort
Conference presentation video: ISNTD Water, Natural History Museum, London, November 2017
Lecture video: Professorial inaugural lecture, 18 May 2022
- Maria Koulouri, PhD in progress, co-supervised, Resource recovery from pyrolysis of faecal sludge
- Jiaodi Zhang, PhD in progress, The role of soap in schistosomiasis prevention
- Chotiwat Jantarakasem, PhD in progress, Novel low-cost methods for measuring drinking water turbidity
- Aiman Uteyeva, PhD in progress, Re-inventing the septic tank
- Lindsay Todman, PhD completed 2013, co-supervised, Modeling irrigation by pervaporative water transfer
- May Sule, PhD completed 2013, Salt and contaminant removal by pervaporative water treatment
- Kate Ellis, EngD completed 2014 (registered at the University of Sheffield), co-supervised, Towards zero bacteriological failures in water distribution networks
- Ian Mayor-Smith, EngD completed 2015, Improved methods for quantifying polychromatic UV disinfection dose
- Nurul Hana Mokhtar Kamal, PhD completed 2015, Nitrogenous disinfection by-products in drinking water - occurrence, formation and control
- Jack Grimes, PhD completed 2016, The impact of water, sanitation and hygiene on schistosomiasis
- Jonny Ritson, PhD completed 2016, co-supervised, The impact of climate change on surface water quality and drinking water treatment
- Sofia Semitsoglou-Tsiapou, PhD completed 2017, co-supervised, By-products of UV advanced oxidation
- Chrissa Sfynia, PhD completed 2018, co-supervised, Minimising regulated and unregulated disinfection by-products in drinking water
- Wan Norazrina Wan Rusli, PhD completed 2018, Plant-derived biocides for water treatment and other hygienic applications
- Acile Hammoud, PhD completed 2019, co-supervised, Modelling and controlling nitrate pollution of groundwater by pit latrines in developing countries
- Rosi Destiani, PhD completed 2019, Occurrence and control of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in water supply systems
- James Blyth, PhD completed 2019, Biochemical methods for estimating online UV disinfection dose
- Liliane Auwerter, PhD completed 2020, co-supervised, Low-energy water transmission in pipelines by hydrophobic coatings
- Laura Braun, PhD completed 2021, The effectiveness of water treatment processes against schistosome cercariae
- Benedict Krueger, PhD completed 2021, co-supervised, Novel methods for treating pit latrine sludge
- Lucinda Hazell, PhD completed 2022, Ultraviolet disinfection of schistosome cercariae in water
- Laure Sioné, PhD completed 2022, Citizen science for assessing the causes, characteristics, and costs of water supply intermittency in developing countries
- Dr Zhuo Chen, 2007-09
- Dr Tom Bond, 2009-14
- Dr Claire Furlong, 2011-12
- Dr Lindsay Todman, 2013*
- Dr Jack Grimes, 2016-17
- Dr May Sule, 2018-20
- Dr Ana Pitol Garcia, 2019-21*
- Dr Laure Sioné, 2022-present
(*independently sponsored researcher)
RESEARCH TOPICS AND FUNDING
- Oxfam and Water For People / Royal Academy of Engineering Research Chair in Global Sanitation Technology, 2022-2027.
- Exploratory Research and Knowledge Exchange Regarding the Environmental and Human Behavioural Contexts of Schistosomiasis Infection in the Lake Victoria region of Tanzania, Research England Global Challenges Research Fund internal award, M.R Templeton (PI), A. Pitol Garcia, 2020.
- Integrated Research into Utility Services and Improving the Urban Environment, Royal Academy of Engineering Higher Education Partnerships in Sub-Saharan Africa project, K. Mansaray (PI), M.R. Templeton, others, 2019-2021.
- Understanding and Managing the Risk of Water-Related Diseases Under Hydro-Meteorological Extremes, Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) grant reference NE/S003053/1, Z. Zulkafli and W. Buytaert (co-PIs), M.R. Templeton, A. Mijic, others, 2019-2021.
- Pathways to Equitable Healthy Cities, Wellcome Trust, M. Ezzati (PI), M.R. Templeton, others, 2018-2022.
- 'WISER: Water Infrastructure for Schistosomiasis-Endemic Regions', EPSRC Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) grant reference EP/P028519/1, M.R. Templeton (PI), S.M. Kingung'Hi, F. Beshah, A. Emery, P.S Freemont, F.E. Allan, 2017-2021.
- 'WISER: Water Treatment Information for Schistosomiasis-Endemic Regions', Royal Society-Royal Society of Chemistry International Exchanges Award, M.R. Templeton (PI), F. Beshah, 2017-2019.
- 'Water and Sanitation Interventions for Prevention of Schistosomiasis', Merck KGaA contribution to PhD studentship in the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Sustainable Civil Engineering, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2016-2020.
- 'Water and Sanitation Engineering Solutions for Controlling Schistosomiasis', EPSRC Global Challenges Research Fund project via institutional sponsorship award EP/P510798/1, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2016-17.
- 'Intermittent Water Supplies in Cities in Developing Countries', EPSRC Global Challenges Knowledge Exchange project via institutional sponsorship award EP/P510798/1, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2016-17.
- 'Schistosomiasis Elimination Demonstration Project', Global Schistosomiasis Alliance, J. Grimes (PI), M.R. Templeton, others, 2016.
- 'TWENTY 65: Tailored Water Solutions for Positive Impact', EPSRC grant reference EP/N010124/1, J. Boxall (PI), M.R Templeton, N. Graham, others, 2016-2021.
- 'Waterhubs: Modular Infrastructure for Urban Slums', EIT Climate KIC SME voucher, S. Saraf (PI), M.R. Templeton, 2015.
- 'Delivering Water Security for All during Shale Gas Production', Innovate UK / Technology Strategy Board, D. Arscott (PI), O. Holmstrom, M. Casey, C.C. Took, A. Babatunde, M.R. Templeton, 2015.
- 'EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Engineering for the Water Sector', EPSRC grant reference EP/L015412/1, P. Jeffrey (PI), D. Savic, J. Shucksmith, J. Amezaga, M.R. Templeton, 2014-2022.
- 'Minimising Disinfection By-Products in Drinking Water', Anglian Water, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2013-2016.
- 'Computational Chemistry to Elucidate NDMA Formation in Drinking Water', EPSRC National Service for Computational Chemistry Software, T. Bond (PI), M.R. Templeton, 2013-2014.
- 'The Sustainable Onsite Sanitation (SOS) Project: Research and Capacity-Building in Sanitation Engineering in West Africa', Royal Society-DFID, M.R. Templeton (PI), S. Faye, J.-P. Jourda, M. Boukari, 2013-2014.
- 'Quantitative Evaluation of the Effect of Improved Water, Sanitation and Hygiene on Schistomiasis Re-infection Following Mass Drug Administration', Wellcome Trust Institutional Strategic Support Fund (ISSF), M.R. Templeton (PI), W. Harrison, 2012-2015.
- 'Reaction Products from the UV Advanced Oxidation of Recalcitrant Micro-pollutants in Drinking Water', Wetsus and Anglian Water, L. Hernandez Leal (PI), N. Graham, M.R. Templeton, others, 2012-2016.
- 'Impact of Climate Change on Surface Water Quality and Drinking Water Treatment', Grantham Institute for Climate Change, N. Graham (PI), J. Clark, C. Freeman, T. Bond, M.R. Templeton, 2012-2015.
- 'Biodesalination: From Cell to Tap', EPSRC grant reference EP/J004871/1, A. Amtmann (PI), L. Lawton, C.A. Biggs, J. Amezaga, M.R. Templeton, 2011-2014.
- 'Treatment and Beneficial Reuse of Produced Waters Using a Novel Pervaporation-Based Irrigation Technology', Research Partnerships to Secure Energy for America (RPSEA), J. Brant (PI), M.R. Templeton, 2011-2014.
- 'Monitoring of Nitrogenated Disinfection By-Products in Drinking Water', Defra, M.R. Templeton (PI), N. Graham, R. Kanda, 2011-2012.
- 'Dolphin-Skin Ultra-Smooth Pipes: Using Cutting-Edge Chemistry and Biomimicry to Drastically Reduce the Energy Requirements of Water Transmission', Imperial-UCL Kick-Start programme, M.R. Templeton (PI), A. Wills, 2011.
- 'Nitrogenous Disinfection By-Products in Drinking Water: Occurrence and Formation', Malaysia-Imperial Doctoral Programme, M.R. Templeton (PI), H.A. Aziz, 2010-2013.
- 'Next Generation Onsite Sanitation Technologies for Developing Countries', subcontract via Sanitation Ventures / LSHTM, S. Sugden (PI), W. Gibson, C. Furlong, M.R. Templeton, others, 2010-2012.
- 'Meeting the Challenges of Microbial Pathogens in Drinking Water with Chemical-Free Disinfection Processes, EPSRC Stream IDC and Hanovia/Berson UV Ltd, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2010-2014.
- 'Review of the Current Toxicological and Occurrence Information Avaliable on Nitrogen-Containing Disinfection By-Products', Defra, M.R. Templeton (PI), M. Nieuwenhuijsen, N. Graham, 2009-2010.
- 'Stream - Skills, Technology, Research and Management: An Industrial Doctorate Centre for the Water Sector', EPSRC grant reference EP/G037094/1, P. Jeffrey (PI), D. Butler, D. Savic, R.M. Ashley, A. Saul, N. Graham, M.R. Templeton, T. Curtis, 2009-2018.
- 'Towards Zero Bacteriological Failures in Distribution Systems', EPSRC Stream IDC and Severn Trent Water, C.A. Biggs (PI), M.R. Templeton, 2009-2013.
- 'Ensuring Cryptosporidium-Free Drinking Water Using Ultraviolet Disinfection', EPSRC Stream IDC and Trojan UV Technologies, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2009-2013.
- 'The Formation and Occurrence of N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) and Other N-Nitrosamines in UK Drinking Water', EPSRC grant reference EP/F001940/1, M.R. Templeton (PI), 2007-2010.
- 'Development of an Appropriate Safe Drinking Water Supply System for Slum Dwellers and Squatters in Nepal, British Council-DFID DelPHE programme, M.R. Templeton (PI), S. Tripathi, 2007-2010.
- 'The Formation and Occurrence of Haloacetic Acids in Drinking Water', EPSRC grant reference EP/D502411/1, N. Graham (PI), M. Nieuwenhuijsen, C. Collins, M.R. Templeton, 2005-2009.