- Full-waveform seismic inversion
- Crustal & exploration seismology
- Machine learning
- Medical FWI
Recent Measures of Esteem
- 2015 Guido Bonarelli Award: For the paper "Adaptive waveform inversion – FWI without cycle skipping", presented at the 76th EAGE Conference & Exhibition, Amsterdam, June 2014.
- 2013 Society of Exploration Geophysicists: Best paper in Geophysics for "Anisotropic 3D full-waveform inversion"
- 2009 Guido Bonarelli Award: For the paper "Efficient and Effective 3D Wavefield Tomography", presented at the 70th EAGE Annual Conference, Rome, June 2008.
- 2005 European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers: Best EAGE oral paper “Fully data-driven and robust techniques for seismic multiple attenuation”.
- 2005 - 2020 £8.8 million of awards to support the Fullwave consortium.
- Professor of Geophysics, Imperial College 2000 - date
- Chief Technical Officer, S-Cube 2015 - date
- Director of the Fullwave research consortium 2005 - date
- Head of Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College 2001-2006
- Reader in Geophysics, Imperial College 1995-2000
- BP Lecturer in Geophysics, Imperial College 1989-1994
- BIRPS core group, Bullard Labs, Cambridge 1982-1989
- NERC Fellow, University of Edinburgh 1979-1982
- DPhil Magnetospheric Physics, University of York 1979
- BA Physics & Philosophy, University of York 1974
et al., 2019, Tectonism and Its Relation to Magmatism Around Santorini Volcano From Upper Crustal P Wave Velocity, Journal of Geophysical Research-solid Earth, ISSN:2169-9313
et al., 2019, Corrigendum to “Seismic imaging of Santorini: Subsurface constraints on caldera collapse and present-day magma recharge” [Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 514 (2019) 48–61], Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Vol:515, ISSN:0012-821X, Pages:291-291
et al., 2019, Penetrating below the diving waves with RWI, AWI, and FWI: A NWS Australia case study
et al., 2019, Removing elastic effects in FWI using supervised cycled generative adversarial networks
et al., 2019, Extending the velocity resolution of waveform inversion below the diving waves using AWI