- Full-waveform seismic inversion
- Crustal & exploration seismology
- Machine learning
- Medical FWI
Recent Measures of Esteem
- 2015 Guido Bonarelli Award: For the paper "Adaptive waveform inversion – FWI without cycle skipping", presented at the 76th EAGE Conference & Exhibition, Amsterdam, June 2014.
- 2013 Society of Exploration Geophysicists: Best paper in Geophysics for "Anisotropic 3D full-waveform inversion"
- 2009 Guido Bonarelli Award: For the paper "Efficient and Effective 3D Wavefield Tomography", presented at the 70th EAGE Annual Conference, Rome, June 2008.
- 2005 European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers: Best EAGE oral paper “Fully data-driven and robust techniques for seismic multiple attenuation”.
- 2005 - 2020 £8.8 million of awards to support the Fullwave consortium.
- Professor of Geophysics, Imperial College 2000 - date
- Chief Technical Officer, S-Cube 2015 - date
- Director of the Fullwave research consortium 2005 - date
- Head of Department of Earth Science and Engineering, Imperial College 2001-2006
- Reader in Geophysics, Imperial College 1995-2000
- BP Lecturer in Geophysics, Imperial College 1989-1994
- BIRPS core group, Bullard Labs, Cambridge 1982-1989
- NERC Fellow, University of Edinburgh 1979-1982
- DPhil Magnetospheric Physics, University of York 1979
- BA Physics & Philosophy, University of York 1974
et al., 2020, Full-waveform inversion imaging of the human brain, Npj Digital Medicine, Vol:3, ISSN:2398-6352, Pages:1-12
et al., 2020, Mitigating elastic effects in marine 3-D full-waveform inversion, Geophysical Journal International, Vol:220, ISSN:0956-540X, Pages:2089-2104
et al., 2019, Tectonism and Its Relation to Magmatism Around Santorini Volcano From Upper Crustal P Wave Velocity, Journal of Geophysical Research-solid Earth, Vol:124, ISSN:2169-9313, Pages:10610-10629
et al., 2021, Accurate velocities and reduced cycle times from cloud-enabled full waveform inversion using XWI (AWI and RWI)
et al., 2020, 3D elastic semi-global waveform inversion - estimation of Vp to Vs ratio, Pages:1440-1444