- Outstanding Paper 2020 Award, Materials and Structures Journal, 2021
- YK Cheung Lecturer, The University of Hong Kong and Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, 2019
- HonFICT, 2015
- FREng, Royal Academy of Engineering, 2011
- ICE MCR Award, Institution of Civil Engineers, 2009
- Sir Frederick Lea Memorial Lecturer, ICT, 2004
- ICE Telford Premium, Institution of Civil Engineers, 1999
- CEng, Engineering Council UK, 1984
- PhD, University of London, 1984
- DIC, Imperial College, 1981
- MSc, Imperial College, 1981
- Member, Management Board, UKCRIC, 2016
- Member, Membership Committee, Royal Academy of Engineering, 2013
- Member, Joint Board of Moderators, 2012
- Member, EPSRC Peer Review College
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Honorary Fellow, ICT, 2015
- Fellow, Royal Academy of Engineering, 2011
- Fellow, Institution of Civil Engineers
- Fellow, Institution of Structural Engineers
- Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, Los Angeles, Advice on achieving an unusually long design life.
- EPR nuclear power stations (AMEC/EDF), Development of specification for nuclear island (2008-11).
- Great Man-made River, Libya, Advice on construction and durability (2001-10)
- Jubilee Line Extension (London Underground Ltd), Life prediction and remote monitoring guidance.
- Southern Expressway Sri Lanka (Government of Sri Lanka), Advice on the cause and implications of cracking to a series of new bridges (2010).
- Troll offshore platform (Norwegian Contractors), Theoretical study of influence of sea-water flow through cracks on stability of the platform under storm conditions.
- Tsing Ma Bridge (Hong Kong Government), Expert witness in litigation.
- William J Marshall and Partners, Expert witness/advice concerning litigation arising from construction defects and premature deterioration.