Oliver Buxton is a Reader in Experimental Fluid Mechanics in the Department of Aeronautics at Imperial College London. The main focus of his research is the application of laser diagnostics to turbulence research. In particular, he has focused on multiscale-generated turbulence and turbulent entrainment, specifically turbulent entrainment from a turbulent background. He is currently an EPSRC fellow applying these advances to understanding, and modelling turbulent wakes produced by wind turbines which is a vital precurosr to developing accurate wind-farm optimisation tools.
He also has a developing interest in Martian aerodynamics. Due to the thin atmosphere, and different chemical composition (primarily carbon dioxide), flight on Mars is characterised by a peculiar combination of transonic Mach number and very low Reynolds number (typical of insect flight on Earth).
- 2021 - present Reader in Experimental Fluid Mechanics in the Department of Aeronautics at Imperial College London
- 2017 - 2021 Senior Lecturer in Experimental Aerodynamics in the Department of Aeronautics at Imperial College London
- 2013 - 2017: Lecturer in Experimental Aerodynamics in the Department of Aeronautics at Imperial College London
- 2011 - 2013: Post Doctoral Research Fellow at the Flowfield Imaging Lab at the University of Texas at Austin
- 2007 - 2011: PhD at Imperial College London, thesis title "Fine scale features of turbulent shear flow"
- 2003 - 2007: M.A/M.Eng in Engineering at St. John's College, the University of Cambridge
Buxton O, Lingkan E, 2023, An assessment of the scalings for the streamwise evolution of turbulent quantities in wakes produced by porous objects, Renewable Energy, ISSN:0960-1481
Kankanwadi K, Buxton O, 2023, Influence of freestream turbulence on the near-field growth of a turbulent cylinder wake: Turbulent entrainment and wake meandering, Physical Review Fluids, Vol:8, ISSN:2469-990X, Pages:28-28
Kankanwadi K, Buxton O, 2022, On the physical nature of the turbulent/turbulent interface, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol:942, ISSN:0022-1120
Biswas N, Marangon Cicolin M, Buxton O, 2022, Energy exchanges in the flow past a cylinder with a leeward control rod, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol:941, ISSN:0022-1120
et al., 2022, Direct numerical simulation of flow over a triangular airfoil under martian atmospheric conditions, Aiaa Journal: Devoted to Aerospace Research and Development, Vol:60, ISSN:0001-1452, Pages:3961-3972