My research vision is to pioneer cost optimal, cost-effective and innovative ways to decarbonise residential and industrial systems (where industrial systems is defined taking into account industrial processes and their associated energy system). My multidisciplinary research experience and expertise at the interface of Engineering, Policy and Economics places me in the best position to address adoption and increased market share of low carbon technologies and concepts to support Industrial Decarbonisation.
Dr Gbemi Oluleye is an assistant professor at the Centre for Environmental Policy in the Faculty of Natural Sciences, and a member of the Sargent Centre for Process Systems Engineering and leader of the Clean Industrial Systems Research group (ciesresearchgroup.com).She is also the academic champion for policy and academic champion for industrial decarbonisation at the Energy Futures Laboratory, Imperial College London.
She has worked as the lead researcher in a range of projects in both academia and industry, covering advanced waste heat recovery in the energy intensive industry, efficient energy integrated solutions for manufacturing industries, integration of renewable energy in small scale industry, hierarchical ordering of energy efficiency measures for some foundation industries, exploiting energy efficiency in a business model to support technology adoption, fabric integrated thermal storage for low carbon dwellings, quantifying distributed energy potential for the UK, commercialisation of biogas fuelled solid oxide fuel cells in Europe, emerging strategies for decarbonising energy intensive industries, pathways to commercialisation of clean industrial systems and renewable gas production in Europe.
Gbemi received a BSc in Chemical Engineering from the Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria in 2008, completed an MSc in Advanced Chemical Process Design at the University of Manchester in 2010, and obtained her PhD from the University of Manchester (2012 - 2016). She has over 10 years combined experience in academia and industry.
RESEARCH TRACK RECORD
My previous track record is centred on three major themes. The first is industrial technology and system design, development and assessment, the second theme is industrial technology and system integration and the third theme is industrial technology and system adoption.
areas of expertise
- Modelling of Low Carbon Technologies (for heat and electricity provision in domestic, commercial and industrial energy systems), industrial processes, and industrial systems
- Development of graphical and optimisation tools for grassroot design, operational optimisation and retrofit of industrial systems
- Pinch Analysis, Total Site Analysis, Process Integration, Process Systems Engineering
- Thermodynamic assessment of industrial systems (based on energy and exergy)
- Techno-economic assessment of industrial systems
- Environmental assessment of industrial systems
- Systems, business model and policy innovation to support industrial decarbonisation
- Quantification of the impact of systems, business models and policies in increasing the market share of clean industrial systems
- providing rigorous evidence to support policy creation
- Global market potential analysis of low-to-zero carbon technologies, and energy vectors
et al., 2021, A bottom-up appraisal of the technically installable capacity ofbiogas-based solid oxide fuel cells for self power generation in wastewatertreatment plants, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol:279, ISSN:0301-4797, Pages:1-15
et al., 2021, Pathways to commercialisation of biogas fuelled solid oxide fuel cells in European wastewater treatment plants, Applied Energy, Vol:282, ISSN:0306-2619
Oluleye G, 2020, A novel optimisation framework to support increased uptake of low carbon industrial energy systems, Chemical Engineering Transactions, Vol:81, ISSN:1974-9791, Pages:1063-1068
Oluleye O, Teng Y, A Comparative Assessment of Policies to Support Heat Decarbonisation in an Industrial Site Utility System, 12th International Conference on Applied Energy
Oluleye O, 2020, Reducing Carbon Mitigation costs of Biogas Fuelled Solid Oxide Fuel Cells: An impact of new business models, 15th Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy Water and Environment Systems (SDEWES 2020)