- Professor of Earth Sciences: 2013-present
- Head of Section (E2M2) 2011-present
- Reader: Imperial College 2008-2013
- Director of Undergraduate Studies: 2001-2005
- Lecturer then Senior Lecturer: Imperial College: 1997-2008
- Lecturer University of Reading: 1989-1996
- Post-doc Kochi University Japan: 1989
- Post-doc University of Washington: 1987-1988
- PhD University of Bristol: 1984-1987
- Ocean modelling, modern and ancient
- Fossil preservation
- Evolutionary change in benthic faunas
- Epi-continental seas
Recent Measures of Esteem
- Co-editor (with Dave Bottjer, USC) of "Taphonomy: Bias and Process Through Time (2011) published as part of the "Topics in Geolobioloy Series" (Springer)
- SEPM awarded us 'Honorable Mention' (2008) for our paper: Wells, M.R., Allison, P.A., Piggott, M.D., Gorman, G.J., Hampson, G.J., Pain, C.C., and Fang, F., 2007, Numerical modeling of tides in the late Pennsylvanian Midcontinent seaway of North America with implications for hydrography and sedimentation: Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 77, p. 843-865.
- Guest co-editor of issue 270 (issues 3-4, 2008) of Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology (Biotic Sediment Interactions), pages 217-406.
- 2006 Invited Key-note speaker 'Palaeogeography and Palaeobiogeography' at Cambridge
- 2006 Invited Key-note speaker at "The Application of Earth System Modelling to Exploration" Snowbird, USA.
- 2006 Co-chair 'Epi-continental Seas in the Geological Record' Geological Society of America
- 2005 Co-chair ‘Taphonomy' Geological Society of America
et al., 2019, Ecological niche modelling does not support climatically-driven dinosaur diversity decline before the Cretaceous/Paleogene mass extinction, Nature Communications, Vol:10, ISSN:2041-1723
et al., 2017, Tidal dynamics and mangrove carbon sequestration during the Oligo–Miocene in the South China Sea, Nature Communications, Vol:8, ISSN:2041-1723