Professor and Honorary Consultant in Urology. Qualifications include MB ChB LIverpool 1977, ChM Liverpool 1987, FRCS Edinburgh 1980, FRCS London 1981.
Reserach interests include
- Sex hormones for advanced prostate cancer; PI for CR-UK funded MRC CTU supported randomised phase II clinical trial comparing LHRH agonists with transdermal oestrogens
- High intensity focused ultrasound HIFU); Spinout company Acublate (with CR-UK(T), IC, ICHNHST), patented technology for increased speed and accuracy of totally non-invasive ablation currently being interfaced with imaging and undergoing in vitro and ex vivo testing prior to human clinical trials.
- Sex hormones and realtionship to cognitive impairment, bone densityand body odour.
- MRC CTU
- Prof P Price
- Prof B Puri
- Dr R Abel
- Prof Jeff Hand
- Dr Rob Dickinson
- Dr R Gale
Member of editorial boards include computer aided surgery & biomed central (urology).
Member of ICH tissue bank committee.
- Undergraduate lead for 3rd year urology at IC
- Oversea final year shadowing for final year students, second year students and postgraduate entry programme students
- Postgraduate; 2 MSc students (Biomarkers, HIFU)
- 3 PhD students (HIFU, contrast enhanced heptaic perfusion index, sex hormones)
et al., 2018, Transdermal oestradiol as a method of androgen suppression for prostate cancer within the STAMPEDE trial platform, Bju International, Vol:121, ISSN:1464-4096, Pages:680-683
et al., 2018, Evaluating the prevalence and predictive factors of vasomotor and psychological symptoms in prostate cancer patients receiving hormonal therapy: Results from a single institution experience, Clinical and Translational Radiation Oncology, Vol:10, Pages:29-35
Shah ISA, Wilson HCP, Abel PD, 2017, Cardiovascular toxicities of systemic treatments of prostate cancer: oestrogen to the rescue?, Nature Reviews Urology, Vol:14, ISSN:1759-4812
et al., 2017, A core outcome set for localised prostate cancer effectiveness trials., Bju International, Vol:120, ISSN:1464-4096, Pages:E64-E79
et al., 2016, Quality of life outcomes from the PATCH trial evaluating LHRH agonists versus transdermal oestradiol for androgen suppression in advanced prostate cancer, Bju International, Vol:119, ISSN:1464-4096, Pages:667-675