Transport Systems - CIVE96013
- To cover the principles of transport systems design in the wider context of the civil engineering profession. The design and execution of large transport infrastructure projects is a multi-layered exercise, with this module aiming to provide an overview of the key stages involved.
- To develop a good command of the concepts involved in traffic engineering, travel demand modelling, transport economics, environmental evaluation, logistics and supply chain management.
Freight Transport - CIVE97129
- The impact of recent trends in logistics and supply chain management on freight transport.
- Presentations on the strategic, tactical and operational levels of freight transport.
- Routing and scheduling methods used in tour and load planning.
- The developing field of mobile communication in freight transport.
- City logistics: the problems and solutions for freight transport in cities.
- The specialist fields of port logistics, construction logistics and hazardous material transport.
- Freight flow modelling techniques as used in national, regional and urban planning.
Operational Research and Systems Analysis - CIVE97004
To introduce the students to some of the operational research methods that are used in the systems approach to Engineering and Management, so as to provide them with the requisite tools for the mathematical representation of decision-making problems, in particular emphasising the roles of uncertainty and risk.
Mathematics I - CIVE40003
To introduce mathematics as a logical and structured discipline.
To ensure that all students acquire the mathematical knowledge and skills required for their First Year Civil Engineering course.
- To provide a basis for the more advanced mathematical techniques which are required in later years of the course.