Qualifications: BA, MSc Econ, PhD
Date of Birth: 16/11/46
- Long run energy technology and fuel transitions and their energy and environmental policy implications, in industrialised and developing countries;
- Urban energy systems and their sustainability;
- Sustainable innovation policy processes and transitions to lower carbon emitting energy systems.
- Specialist Advisor to the House of Commons Innovation, Universities, Science & Skills Select Committee’s Inquiry into Renewable Electricity Generation (2007-08).
- The Queen's Lecture 2007 at the Technical University of Berlin: "Energy Systems in Transition - No Future without Innovation."
- Chair, International Evaluation Panel on Environment and Societal Sciences for the Research Council for Biosciences and Environment (RCBE) of the Academy of Finland (2006); member, SUS-EN Sustainable Energy Panel (2007)
- Invited member EPSRC Peer Review College: 2005-2009;
- Invited member, EC’s Advisory Group on Energy (AGE) for 6th Framework RTD Programme (2002-2006);
- Invited reviewer, lead papers in The Energy Journal, Vol 27, special issue on Endogenous Technological Change and the Economics of Atmospheric Stablisation;
- Invited reviewer, International Energy Agency’s World Energy Outlook 2006;
- Invited member, UK National Audit Office Emissions Trading Review Expert Panel (2003-4);
- Chairman (1992, 2002), British Institute of Energy Economics (BIEE). BIEE Council member since 1990;
- The International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE) (Elected Vice President for Publications,two terms, 1994-97; Council Member, President's Appointment, 1993; ex officio 1994-97; Council Committee on Publications, appointed, 1990-92);
- Invited economic consultant to The Inspection Panel of the World Bank, to review the economic analyses of the Bujagali Dam Project (Uganda) (2001-02), the Chad/Cameroon Oil Pipeline Project (2001-02) and the Cartagena Water and Sewerage Project, Colombia (2004-05);
- Directed Surrey University's Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), 1989-1994.
- ESRC Global Environmental Change Research Fellowship on international energy-related environmental priorities - research in India, Hong Kong & South Korea (1993);
- Served on the editorial boards of: Energy Economics, Energy Policy, The Energy Journal, Journal of Natural Resources Policy Research.
- Co-founded Third World Energy Policy Study Group (1984).
- Secretary (1984-1991), The Input-Output Research Association (IORA)
- In the 1970s, spent two years at the Institute of Economic Growth in Delhi, coordinating ODA-funded collaborative research and modelling on income distribution, employment and growth.
Selected Recent Research Projects (as Principal Investigator):
- NERC bioenergy research consortium, TSEC-Biosys, 2005-09 (A whole-systems approach to analysing bioenergy demand and supply: mobilising the long-term potential of bioenergy).Dr Ausilio Bauen (email@example.com) is the overall project coordinator. The 13 consortium members and 3 associated organisations are: Imperial College London (Centre for Energy Policy and Technology (coordinator) – ICEPT; Centre for Process Systems Engineering; Biology), University of Surrey (Centre for Environmental Strategy), University of Southampton (School of Biological Sciences), University College London (Bartlett School of Planning), University of Glamorgan (Sustainable Environment Research Centre), University of Birmingham (School of Engineering), University of Aberdeen (School of Biological Sciences), Rothamsted Research, Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Institute for European Environmental Policy, Scottish Agricultural College; Associated organisations: University of Edinburgh (School of Geosciences), Forest Research, Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Management (ECCM).
- The UK Energy Research Centre''''''''s Technology & Policy Assessment Function, 2005-08. Robert Gross (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the manager of the TPA.
- ESRC Sustainable Technologies Programme Project Policy drivers and barriers for sustainable innovation, 2002-04: Project STP 106
- EPSRC The Development of A Hydrogen Energy Infras tru cture for London , 2002-05(GR/R50790/0)
- 2006 Campbell Watkins Energy Journal Best Paper Award (with Roger Fouquet), International Association for Energy Economics, 2006
- Presented poems on BBC Radio 4's Poetry Please! and on LBC radio.
- Winner, The Lockwood West Poetry Speaker's Prize, Speak-A-Poem 2000 (UK national poetry speaking competition), Central School of Speech & Drama, London
- Occasional presenter and poetry speaker at professional classical music concerts.
- Presentation at Between Nature: Explorations in Ecology and Performance (University of Lancaster, 2000): ''''''''A Phenomenology of Perception: peopled landscapes - body, environment and language in the poetry of Charles Tomlinson'.
- Acting on stage and video with various companies.
et al., 2013, Governing transitions: Cases and insights from two periods in the history of the UK gas industry, Energy Policy, Vol:52, ISSN:0301-4215, Pages:25-44
et al., 2012, The socio-technical transition of distributed electricity storage into future networks—System value and stakeholder views, Energy Policy, ISSN:0301-4215, Pages:449-457
et al., 2012, A socio-technical framework for assessing the viability of carbon capture and storage technology, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol:79, Pages:903-918
et al., 2011, The role of large scale storage in a GB low carbon energy future: Issues and policy challenges, Energy Policy, Vol:39, ISSN:0301-4215, Pages:4807-4815
Gravouniotis P, Bauen A, Pearson P, 2012, Building markets for energy saving equipment and modelling subsidy strategies in tourism dependent economies, International Conference on Clean Energy Solutions for Sustainable Environment (TerraGreen), ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV, Pages:131-146, ISSN:1876-6102