Data Assimilation ± Machine Learning = Data Learning
Elected member of the WMO (World Meteorological Organization), Rossella contributes to the development of AI models for Climate and Environmental impact as part of the data assimilation and observing systems working group.
Rossella is a lecturer in Data Science and Machine Learning at Imperial College London where she leads the Data Assimilation and Machine Learning (Data Learning) Group.
Rossella has been with the Data Science Institute at Imperial College since 2017, where she has created the Data Learning Group which is now a focal point for researchers and students of several departments at Imperial and other Universities in UK and Europe.
Since February 2022, she is the elected speaker of the Artificial Intelligence Network of Excellence at Imperial College, where she represents ~250 academics working on AI.
She collaborates with the Leonardo Centre at Imperial College Business School, where she contributes to the development of integrative, just and sustainable models of economic and social development by discovering, testing and diffusing new logics of business enterprise.
The models Rossella has developed have produced impact in many applications such as finance (to estimate optimal parameters of economic models), social science (to merge twitter and pooling data to better estimate the sentiment of people), engineering (to optimise the placement of sensors and reduce the costs), geoscience (to improve accuracy of forecasting), climate changes and others. She has developed accurate and efficient models with data analysis, fusion and data assimilation for incomplete, noisy or Big Data problems, always including uncertainty quantifications and minimizations.
She works on numerical and parallel techniques for accurate and efficient Data Assimilation and Machine Learning models. Efficiency is achieved by virtue of designing models specifically to take full advantage of massively parallel computers.
She finished her PhD in Computational and Computer Science in February 2012. She received the acknowledgement of Marie Sklodowska-Curie fellow from European Commission Research Executive Agency in Brussels in February 2017.
She is CO-I of several funded projects:
- the EPSRC - INHALE (Health assessment across biological length scales for personal pollution exposure and its mitigation) project.
- the EPSRC Marine Wave Energy Programme - New Generation Modelling Suite for the Survivability of Wave Energy Convertors in Marine Environments (WavE-Suite)
- the UKRI - Risk EvaLuatIon fAst iNtelligent Tool (RELIANT) for COVID19 project.
- Research Supervisor at the Leverhulme Centre for Wildfires, Environment and Society.
- the EPSRC - PREdictive Modelling with QuantIfication of UncERtainty for MultiphasE Systems (PREMIERE) project.
- also involved in several other projects which include the MAGIC (Managing Air in Green Inner Cities) project.
- She was PI of the H2020-RISE-2015-iNnovative Approaches for Scalable Data Assimilation in oCeanography project until September 2017.
She organises the annual workshop on Machine Learning and Data Assimilation for Dynamical Systems (MLDADS), a thematic track of the A-ranked International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS). Enjoy the videos of the previous editions of MLDADS:
- Fourth edition of the Workshop on Machine Learning and Data Assimilation for Dynamical Systems, MLDADS 2022, London - ICCS 2022
- Third Workshop on Machine Learning and Data Assimilation for Dynamical Systems, MLDADS 2021, virtual: videos available here
- Second Workshop on Machine Learning and Data Assimilation for Dynamical Systems, MLDADS 2020, virtual: videos available HERE
- First Workshop on Machine Learning and Data Assimilation for Dynamical Systems MLDADS 2019, Faro, Portugal - ICCS 2019
- Data Assimilating real images in Sneezing And Coughing Simulations for realistic predictions of Covid19 spread: https://sites.google.com/view/rossella-arcucci/covid19
- Imagination is the key: Imagine it ... then, do it!!!
et al., 2023, A reduced order with data assimilation model: Theory and practice, Computers and Fluids, Vol:257, ISSN:0045-7930
Quilodrán-Casas C, Arcucci R, 2023, A data-driven adversarial machine learning for 3D surrogates of unstructured computational fluid dynamic simulations, Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and Its Applications, Vol:615, ISSN:0378-4371
et al., 2023, Generalised latent assimilation in heterogeneous reduced spaces with machine learning surrogate models, Journal of Scientific Computing, Vol:94, ISSN:0885-7474, Pages:1-37
et al., 2023, Real-time updating of dynamic social networks for COVID-19 vaccination strategies, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, ISSN:1868-5137
et al., 2022, An efficient digital twin based on machine learning SVD autoencoder and generalised latent assimilation for nuclear reactor physics, Annals of Nuclear Energy, Vol:179, ISSN:0306-4549