Introduction to Fluid Dynamics (Online) - AERO97026
To introduce the basic elements of fluid flow in order to provide an introduction to the detailed specialised options that follow
Separated Flows and Fluid-Structure Interaction - AERO96007
To develop an understanding of the concepts of flow separation. This knowledge should help in determining, in each particular situation, what measures should be taken in order to avoid separation.
To develop an understanding of the concepts of fluid-structure interaction, in particular as applied to interaction of structures with separated flows. This knowledge should help in determining, in each particular situation, what measures should be taken in order to eliminate or reduce the loads on the structure.
Propulsion and Turbomachinery - AERO95008
- To develop an understanding of the concepts of aircraft propulsion concentrating on gas turbine and turbo-fan systems. In more detail, the objectives of the course are:
- To explain the basic concepts of aircraft propulsion and to introduce the parameters characterising engine performance.
- To build on the first year thermodynamic concepts of thermodynamic cycle analysis as applied to simple gas turbine engines. To teach the use of cycles for analysis of engine performance.
- To explain how to calculate the performance of turbojet and turbo-fan engines.
- To explain the basic concepts (boundary layer and heat transfer) essential for design of the components of turbojet engines.
- To introduce the basic ideas of the design of intakes, nozzles, and combustors.
- To explain the aerodynamic theory of cascades.
- To explain the principles of the compressor and turbine matching in a turbojet engine