Dr. Hassounah is a Senior Teaching Fellow at the Department of Primary Care & Public Health. She leads on health workforce capacity building through training and education, and is actively involved in health system strengthening research.
Sondus’s Background is in clinical practise. She trained in Medicine at Cairo University (MBBS), and worked for several years in medical oncology, harm reduction for HIV prone communities, and TB both locally and regionally. She received a Master in Public Health (MPH) from Imperial College London in 2012, a Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy in 2016, and a Diploma in University Learning and Teaching in 2018.
At Imperial’s School of Public Health her teaching portfolio includes the BSc in Global Health, the Master in Public Health and the Global Master in Public Health (Online). Her area of interest is health policy and systems research, with particular focus on health workforce. Her research and project portfolio includes collaborations with national governments, other academic institutions, NGOs, the World Health Organisation, The World Bank, and Public Health England.
- Barnett-Vanes A, Hassounah S, Shawki M, Ismail O, Fung C, Kedia T, Rawaf S, Majeed A et al., The impact of conflict on medical education: a cross-sectional survey of students and institutions in Iraq, BMJ Open (2019), ISSN: 2044-6055
- Shaikhan F, Rawaf S, Majeed A, Hassounah S. Knowledge, attitude, perception and practice towards antimicrobial use in upper respiratory tract infections in Qatar: a systematic review. RSM Shorts (2018)
- Banks C, Rawaf S, Hassounah S. Factors influencing the tobacco control policy process in Egypt and Iran: A scoping review. GHRP. Global Health Research and Policy (2017)
- Abou El Fadl R, Blair M, Hassounah S. Integrating Maternal and Children's Oral Health Promotion into Nursing and Midwifery Practice- A Systematic Review. PLOS One (2016)
- Binmoammar T, Hassounah SOA, Rawaf S, Majeed A, Alsaad S et al., The Impact of poor glycaemic control on the prevalence of erectile dysfunction in men with type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Systematic Review., JRSM open (2016), ISSN: 2054-2704
- Hassounah S (2014, November). The Right to Health: The challenge of securing good health in the Arab States. Poster presented at the 7th European Public Health Conference, Glasgow, UK. EJPH 24;2 (2014)
- Rawaf S. Hassounah S. Codification and Implementation of the ‘Right to Health’ in the Arab World. In: Toebes B, Ferguson R. Markovic M., Nnamuchi O. (eds.). The Right to Health: A Multi-Country Study of Law, Policy and Practice. T.M.C. Asser Institute and authors; 2014. P.135-165. ISBN 978-94-6265-013-8
- Hassounah S, Rawaf D, Khoja T, Rawaf S, Hussein M, Qidwai W, Majeed A. Tobacco Control efforts in countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC): Achievements & Challenges. EMHJ 2014;20:508-513
- Rawaf S, Hassounah S, Dubois E, Abdalrahman B, Raheem M, Jamil H and Majeed A. Living conditions in Iraq: 10 years after the US-led invasion. J R Soc Med 2014;107: 187
- FHI360-Guidelines for conducting HIV support groups. Cairo: FHI 360, 2012.
- FHI 360. Soliman C, Elkamhawi S, Hassounah S, Abaza O - FHIMeeting Adolescent Reproductive Health Needs in Egypt Final Report . Cairo: FHI 360, 2009.
- Ministry of Health-Egypt. HIV/AIDS Biological and Behavioural Surveillance Survey-Round two Summary Report. Cairo: MOH-Egypt, 2010.
Amati F, Hassounah S, Swaka A, 2019, The impact of Mediterranean dietary patterns during pregnancy on maternal and offspring health, Nutrients, Vol:11, ISSN:2072-6643
Banks C, Rawaf S, Hassounah S, 2017, Factors influencing the tobacco control policy process in Egypt and Iran: a scoping review, Global Health Research and Policy, Vol:2, ISSN:2397-0642
Abou El Fadl R, Blair M, Hassounah S, 2016, Integrating maternal and children's oral health promotion into nursing and midwifery practice- a systematic review, Plos One, Vol:11, ISSN:1932-6203, Pages:1-15