Popular science articles by Stephen
- The Guardian - "The bangs, crackles and hums of Earth's seismic orchestra" - Mar 2017
- The Conversation - "New Zealand quake study reveals ruptures can be much bigger than we thought possible" - Mar 2017
- The Guardian - "Rupture within tectonic plate is probable cause of Mexico earthquakes" - Sept. 2017
- The Guardian - "Africa is slowly splitting in two – but this 'crack' in Kenya has little to do with it" - Apr 2018.
- The Conversation - "Earthquake science could have predicted North Korea's nuclear climbdown" - May 2018.
LIVE Broadcast media appearances
Various live and recorded interviews for television and radio, including, but not limited to: BBC News Channel, BBC Radio 2 Jeremy Vine Show, BBC Radio 4 PM, BBC Radio 5 Live, TalkRadio, BBC World Service Science in Action, BBC Newsround.
Science and government policy
- Dec 2018 - Invited to take part in The Royal Society's Pairing Scheme in which I was paired with the UK Government Office for Science (GO-Science) and the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE). I also discussed UK Science Funding after Brexit with my local constituency Member of Parliament.
- Oct 2018 - Provided evidence for, and invited, as an academic expert, alongside other academics, regulators, and hydrocarbon operators, to the UK Oil and Gas Authority's workshop on the 2018 Newdigate earthquakes.
INVITED Seminars / talks
- Jan 2020 - Bullard Laboratories Geophysics Seminar, University of Cambridge
- Sept 2019 - British Seismology Meeting, Edinburgh
- May 2019 - Marine Geosciences Seminar, Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (IPGP)
news articles quoted in
- BBC News - May 2020 - Coronavirus lockdown reduces UK ground motions
- The Independent - April 2020 - Coronavirus lockdowns worldwide make Earth's crust move less, scientists find
- Washington Post - Jan 2020 - How a mysterious seismic hum led scientists to the birth of an enormous undersea volcano
- Exit News Albania - Nov 2019 - Seismologists Say Large Aftershocks Unlikely, Government Should Retrofit Buildings for Safety
- The Independent - Nov 2019 - Indonesia earthquake: Tsunami warning after 7.4-magnitude quake hits near Malaku islands
- BBC Future - July 2019 - The mystery of unexplained earthquakes
- BBC News - April 2019 - Surrey earthquakes: Is oil drilling causing tremors?
- BBC News - Feb 2019 - Surrey hit by another earthquake
- Reuters - Dec 2018 - Indonesia's latest tsunami raises global questions over disaster preparedness
- Scientific American - Dec 2018 - GeoBits: Unearthly, Bizarre and Shiny Edition
- Telegraph India - Dec 2018 - Freak tsunami a wake-up call to step up research
- Malaysia Daily Express - Dec 2018 - Indonesia's latest tsunami raises global questions
- The National Abu Dhabi - Dec 2018 - Unpredictability adds to the danger of volcanic tsunamis
- The Weather Channel - Dec 2018 - Unusual Seismic Waves Rumbling Around the Planet Likely Caused by Magma Shift, Experts Say
- National Geographic - Nov 2018 - Strange waves rippled around the world, and nobody knows why
- The Guardian - Nov 2018 - 'Magma shift' may have caused mysterious seismic wave event
- The Big Issue - Nov 2018 - Fact/Fiction: Should we be scared of fracking earthquakes?
- Forbes - Nov 2018 - 7.0 Quake Strikes Anchorage: Here Is Everything You Need To Know
- Nature - Oct 2018 - Italian earthquake data hint at possibility of forecasting one type of quake
- Get Surrey - Oct 2018 - Latest Surrey earthquake data makes it less likely they're linked to oil exploration, says seismologist
- Metro - Oct 2018 - Fracking stopped again in Lancashire after ‘biggest earthquake so far
- Get Surrey - Sep 2018 - https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/oil-drilling-can-not-ruled-15193450
- The Independent - Jul 2018 - Surrey earthquake mystery: Monitors installed near fossil fuel drilling sites amid ‘extreme concern’ from locals
- Bellingham Herald - Oct 2018 - Trio of large earthquakes recorded off Vancouver Island
- BBC News - June 2018 - Could an emoji save your life?
- USA Today - Sep 2017 - Hurricane Irma is so strong it's registering on devices designed to detect earthquakes
- BBC News - May 2015 - Quake heightens Nepal landslide concern.
- BBC Newsbeat - Apr 2015 - How to predict an earthquake (clue, you can't)