- His research includes the Ph.D. project on Digitally-enabeld Product Platform and Industrialized Construction fully funded by Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) and Centre for Systems Engineering and Innovation; recent research on Automation in Construction Safety and Digital Twins is funded by Innovation and Technology Commission, HKSAR Government
- Academic visitor at Chair of Innovative and Industrial Construction, ETH Zurich from Sept 2020 to Jan 2021
- Serial entrepreneur in AI, ConTech startups
His research interests lie in innovation strategies, new business models, and entrepreneurship in transforming construction. He also has great experiences in BIM, computational design, and industrialized construction.
- Chartered Engineer (CEng), Engineering Council
- Fellow of Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (FCIHT)
- Member of Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (MHKIE)
- Professional Member of The Hong Kong Institute of Building Information Modelling (MHKIBIM)
- CIC-Certified BIM Manager (CCBM)
Construction Young Innovator by CIC - 2022
Outstanding Paper in the 27th International Symposium on Advancement of Construction Management and Real Estate, 2022
HKIBIM 2021, 2020 Merit Prize for Projects
The HKIE Young Engineers Arthur & Louise May Memorial Scholarship, 2019, 2020, 2021
Teaching & Executive Education
- Lecturer (Executive Education), at Imperial College Business School for DfMA and IDD Leadership, DfMA and BIM Leadership
- Graduate Teaching Assistant - Business and Project Management (Undergraduate course), Innovation in Civil Engineering (Master course) at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Workshops for government authorities, including HKSAR Transport Department, Singapore BCA, etc.
2021- Co-founder of AutoSafe Limited. AutoSafe has raised over one million HK dollars from several government-led and other angel funds. It aims to bring advanced computer vision, and data analytics techniques to solve health and safety issues in one of the capstone sectors in the world
2018- Co-founder of MES Digital Limited in Hong Kong, a digital consultant has great exposure in Hong Kong and Malaysia. Trained as a civil and structural engineer and BIMer, Alexander has broad and hands-on business and research development experience in Hong Kong, mainland China, Macau, Malaysia, Switzerland, the UK. He is now leading the Group's BD and R&D strategies globally.
2014-2017 Civil & Structural Engineer with HKIE and Asia Allied Infrastructure Group, involved in several mega infrastructure projects in Hong Kong including MTRC Kwun Tong Line Extension, Wanchai Development II as well as several residential and commercial projects in Hong Kong, Macau, mainland China and Malaysia.
- PhD in Civil Engineering, Imperial College London, Thesis title: Industrialized construction and firm strategies: towards modularization and digitally-enabled product platforms
- MSc(Distinction) in Integrated Project Delivery, the University of Hong Kong
- BEng(Hons) in Civil Engineering, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University
et al., 2022, A novel Data-Driven framework based on BIM and knowledge graph for automatic model auditing and Quantity Take-off, Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol:54, ISSN:1474-0346, Pages:1-17
et al., 2022, A knowledge model-based BIM framework for automatic code-compliant quantity take-off, Automation in Construction, Vol:133, ISSN:0926-5805, Pages:104024-104024
Zhou A, Mosca L, Whyte J, Project-Based Firms and platforms: Cases of Digitally-Enabled Product Platforms, 37th EGOS Colloquium 2021, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) (Virtual)
Zhou A, Mosca L, Whyte J, Open platform and value appropriation: cases from digitally-enabled product platforms, 28TH IPDMC Innovation and Product Development Management Conference 2021