I study heart muscle diseases called cardiomyopathies. My research uses clinical studies, multi-omics deep phenotyping, genetics and advanced imaging to understand more about who gets these diseases, why they get them, and what we can do to improve outcomes for patients.
Awards and Prizes
Young Investigator Awards
May 2021: Winner of the American College of Cardiology Young Investigator Award (Clinical) (ACC, Atlanta, USA; held virtually).
Mar 2017: Winner of the American College of Cardiology Young Investigator Award (Clinical) (ACC, Washington, USA).
Feb 2017: Winner of the London Cardiovascular Society JRSM Cardiovascular Disease Young Investigator of the Year Award (The Medical Society of London).
Mar 2017: Second place in British Society of Cardiac MRI (BSCMR) Young Investigator Award and second place in BSCMR e-poster competition (Manchester).
Aug 2021: Shortlisted for L'Oreal UNESCO For Women in Science Award
Feb 2019: Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Clinical Science Seed Grant Award 2019
July 2018: Awarded Imperial College (National Heart Lung Institute) Best Thesis Prize 2018
July 2017: Highly commended oral presentation at the National Heart Lung Institute Post Graduate Research Day (Imperial College London).
June 2017: Evaluation of titin cardiomyopathy in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy reveals a blunted hypertrophic response, an early arrhythmic risk and a significant interaction with alcohol.
Poster, British Cardiac Society. Awarded BHF/BCS prize for the highest ranked abstract in the Valve Disease/Pericardial Disease/Cardiomyopathy category.
Feb 2015: Comprehensive Assessment Of Rare Genetic Variation In Dilated Cardiomyopathy Genes In Patients And Controls Poster, British Cardiac Society, June 2015. Awarded BHF/BCS prize for the highest ranked abstract in the Valve Disease/Pericardial Disease/Cardiomyopathy category.
Sept 2017: Finalist, Medical Research Council Max Perutz Science Writing Prize, Royal Institution London.
April 2017: Awarded 2nd place in the Imperial Graduate School 3 minute thesis competition (Imperial College London).
Mar 2017: Awarded European Society of Cardiology Congress Educational Grant (€850 grant and conference registration)
March 2012: Awarded ‘NEJM Scholar’ Status for winning essay competition. Invited to attend the 200th Anniversary Dialogues in Medicine Symposium, Harvard Medical School, June 2012.
July 2019: European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging Transoesophageal Echocardiography accreditation
Sept 2018: Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography Level 2 accreditation
Mar 2017: Awarded Level 3 EACVI (European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging) Cardiac MRI Certification
August 2014: Awarded British Society of Echocardiography Transthoracic Echocardiography Accreditation
June 2014: European Examination in General Cardiology (KBA): Passed
Mar 2009: Awarded Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (UK)
Leadership Roles and Committee Memberships
- The Royal Society Diversity Committee Invited to join June 2022-ongoing
- Contributing to advising The Royal Society on their diversity strategy and activities
- British Cardiovascular Society Clinical Standards Committee Trainee Representative, Nov 2020-ongoing
- Contributing to national audit and governance
- President, Trainees’ Committee, Royal Society of Medicine Oct 2017-Oct 2018.
- Led a committee of 20 doctors; responsible for formulating and delivering national training events for trainee doctors. Examples include events on Leadership, Wellbeing & Resilience and Humanitarian Medicine.
- Trainees’ Representative Cardiology Section, Royal Society of Medicine, London. June 2016-ongoing
- Working with Current and Past Presidents of Section, I led a major review of our training days for ST3-5 pan London/KSS cardiology trainees and updated all our content delivery in line with the cardiology curriculum and trainee needs.
- Introduced core and sub-speciality inherited cardiac conditions training.
- British Cardiovascular Society Education Committee Trainee Representative, Sept 2017- June 2020.
- Working with the BCS Education Committee Chair, council, and BCS executive branch, to ensure trainee interests are represented in content, delivery and access to BCS educational events.
- Trainee Representative British Society of Heart Failure, June 2017-9
- Secretary, Trainees’ Committee, Royal Society of Medicine April 2015
- Judge, National John Glyn Audit Prize, Royal Society of Medicine, London. Sept 2014.
I review manuscripts for the European Heart Journal, the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Circulation, the Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, the European Heart Journal: Case Reports, Circulation: Heart Failure, the Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research, Nature Scientific Reports, Heart and the International Journal of Cardiology.
I review grants for the Medical Research Council (UK), the Royal Society, the British Heart Foundation and the Netherlands Heart Society.
- Chapter on Aortic valve pathology for Challenging Concepts in Cardiovascular Medicine [Oxford University Press] (in press)
- Tayal U, Prasad SK, Germans T, van Rossum A. Dilated Cardiomyopathy. European Society of Cardiology Textbook of Cardiac Imaging [Oxford University Press], 2021.
- Chapter on Role of CMR in Dilated Cardiomyopathy in Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance A Companion to Braunwald’s Heart Disease, [Elsevier], 2018.
- Chapter on Dilated Cardiomyopathy and Myocarditis for the Diagnosis and Management of Adult Congenital Heart Disease, Gatzoulis, Webb and Daubeney, 3rd edition [Churchill Livingstone], 2017.