Dr Veronica Ferguson is an Ophthalmic Surgeon at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust which, with Imperial College, London, is part of the first Academic Health and Science Centre (AHSC) in the UK. Work as a consultant involves clinical work treating patients with eye problems, eye surgery (cataract surgery, routine and complex cases as well as adult strabismus treatments including surgery and botulinum toxin), training young ophthalmologists, teaching medical students, giving lectures, organising audit and supporting the management staff in the Ophthalmology Department within Imperial College NHS Trust.
Honorary Ophthalmology Appointments
- Surgeon Oculist to Her Majesty’s Household 2002- present
- Honorary Senior Lecturer Imperial College 1996- present
- King Edward VII’s Hospital (Sistr Agnes), Beaumont Street, London W1 1997- present
- St Luke’s Hospital for the Clergy, Consulting Ophthalmologist 2002- present
- Blind Veterans UK (formerly St Dunstan’s Charity for Blind Ex-Servicemen) Consulting Ophthalmologist 2004- present
- MB,BS (London) July 1983
FRCS (Glasgow) 1987
- FRCOphth 1989
- 1995 Completion of specialist training Ophthalmology
- GMC Registration Number: 2839563
- MDU Membership Number: 178485C
- BMA member
- Fellow of Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Fellow of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- British Isles Strabismus and PaediatricOphthalmology Association (BIPOSA)
- International Glaucoma Association
- UKISCRS (UK and Ireland Society for cataract and refractive surgeons)
- International Congress of Ophthalmology
- Royal Society of Medicine
- University: London University, Guy's Hospital Medical School 1978 - 1983
NHS Consultant Post
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London. Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon August 1996 - present
NHS Management appointments and committees
- Lead Clinician for Clinical Governance in Ophthalmology, ICHNST
- Chairman of Quality and Safety in Ophthalmology at ICHNT
- Member of the Imperial College Division of Ophthalmology Consultants and Management Committee
- Educational and Clinical Supervisor Courses and Conferences
- Consultants’ Job planning seminar, St Mary’s Hospital 2008
- Regional Education Support Unit to become a mentor for consultants 2003 Hammersmith Hospital
- Appraisal of consultants 2002 Hammersmith and St Mary's Hospitals
- Managing difficult doctors 2005 Hammersmith Hospital
- Job planning for consultants 2006 SMH
- Appraisal and assessment of specialist trainees 2007 Royal College, HH and WEH
- International Forum on Quality and Safety in Healthcare, Paris 22-25 April 08 organised by BMA, NHS, IHI
Educational and University commitments
- Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer Imperial College 1996-present
- Deanery interviewer for ARCP and RITA trainee interviews 2009-present
- Educational supervisor ophthalmology trainees (CX and WEH) 2006-present
- Clinical supervisor for Specialist Trainee GP doing Ophthalmology at CXH 2007- present
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, examiner 1999-2009
- Examiner for OSCEs, for medical students, Imperial College 1998- present
- Clinical supervisor for ophthalmology trainees (CX and WEH)1996-present
- CXH site, ophthalmology for medical students co-ordinator and assessor 1999- present
- Year 2 medical students optics practicals teacher 2006- present
- Ophthalmology for graduate entry medical students 2008-present
Royal College of Ophthalmologists appointments
- Regional Advisor for NW Thames March 2009-present
- Committee for recommendation of higher clinical excellence awards 2007
- College Tutor at Charing Cross Hospital (Hammersmith Hospitals NHS Trust) 2006-2013
- Ophthalmic Public Health committee member 2005-2009
- Regional representative for NW Thames on College Council 1999-2005
- Trustee of Royal College Ophthalmologists 1999-2005
- Executive Committee member 2001-2005
- Lay Advisory Group committee member 2004-2005
- Programme Secretary, organising the Annual Congress 1997-2000 (3 conferences)
- Member of Scientific Committee 1997-2000
- Ophthalmic Trainees Group representative for South Thames 1992-1996
Royal Society of Medicine
- Council member to Section of Ophthalmology 1999-2007
- Hon Secretary of section, arranging lecture programme and speakers 2000-2001
1. Recovery of the blood-aqueous barrier after cataract surgery
Ferguson VMG, Spalton DJ
Br J Ophthalmol. 1991; 75: 106-110
2. Longterm endothelial cell loss and breakdown of the blood-
aqueous barrier in cataract surgery
Ambrose VMG, Walters RF, Batterbury M, Spalton DJ, McGill JI
J of Cat and Refract Surg 1991; 17:622 - 627
3. Blood-aqueous barrier breakdown associated with
rhegmatogenous retinal detachment
Little BC, Ambrose VMG
Eye 1991; 5:56-62
4. Continued breakdown of the blood-aqueous barrier following
Ferguson VMG, Spalton DJ
Br J Ophthalmol 1992; 76:453 - 456
5. Quantification of the ocular response to treatment in
Ferguson VMG, Spalton DJ
Acta Ophthalmologica 1992; 70:824-31
6. Case Report: Orbital plexiform neurofibroma in childhood
Ferguson VMG, Kyle PM
Br J Ophthalmol 1993; 77:527-8
7. Scanning laser ophthalmoscopy in the detection of diabetic retinopathy
Ferguson VMG, Wykes WN, Pyott AA
Investig Ophth Vis Sci 1993; 34:abstract 69
8. Detection of diabetic retinopathy by scanning laser ophthalmoscopy
Pyott A, Wykes WN, Ferguson VMG
Eye 1994 8:437-439
9. Corneal morphology and visual results following epikeratoplasty for keratoconus
Ferguson VMG, Heyworth PL, Buckley RJ et al
Investig Ophth and Vis Sci 1994; 35:abstract
10. Life with the Ophthalmic Trainees Group
Ophthalmology News (SW Thames bulletin), Sept. 1994
11. Women in Surgery
MWF Newsletter (London), October 1994
12. Reproducibility of blood and ocular fluorescence measured by fluorophotometry and
high performance liquid chromatography
Ferguson VMG, Spalton DJ
Investig Ophth and Vis Sci 1995; 36:abstract 3336
13. Ocular fluorescence and recovery of the eye following cataract surgery
14. Visual recovery under glare conditions following laser capsulotomy
Wilkins M, McPherson R, Ferguson VMG
Eye 1996; 10:117-20
15. Corneal infiltration after recurrent corneal epithelial erosion.
Ionides AC, Tuft SJ, Ferguson VM, Matheson MM, Hykin PG.
Br J Ophthalmol. 1997 Jul;81(7):537-40.
PMID: 9290363 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
16. Per-operative retinoscopy as a predictor of final post-operative refraction.
Tappin MJ, Ferguson VM.
Eye. 1999 Aug;13 ( Pt 4):559-61.
PMID: 10692931 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
17. Psoriasis, psoriatic arthropathy and relapsing orbital myositis: paediatric case
Ajitsaria R, Dale R, Ferguson V, Mayou S, Cavanagh N.
Clin Exp Dermatol. 2001 May;26(3):274-5.
PMID: 11422174 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
18. Maxillary antral adenoid cystic carcinoma: an unusual presentation.
Muhtaseb M, Ferguson V, Nigar E.
Eye. 2001 Jun;15(Pt 3):354-6. No abstract available.
PMID: 11450747 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
19. Surgical performance for specialties undertaking temporal artery biopsies:
who should perform them?
Fong K, Ferguson V.
Br J Ophthalmol. 2003 Mar;87(3):373-4. No abstract available.
PMID: 12598470 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
20. Familial Bell's palsy in females: a phenotype with a predilection for eyelids and
Zaidi FH, Gregory-Evans K, Acheson JF, Ferguson V.
Orbit. 2005 Jun;24(2):121-4.
21. Recombinant tissue plasminogen activator (r-TPA) in fibrin dissolution due to
Riaz Y, Mehta JS, Fernando A, Ferguson V.
Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2006 Oct;35(10):723-5.
PMID: 17102897 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
22. Guidance at bmj.com/advice [Side effect of glaucoma treatment
Shahram Kashani, Ashna Amin, Veronica Ferguson
BMJ, 2006; 332: 498
23. Intraocular pressure measurement and goldmann calibration. An eye opening review of practice in United Kingdom.
Ng J, Kashani S, Qureshi K, Ferguson V.
Eye. 2007 Jun;21(6):851-3. Epub 2007 Feb 2. No abstract available.
PMID: 17259916 [PubMed - in process]
24.Patient satisfaction of the cataract care pahway in a general hospital versus standalone eye unit M Moosajee, S Ameen, V Ferguson, A Mearza (poster at UKISCRS November 2010)