Water Quality Engineering and Ecohydrology - CIVE97055
- To introduce water quality issues, and the basic concepts of surface water quality assessment, modelling and engineering. Models of pollution transport are described.
- To cover methods of modelling organic pollution, nutrients, toxins and sediment quality in rivers and lakes. Through a combination of lectures and practical sessions, dynamic models of river and lake water quality are described and developed.
- Students are taught how to develop their own models, and are introduced into how models are used in practice.
- The course concludes with two lectures on catchment water quality management and two on hydro-ecology.
Meteorology and Climate Change - CIVE97045
- To provide an introduction to the atmospheric processes which govern the earth’s and which control the surface water fluxes of the hydrological cycle.
- To synoptic overview of the earth’s energy budget as a major driver for planetary-scale motion and atmospheric instabilities. This includes the issue of climate change, the possible reasons for climate change, and natural variability of climate.
- To explain the synoptic and local processes that drive rainfall generation at different spatial and temporal scales.
- To introduce global and regional climate models and their use in weather forecasts and climate change projections.
Hydrometry - CIVE97043
- To introduce the concepts and techniques used in hydrometry, focusing on description of the theory and practice behind traditional, new, and future techniques of measuring hydrological fluxes.
- To cover the theoretical basis of streamflow and precipitation measurements, drawing on theory from associated modules, but concentrating on the practical issues governing choice of methods, accuracy and cost.
- To introduce new and emerging methods for hydrometeorological measurements, with focus on remote sensing and pervasive sensing networks.
- Describe and discuss data storage, quality control further processing.
Environmental Engineering: Water Resource and Supply - CIVE50004