Imperial College is consistently ranked in the top 5 UK universities and in the top 10 worldwide. Projects are always available. Students and postdocs interested in pursuing research associated with the following themes are encouraged to get in touch with me directly to discuss ideas and available opportunities.
MARINE BIOGEOCHEMISTRY OF CARBON AND THE MAJOR NUTRIENTS
THE BEHAVIOUR OF METALS, STABLE AND RADIO-ISOTOPES IN THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT
THE COASTS: RIVERS AND ESTUARIES
OCEAN CIRCULATION AND CLIMATE
PERFORMANCE AND BIASES OF GLOBAL CLIMATE MODELS
FORMATION AND DISTRIBUTION OF WATER MASSES
POLAR AND SUBPOLAR ENVIRONMENTS
CLIMATE AND ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGE
POLLUTION AND CONSERVATION
LARGE SCALE, TRANSNATIONAL POLLUTION ISSUES
MARINE PROTECTED AREAS
RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS AND POSTDOCS
Aside from funding available to the group from research grants, prospective students and researchers are also encouraged to pursue the following opportunities, depending on level or scientific area of interest.
- Imperial College Research Fellowship: offers a competitive salary, mulitple levels of support and opportunities for career development and up to 45K£ in research funds during 4 years.
- UK Research & Innovation Future Leaders Fellowship: a cross-UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) scheme open to both UK and international applicants to support early career researchers and innovators from diverse career paths for up to 7 years.
- NERC Independent Research Fellowship: offers funding for salary and research for 5 years
- Royal Society University Reseach Fellowship
- ESRC Early Career Fellowship
- STFC Ernest Rutherford Fellowship
FOR PROSPECTIVE PHD STUDENTS:
PhD studies at Imperial College last 3.5 years. Various sources of funding are available for successful applicants. These cover tuition fees and pay RCUK-rate bursaries of approximately £16,500 per year.
FUNDING SOURCES & DOCTORAL PROGRAMMES
- Most of the funding for students comes from various sources, typically NERC Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTP), Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Centers for Doctoral Training (CDT), Science & Technology Facilities Council support (STFC) or Industrial CASE partnerships.
- Relevant programmes are: the Science and Solutions for a Changing Planet DTP, the NERC Oil & Gas CDT, the CDT in Fluid Dynamics Across Scales and the CDT in the Mathematics of Planet Earth
- Specific Scholarships also exist, including the Janet Watson Scholarship (Earth Sciences only), the Presdient's PhD Scholarship and the Beit Fellowship
FOR ANYONE WILLING TO PURSUE MASTER'S COURSES RELATED TO ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES:
- Applied Computational Science & Engineering MSc
- Climate Change, Management and Finance MSc
- Environmental Engineering MSc
- Hydrology and Business Management MSc
- Metals and Energy Finance MSc
- Petroleum Geosciences MSc
- Environmental Technology MSc
- Computational Methods in Ecology and Evolution MSc
- Conservation Science MSc
- Ecosystem and Environmental Change MRes
- Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Research MRes
- Sustainable Energy Future MSc