Calendar of upcoming events
PFDC Writing Away Day
Are you currently working on or planning to work on a piece of writing such as a fellowship application (incl. intermediate/advanced fellowships) or a paper and need dedicated time and space to focus on just that? If so, check out the details of the upcoming PFDC writing away day on 17 June 2019.
A one day writing away day provides postdocs, fellows and clinicians (post-PhD and final year Clinical Research Fellows actively pursuing an academic career at Imperial) with dedicated time/space, expert advice and mentoring to work on a piece of writing and to be part of a community of writers. The writing away day will enable you to:
- Dedicate a full day out of your workplace to focus on writing
- Discuss, agree and evaluate specific goals to be achieved
- Work alongside your peers in a motivating and supportive environment
- Identify and put in place strategies to eliminate distractions (e.g. procrastination)
- Benefit from optional 20 min advisory sessions with experts in their field
Closing date for applications: 11 June 2019. To find out more about the writing away day and access the application form, follow this link.
Future writing days and retreats will take place on following dates:
- Mon 9 - Tue 10 Sept 2019: Writing Retreat (two consecutive days off campus, no overnight stay, must attend both days)
- Wed 6 Nov 2019: Writing Day @ White City Campus
- Wed 13 Nov 2019: Writing Day @ SK Campus
- Thu 16 – Fri 17th January 2020: Writing Retreat ((two consecutive days off campus, no overnight stay, must attend both days
Fellows and Clinicians Forum
The summer term Fellows and Clinicians Forum will take place on Wed 3 July 2019 at 3 – 5 pm at 58 Princes Gate, South Kensington.
The purpose of the forum is to provide our fellows and clinicians with a regular platform to interact, share expertise and build cross-discipline contacts across the College with the aim to enhance their careers. The format will continuously evolve along with changing needs and priorities. Previous forums focussed on building collaborations – ethics, fears, misconceptions and approaches to effective collaborations, advancing your career through networking with peers and career advice from academics few steps ahead. Further info and feedback on previous forums can be found on the past events and gallery page on our website.
Register via Qualtrics by Wed 19 June.
Fellows & Clinicians [Women only event]: “In conversation with academic women: strategies for managing challenging situations”
Thursday, 11 July 2019 (15:30 – 17:00 pm) at White City Campus: Room G27 at The Molecular Sciences Research Hub (MSRH).
This event forms part of the programme of support for Imperial fellows and clinicians and is aimed at women only in response to the feedback from the fellows and clinicians community across all faculties. In particular, this event will provide opportunities to:
- Interact in an informal, confidential and supportive setting
- Discuss and practice strategies to address challenging situations/conversations
- Listen to the advice from academic women at Imperial College – clinical and non-clinical
- Learn from the experiences of academic women at different career stages/paths
Academic women who have kindly agreed to share their advice and expertise:
- Professor Liz Lightstone PhD FRCP, Professor of Renal Medicine
- Professor Clare Lloyd, Vice-Dean (Institutional Affairs), National Heart & Lung Institute
- Dr Vicky Salem, Senior Clinical Research Fellow, Department of Medicine
Registration: sign up via qualtrics by 4 July 2019.