Overview of support for Postdocs
We would like to extend a warm welcome to you to Imperial and congratulate you on your new appointment.
As a member of staff at a world-leading research institute, you have access to a broad range of support and development opportunities, including those provided by the Postdoc and Fellows Development Centre (PFDC).
Imperial is dedicated to the support and development of all its research staff, as highlighted in its Strategic Plan for 2020-2025. The College is a signatory of the Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers and it is important to us to ensure that you make the best use of your allocated 10 days of professional development pro rata per year.
How we can help you
The PFDC supports you from the start to the finish of your journey at Imperial and help you to make the most of your time as a researcher – to develop you both professionally and personally.
An induction checklist
Below are some suggestions for PFDC activities to attend and development resources to make use of when you first start at Imperial:
- Attend a PFDC Welcome Induction; you will receive an invitation from the PFDC via email when you first start.
- Meet your departmental PFDC postdoc rep.
- Set up your College Professional Web Page.
- If this is your first postdoc, attend the three-day residential course ‘Making the Most of Your Postdoc’, designed to equip you in the early stages of your career with the skills and resources needed to plan your career and achieve success as a postdoc. Look for dates in our calendar.
- Have a look at the PFDC Course Directory to see what courses and workshops you would like to attend
- Become a mock interview panellist to experience the interview process.