AR Spine Point Mapping Tool
A&R Spine Point Mapping Tool
An A&R Spine Point Mapping Tool and guidance has been developed to assist with entering the NEW spine point and transition allowance into InfoEd.
To mitigate the risk of future shortfalls in funding due to under costing, it is essential that staff are mapped to the correct grade and spine point on the NEW pay scale before completing the salary costing. It is the responsibility of the Department/Division to check each proposal before submission to Research Services/Joint Research Office for institutional approval.
When an existing staff member’s CURRENT grade and spine point are entered into the mapping tool, the appropriate spine point on the NEW salary scale will be generated, along with the appropriate transition allowance.
For further information, please see below.
1) 2018 Pay Award
The College’s agreed pay offer will be applied by HR to the current Academic & Research job family levels and Professional Technical & Operational job family levels with effect from 1st August 2018.
2) NEW Academic and Research pay scale
The new A&R salary structure will be implemented by HR in 2 stages:
- Academic staff will move onto the new scale from 1 August 2018
- Research staff will follow and move onto the new scale from 1 April 2019
Since the new salary scale has fewer spine points than the current scale (29 spine points compared to 52), existing staff will be transferred to the appropriate spine point on the new scale based on length of service with the College or salary on appointment. This means that some staff will also receive a transition allowance which will be paid from 1 August 2018 to 30 September 2019.
(NB: The Professional Technical & Operational pay family structure will remain unchanged)
3) InfoEd Changes
The new Academic and Research pay scale will be available in InfoEd from 1 August 2018.
a) Re-labelling A&R pay scale
- NEW Academic and Research (London) pay scale will be called Imperial Academic and Research wef 2018
- NEW Academic and Research (WYE) pay scale will be called Imperial Academic and Research wef 2018 WYE
- CURRENT Academic and Research (London) pay scale will be called xx Academic and Research DO NOT USE
- CURRENT Academic and Research (WYE) pay scale will be called xx Academic and Research WYE DO NOT USE
b) Interfacing existing staff to InfoEd from HR system
- Existing academic staff will move onto the new A&R scale from 1 August 2018
This means their salary details will be interfaced into InfoEd on the appropriate NEW spine point or Pay Band.
- Existing research staff will move onto the new A&R scale from 1 April 2019
This means their salary details will interfaced into InfoEd on their existing spine point on the CURRENT Academic and Research salary scale.
c) Costing Academic and Research staff on InfoEd
To minimise the risk of under costing, it is considered prudent to use the NEW A&R scale for all proposals (since the average gap between proposal submission and award is approximately 6-9 months).
*** All Academic and Research staff should be costed on proposals using the NEW pay scale ***
- Existing RESEARCH staff - from 1st August 2018, salary details of which must be manually adjusted to reflect their appropriate NEW grade and spine point for costing purposes
- To Be Appointed RESEARCH or ACADEMIC staff - from 1st August 2018, salary details should reflect the appropriate NEW grade and spine point for costing purposes
- Existing ACADEMIC staff - there is no need to take further action because these staff will interface to InfoEd from the HR system on the correct grade and spine point