Create an ORCID iD and connect to Symplectic
ORCID isn't only for researchers
Anyone who contributes to research and education at Imperial is encouraged to create and use ORCID
Creating an ORCID iD via Symplectic means your iD is automatically linked to your Symplectic profile. This allows Symplectic to read and claim publications found in your ORCID profile, saving you the need to check updates on both Symplectic and ORCID.
Or you might already have an ORCID iD and need to link it to Symplectic.
If you are an Imperial member of staff or student without a Symplectic profile, create your ORCID directly at the ORCID website.
1. Log in to Symplectic Elements with your College username and password. Scroll down the first page and click on Add your ORCID to help us find your publications across the web to create your new ORCID iD and link it to Symplectic, or to link your existing ORCID iD to Symplectic.
2. You will be taken to the ORCID login page. Either log in if you have an account already or create a new account.
3. If your email address is already in use, try signing in or reset your password.
4. Add Imperial College London as your employment organisation, as well as other current or previous employment details you wish to add. You can control what information appears on the public ORCID record using the 'Set visibility' filter.
5. Link publications as Works.
Whilst ORCID doesn’t store articles or preprints, it holds records of the publications. Click on Add works and then Search & link to see options of other databases that you can search for your publications and other outputs. Crossref Metadata Search is recommended for searching for articles by title or author, Datacite for adding non-article outputs (such as datasets) or Scopus Author ID for adding multiple records.
Your ORCID iD
You own your iD
Your ORCID iD can stay with you throughout your entire professional career and move with you between organisations