Research into the strength characteristics of amorphous metals, at high pressures and strain rates. Particularly looking into the re-crystalisation/phase change from amorphous to partially crystaline states and the governing strength mechanisms.
Current & Future Projects include:
- Experimenter at the Dimaond Light Source 3rd Gen Light source - X-ray phase contrast imaging of plate-imact experiments. (Sep 2013)
- Research into stregnth and re-crystalisation prpoerties of BMGs and amporhous metals under laser shock loading.
- Assisting in commisioning of the new macro-pulse laser & target chamber.
- Undergraduate laboratory demonstrator. (2013/14 Academic year)
- Building a 'Cross-hair' line-imaging VISAR velicometer for use on stripline experiments.
- Stripline target optimosation for MACH generator unifrom pressure wave experiments.
Previous projects include:
- Development of the MACH facility in the 'Physics in Extreme Conditions' Lab.
- Experimenter at the Janus Laser at the Jupiter Laser facility (Line VISAR & X-ray Diffraction measurments on the temperature and composition dependance on strength of Iron-Nickel Alloys).
- Novel gas-gun experiment plate impact experiment to determine shock wave velocity suitable for large bore light gas-guns.
- Building a combined Transverse & Normal Displacement Interferometer TDI/NDI.
- Use of X-rays as a diagnostic tool in 'Shock Physics' (Literature Review).
Talks and Presentations:
- "X-VISAR: Simultaneous perpendicular line-imaging VISAR." - Talk at Spatial Velocimetry Workshop, Institute of Physics, Sep 2013.
- "X-VISAR: Orthogonal Velocimetry" - Poster at APS-SCCM Seattle, July 2013.