Move More Programme
Our goal is to enable every member of the Imperial community to reach 150 minutes of physical activity per week, in line with the Chief Medical Officer’s recommendation. We understand that it can be hard to integrate physical activity into your daily routine on top of work and family commitments, so we developed our Move More programme.
About the Move More Programme
What is the Move More Programme?
Move More is a 10-week health and wellbeing programme aimed at improving overall wellbeing using physical activity as the catalyst. The programme is designed to equip participants with the skills, confidence, and resources to lead a more active and healthier lifestyle.
During the Move More programme participants will have access to:
- 1:1 personal training at Ethos
- Bespoke group exercise classes
- Educational presentations and workshops
- Just Move classes and activities
Who is the Move More Programme for?
The Move More programme is for people who do not currently meet the Chief Medical Officer’s recommended guidelines of 150 minutes of physical activity per week.
This programme is also well suited to people who are:
- Starting their physical activity journey
- Returning to physical activity after a period of inactivity
- Managing a long-term health condition
- Experiencing a low-level mental health condition
- Lacking in confidence/knowledge to exercise safely and effectively
- At risk of developing a health condition due to inactivity/leading a sedentary lifestyle
Why should I participate in the Move More Programme?
Physical activity is proven to have a positive effect on wellbeing as well as overall quality of life. Physical activity can reduce people’s chances of developing health conditions such as: coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and cancer. Physical activity also has proven mental health benefits. When we exercise our body releases feel-good hormones which can reduce stress, anxiety and help us sleep better!
We appreciate that starting your physical activity journey can seem daunting and that’s why we are here to help. Throughout the programme you will have an assigned member of our Active Lifestyles Team who will mentor you, over 90% of our previous participants agreed that their mentor motivated them to stay physically active throughout the programme!
The programme is designed specifically to support people who are new to exercise or may feel anxious about taking the first steps of becoming more physically active therefore all sessions are beginner-level and 1:1 sessions are personalised to your health goals.
How does the Move More programme work?
Once accepted onto the Move More programme you will have to attend a 30-minute welcome appointment at Ethos Sports Centre. During this appointment we will:
- Discuss the programme in more detail
- Discuss your personal goals and targets
- Discuss any extra support you may need
- Complete a Boditrax scan to assess baseline physical health data
- Complete a survey to find out more about your current physical activity and wellbeing levels
- Give you the opportunity to ask any questions you have
The programme will run for 10 weeks (Monday 18 September – Friday 24 November) during this time you will be able to do the following:
- Attend up to 2 bespoke group exercise classes per week
- Meet your physical activity mentor once every two weeks
- Engage with educational workshops
- Attend Just Move classes and activities (unlimited)
How do I register for the Move More programme?
To participate in the programme we ask that you are:
- A current Imperial staff member
- Currently achieving less that 150 minutes of physical activity per week
- Willing to share your motivation for joining the programme
- Available to attend a 30-minute welcome appointment at Ethos
- Available from Monday 18 September - Friday 24 November with no known prolonged periods of leave during this time
- Working at South Kensington campus 3 days per week or able to travel flexibly to South Kensington campus 3 days per week
- Available to attend Ethos Sports Centre several times per week to engage in classes and appointments
- Willing to meet your physical activity mentor in-person at least twice during the programme
- Available to attend a 30-minute end of programme review appointment at Ethos
The Move More programme is currently full. If you would like to be considered for a future cohort and feel you would benefit from the programme please fill out this form to be added to the waiting list.
Who can I contact for more information?
If you have any further questions about the Move More Programme, please email our Wellbeing Manager, Abby Sanderson.